STACK

4.5 (1,386)
Write a Review!
Takeoff, estimating, project management & field productivity

(1,386)

Shujjah
Shujjah

I Recommend STACK to all the constructional firms

Reviewed on 2022-09-12

In my view, STACK is such a masterpiece and a great advancement to TAKEOFF progression. The most important feature is the lightning-fast results in a half of a time as compared to other similar kind of software. The AUTOCAD style of drawings is one of the highlights of STACK especially the linear drop function with appropriate distances. In addition, this software is very easy to understand and even a person with basic knowledge of using web-based computer software can easily work on it.

Pros

Multitask operation in a single window
Fast to navigate and accurate in results
Easy to understand and use
Takeoffs made easy and speedy

Cons

Offline version is not available
Undo command must be available in upcoming versions

Alejandro

• Customer Support Software

Very good but needs more features...

Reviewed on 2021-10-07

Great but could be better

Great but could be better

Pros

Easy to use. Friendly for any user. Easy to access from anywhere, no software needed in the office computers.

Cons

I want to be able to duplicate jobs so I can do a new takeoff when I get new drawings without altering the previous takeoff. I also want to be able to move the order of the drawing tabs and change the order as needed.

PlanSwift

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Cheaper option, friendly for new users

AutoCAD Architecture

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Other team members decided they liked Stack more
Elijah

• Customer Support Software

Worst customer service I have encountered across any platform.

Reviewed on 2022-02-04

(stated in terms and conditions), they were going to make an exception, and provide me a full refund. 6 hours later, [SENSITIVE CONTENT] called me back to inform me she had called the wrong customer, and they were not going to be able to give me a refund after all. After going over the above scenario again, she said that as an adult, I should take responsibility for completing the sale without taking the time to read through the terms and conditions. Nothing like being insulted by a “Customer Success Manager”. I told her I would like to speak with her supervisor, and she assured me I would be contacted by EOD today. I was not. I have been in the industry for some time, and for a zero-refund policy to be enforced on a product with virtually no demo is unheard of, especially when they can log on and see that I have received NOTHING of value from them. Instead, Stack has resorted to bullying and insults. She also assured me all upcoming trainings would be canceled, but I wound up doing that after both trainers reached out to me. At this point, it is possible she “forgot” to put the request in, like she “forgot” to cancel the upcoming trainings. Just make sure you want to be married to these guys for a full year before you sign!

Pros

The trainer was knowledgeable and polite, but software itself was clunky and over complicated. Too many options with slight variations for the same things.

Cons

My experience with Stack’s customer service has been the worst I have ever encountered. I am a new business owner in the construction industry in Florida. We do have a good network of clients, but it is small, and I told the salesman that I only do a handful of new builds a year and I could not justify Stack’s high yearly rate. The “demo” for stack only comes with 10 measurements and he insisted I would see the value once I had full access the system. He also offered a 25% discount if I completed the sale with him on the phone (a tactic to push you into a rushed decision which I stupidly fell for). I said I would try it out and we went through the purchasing process. Again, feeling as though I was against the clock and trying to rush through while on the phone, I did not click the terms and conditions link. I was then set up for 3 trainings, each an hour long. A lot of training, for an easy-to-use program…After the first training it became abundantly clear this program would bring no value to my company. No harm no foul right? I contacted the Customer service rep and informed them that, as I thought, this program was not right for me, and I would like a refund. It was inside a week, and I had not produced anything close to a useable quote. I stay very busy, and do not have time to take classes on how to constantly update this software. I was contacted a day or so later by [SENSITIVE CONTENT] to inform me that, even though it is against their policy to issue ANY refunds

Layne

Great Option for Takeoff Software

Reviewed on 2022-05-09

STACK is a great solution for takeoffs - I previously used On Screen Takeoff which I really enjoyed using, but STACK offers a better user experience in my opinion. I am overall pleased with how the software works.

Pros

Takeoff is very easy to use, Assemblies feature is amazing and saves so much time once it is setup. I appreciate that the system is cloud based, this really makes things run much more smoothly and easily. Integrations with Dropbox and Google Drive are also helpful.

