OpenSimSim

Scheduling software for businesses with hourly employees

4.5 /5 (552 reviews) Write a Review!

• Customer Support Software

Easy and very useful scheduling tool

Reviewed on 2020-02-18

Overall every time I've made suggestions or talk to the staff at opensimsim they have been very helpful and quick to resolve any issues I may have.

Pros

It is very useful and easy to copy and paste schedules instead of having to individually do a schedule every week. And it reduces the amount of time it takes for me to have to do schedules for my team of 20 + employees

Cons

The messaging portion of the app would be more useful if it could be sorted by message. As of right now it is a little cumbersome with the messaging and trying to revert back and look up previous messages to my teams.

Sara W.

My OpenSimSim review

Reviewed on 2019-10-21

I am so happy with OpenSimSim. We use it very exclusively for scheduling and have reduced greatly the amount of confusion about scheduled shifts experienced by our staff. It is a great way to get a message out to the full staff, and has increased are accountability for publishing schedules.

Pros

I really like how we can make frequent updates/changes to the staff. We are a job training program with shifts going to Managers, temporary interns, and volunteers. I like how convenient it is for users to interface with it. It’s very accessible.

Cons

I can’t really think of anything. I know sometimes the interface for messages for managers can get cluttered because they are inundated with staff individual and group messages. It might be nice if there was an easy way to sort or archive certain threads or easily click on a user and see all the messages associated with that person.

Fiona M.
  • Industry: Market Research Software

OpenSimsim review

Reviewed on 2019-08-19

Overall OpensimSim has slim-lined our procedures for allocating shifts which in tern has reduced our admin costs and time. This allows our senior staff to move on to more important tasks and making our processes more productive and efficient. A lot of our staff members are not tech savvy so having a product that is easy to use was quite important and OpenSimSim has ticked the boxes.

Pros

It was easy to set up. The staff had no issues getting used to using it. It has reduced hour scheduling hours significantly as we no longer need