Cons

Organization of takeoffs could be improved. There is no undo button which sounds minimal but it can be extremely cumbersome at times. I also dislike that measurements can't be set to round to the nearest whole number - who honestly needs to measure down to a tenth of an inch shown in decimal format? These are really minor things in the overall user experience but annoying nonetheless. Overall I am very happy with Stack over alternative options for takeoff software.

PlanSwift, Square Takeoff and OnScreen

Reasons for Switching to STACK

Assemblies feature, benefits of a cloud based system, abilities of software compared to competitors
Selene

Very Streamlined, Simple Estimating Utility

Reviewed on 2021-10-18

Stack is the customer service I measure all other customer service by. They are friendly, nice and helpful! They are super easy to reach as well from right inside Stack! They don't always have the answers, but if they can find them they will! Their knowledge database in stack is also pretty extensive so it's easy to find most of your easier answers in there yourself.

Pros

Stack is, hands down, one of the simplest solutions I've found for doing takeoffs. Depending on the industry, it's possible it may be too simple, however for the purposes of drywall and paint it is perfect. Building assemblies in Stack really streamlines the whole takeoff process, saving a lot of time and headache when it comes down to the little details. It's also super easy to learn due to how uncomplicated Stack's tool and interface are. You can make things much more complicated for more detailed accuracy, but you don't have to.

Cons

I'd like a few more options when it comes to proposal generation, but this is still a fairly new feature within Stack. Being able to fine tune the formatting would be helpful.

John

Job Cost Estimating

Reviewed on 2019-11-19

I have literally increased my productivity by 1,000% I am doing 10-times more bids and with much greater accurracy, no one questions my take offs.

Pros

The use of pop-ups when you "Mouse-Over" items is very effective, makes things very intuitive, lessens time-to-learn how to use the system.

Cons

Need to have more than 50 characters when naming take-off items, at least 100 characters.

Joe

• Customer Support Software

We couldn't do what we do without STACK!

Reviewed on 2021-02-26

Nothing but positive.

Nothing but positive.

Pros

All the takeoff tools available to us allow my team and I to not only perform takeoffs, but do simple shop drawings and sketches. There's always new technology available for no additional charge.

Cons

The only complaint I would ever have would be when OUR internet is slow, something the STACK doesn't control.

Chris

Stack

Reviewed on 2019-12-03

Pros

The functions and takeoff procedures has really helped speed up my takeoff process.

Cons

The web based software sometimes leads to lags/glitches when zooming in and out. If you zoom in and do your take off then zoom out to continue your takeoff it does not start your take off right away, and you have to click twice to initiate the new takeoff.

Jason

Low learning curve

Reviewed on 2019-11-21

We've handles jobs from a few thousand to millions and the PMs love our cost break outs

Pros

Stack allowed us to quickly make the switch from more costly and out of date software. It's platform independence means we can access our files from the field anytime. The low learning curve means I can have assistants up and running in a day or two.

Cons

Dependence on Microsoft Excel for reports

Akshika
Akshika

• Customer Support Software

Applications that Keep Getting Better may be estimated quickly and easily using Stack

Reviewed on 2022-12-18

Pros

The stack is top-notch from the start. The program is just well-made, from the user-friendly interface to the comprehensive and customizable repository of parts and assemblies. It enables rapid and simple takeoffs from any PC in the world. The developers receive excellent support, and they are always working on a big list of suggestions for improvements from the user base. The level of support is unmatched, the STACK experts are always accessible to help, and frequent updates, webinars, and one-on-one training keep users informed about changes made to the software or advice on how to get the most out of it.

Cons

Limited capabilities, the worst take-off software I've ever used, and fraudsters on staff who promise callbacks after taking you off your hard-earned money. They don't have a refund policy. Additionally, instead of you a discount if you add a second user, they charge you twice as much. It might be difficult to accurately assess the benefits Stack can provide during the trial time.

Chris

Simple and Flexible

Reviewed on 2021-10-12

Pros

The ability to create involved assemblies of products and simply click to add all the right products for each situation is a serious time saver.

Cons

The product and pricing lists need to be easier to manage and update. We have pricing updates or new products about every quarter. To update that info is a hassle to do it one at a time or having to work through support to get an export then format all the new data then send it back to import it.

Procore Estimating

Reasons for Choosing STACK

With System Surveyor we were limited on the number of items we could have on any given survey. We often exceeded the items allowed.
Ignacio

• Customer Support Software

Not bad but could be a lot better

Reviewed on 2023-07-31

Again, I would need to go through a whole lot of questions and requests I've made through tech support and find out that 80% or more of them are not features included in Stack.

Pros

it's fairly easy to use if you only use the basics. The think that I like and the reason why I personally pushed for this software is the fact that is web-based providing liberty to use any platform (Mac or PC) and basically work from anywhere.

Cons

It's easy to use for those who work the basics. For others like me that like to get the most out of it, quite honestly there is a lot to improve. I would need to go through a whole lot of questions and requests I've made through tech support and find out that 80% or more of them are not features included in Stack. It's a little disappointing the way some aspects are handled.

Matt

Simple and Easy to Use!

Reviewed on 2017-01-24

For very quick masonry estimates, nothing beats this software. For more advanced/detailed prints, as long as you take your time this will work just fine. I haven't seen a friendlier piece of software at an affordable price that gives you want you need without being headache to setup.

Pros

We looked for a very long time for a very simple takeoff program and this is definitely it. We have used this program for the past year and a half to get measurements on masonry and it has not failed us. Our trade does not need super advanced features so this suites us perfectly. If you have a properly scaled PDF then you can hit the ground running for your measurements. Otherwise, determining your own scale is very simple to do and I've even taken pictures of blueprints with my phone to roughly estimate one of our simpler prints in under 10 prints from the camera snapping. Amazing.

Cons

Due to this program being available online only sometimes it can be finicky if you have a poor internet connection or if there is some sort of (extremely rare) maintenance.

As stated earlier, we use this for masonry so it does not need advanced features. But as with all estimating, you will still need a basic knowledge of your trade's quirks. If you can't see a wall on an elevation because it is returning into the building then you will need to approximately draw it in under your elevation based off of a foundation plan or floor plan. Not super hard but it just will not do all of the work for you.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Curley Brothers Brick & Masonry and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Ernie

Great Product

Reviewed on 2023-07-21

It has drastically reduced my time in generating estimates. All my projects are online through the software, so I can go back years and easily see my takeoffs/measurements and plans. I have also been able to catch errors from subcontractors by checking their measurements through the software. It has made for more accurate estimates, reduced time in generating estimates, and easu project file management.

Pros

It's easy to figure quantities. Very similar to AutoCAD with layers and calculating areas, volumes, lengths, etc. I frequently take screen shots of my measurements to give to the foreman to see how I've calculated materials.

Cons

I come from an AutoCAD background in landscape architecture, so I wish it had more drafting features, i.e. offess, align, midpoint, etc. My company installs a lot artificial turf and I have to configure the layout. Having more drafting options would really help with the takeoffs. It's great for measuring areas, but configuring layout from a landscape architect's drawing can be cumbersome.

GREGORY

• Customer Support Software

Hands down best out there in support and product.

Reviewed on 2021-02-17

My overall experience has been amazing. This company is great to do business with.

Pros

Cloud based and customer service are the best out there. They are forward thinking and always chasing perfection. They may not catch perfection but they kick excellence in the butt.

Cons

I wish I had cheaper licenses for my estimating department.

ProEst

Reasons for Choosing STACK

Old and cumbersome products.

PlanSwift and Bluebeam Revu

Reasons for Switching to STACK

User friendly and customer service.
Raul

Measure Twice, Cut Once

Reviewed on 2023-07-26

STACK has allowed us to remain consistent with our accuracy, which has helped us remain competitive in our market by meeting our client's budget while remaining profitable. If there was a way to expedite creating a library of custom items and assemblies and pricing I'd be ecstatic, either way, I don't see us parting ways with STACK anytime soon.

Pros

The takeoff part of STACK is what we mainly use, I think in the future we may utilize more of its features but we're more than satisfied with the software. We would most certainly not have the capability to produce takeoffs with such ease and accuracy without STACK, we're completely sold on this feature.

Cons

Although I love the takeoff feature, the process of creating, organizing, and editing my library is too long. I have been unable to figure out a way to duplicate items and assemblies and edit them to expedite the process. If it was one trade that'd be easy but we take on various scopes of work and each one has unique line items.

Angel

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use, to the point.

Reviewed on 2023-07-21

My company has been using STACK for over 2 years now. I tried other programs and found that STACK is simple yet get you all the information you need. Love that they dont over complicate things.

Pros

Very easy to use, and navigate. The support is great, always helpful to have live support when you need it.

Cons

Not much integration. We use STACK and RSMeans. would be great if they worked together.

Kathy

• Customer Support Software

A great product that save time and accurately figures out materials and costs per project

Reviewed on 2023-07-31

[sensitive content hidden], our sales manager for our counter sales people loves it and he uses it everyday. Colin, who also does bids and has been intigrating his takeoff with STACK also loves the programs as it has been easy to learn, and is easy to turn off or on features that we want for our customers.

Pros

I tested STACK a few years ago as our sales team spent hours figuring out materials and costs longhand. STACK was incredibly easy to learn and cut our sales teams time spent on large and small projects by so much. We have been able to get back to the contractor quickly with an accurate quote

Cons

Right now, there are more pros than cons. We do sheet metal and gutters, so it would be nice to have that available in STACK also as our jobs often cross over on several products for the same job

Lizneth

• Customer Support Software

Stack is the best estimating software

Reviewed on 2023-07-21

I am not an estimator but was a Project Manager and the way I could get exactly what I needed from Stack and even being able to convert data into a CSV was amazing. I wish when I was interviewing an estimator they came across this system because it does take a little bit of transitioning from such a robust software they previously used to our easy system.

Pros

Simplicity yet so much can come from it. There's endless videos on how to use. Building assemblies is such an easy thing to do. Collaboration is also done and you are able to track time spent on each estimate and job cost. Love how great the style is and the way it is kept easy and simple to navigate. Nothing robust.

Cons

Not a lot of people are aware of stack or believe stack is overpriced. Making this system known to others would be great so that whoever we employ already has Stack knowledge.

Allen

Not too bad but limited

Reviewed on 2017-01-24

I like this program a lot, but it is proving to be more and more limited for more difficult projects. We are a commercial flooring contractor and we do a lot of custom work, we have asked for many improvements for over a year now that still have not been incorporated.
* The first is to be able to delete multiple files when a bid pack comes in with a full set of plans which clogs up our process but takes way too long to delete the files one-by-one.
* Another is to be able to do a circular takeoff and circular cutout.
* Another is to be able to edit or change multiple sections of one area of a takeoff. We have a lot of changes on custom built projects and it is very annoying to have to delete an entire room or area because of one wall or area changing.

As I stated, this is a very god program for beginners or someone that doesn't require more advanced custom work. The issue is that Stack works for about 65-70% of our work but these are the smaller jobs, not the larger more complicated ones.

Pros

User-friendly right off the bat.

Cons

Very limited for more advanced/custom projects.

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Allen,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Rimrock Design and happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

The details you've provided will certainly be shared with our team. Customer input is essential in our development process and we appreciate your candid thoughts!

Have an awesome day & thank you again!

andy

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use. Great Product!

Reviewed on 2017-06-27

Pros

Stack is a great product for doing takeoffs efficiently and at a great price. The features that come with it are great, and they are constantly adding new ones.
I love the fact that you get immediate attention from the developers whenever you have a question or comment. The only thing better than their product it the customer service!

Cons

It can be a little buggy when using different browsers. If I remember correctly , I was using Firefox and had problems, they told me to switch to Chrome, and when I started getting comfortable with Chrome I started having issues and they told me to switch to Firefox! I currently use Chrome, and there can occasionally be a little bug here or there (ex. trying to select one of my items to edit - hint: use the multiselect!).

Response from Stack Construction Technologies

Hi Andy,
We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team.

Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you!

Wishing you much continued success!

Ashley

Frustrating

Reviewed on 2019-01-25

REPORTS REPORTS REPORTS. Please work on this section. I think it could be a great selling tool for you if this was more advanced

Pros

I do somewhat like the software and will continue to use it. Autocount can be a great feature but is not worth it right now.

Cons

Uploading drawings they do not stay in the order of the original pdf. Printing takeoffs they do not EVER print in a logical order and I have to spend extra time to organize the drawings. No set Library, there needs to be a set library where I can edit things without being in a project. Autocount is a cool feature but has SO many bugs that it makes it not worth it. I have had a lot of issues with how long it takes to upload drawings lately and the software seems to run slow even when I am just doing a takeoff. The way reports export in excel makes it not even worth it to use that function. I understand every company is different with how they need reports so it would be nice if like other softwares you can pick exactly what you want to export or see on the report. i.e Quickbooks does great at this. I have stopped using chat because I always get the answer that the software had an upgrade or there are large amounts of people uploading documents. Hopefully as the company grows that can get fixed. I had 2 projects in one day not ever load.

Tj

Stack - Great buy and an affordable price

Reviewed on 2021-10-07

I have very much enjoyed using Stack. I have mentioned it to other companies that we work with and I speak extremely high of it. It has increased our efficiency as a business and has helped to bring us into the 21st century.

Pros

This product is extremely easy to use. We want from pencil and paper to entirely on Stack in less than a month. It is easy to learn and well organized. The plans/ takeoff tabs are extremely straightforward and highly effective. They are also constantly updating the software and listening to recommendations.

Cons

There are some features in the reports / estimates sections that can be overwhelming but Stack has been updating and changing them constantly to make them easier to use and more efficient. I would like it for the prices in the reports / estimates to stay constant when broken down since in the subsection reports the prices are rounded up in each individual room however in the unit costs they are rounded up from a total amount in the job.

Dennis
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

• Customer Support Software

Some things I would like to see if possible

Reviewed on 2017-01-20

I like the product and have been using it for 2 years In the mechanical industry there are a lot of fittings that have be taken off and the system defaults to a check mark when taking off, this tends to get quite congested when fittings are very close together, it would be nice if the default could be changed to a circle, this would also save 1 extra step in the take off by not having to change to the small circle every time, there could be thousands of fittings to take off on a drawing and every time I need to change this takes just a little time but multiplied by thousands it adds up. This would be fantastic!! Another one is that it would be nice if it was possible to save a take off in a library, I know we can make an assembly, but if you need to do a new take off on a particular system it would be nice to be able to save it instead of having to make the assembly, saving another step in the process. Thank you

Pros

Once it is all set up the need to physically price is no longer required. Multi select is great. probably reduced my take off time by 40%, and I am still learning new things to improve.

Cons

Please see comments

Jonathan

STACKED REVIEW

Reviewed on 2019-04-23

Overall my experience with this program has been fantastic. Im one for articulate writing, but there is very little bad i can say about this program on the overall. I use it sometimes 10 hours a day straight.

Pros

This software is the most user friendly software i have used. It does not matter what form the drawings are in. I can scale and take off a scanned set of drawings just as easily as i can with a downloaded set of drawings.
I have a few pdf programs downloaded which i can scale to which do not require me to upload anything. However if i can afford the opportunity i always prefer to load the drawings into stacked for scaling and takeoff.

Cons

One of my least favorite features is the "Auto Name" function. This feature tends to need a bit more work. Granted there is the option to manually name each page; which is fine for small projects with just a few sheets. However the larger jobs this is just tedious and time consuming.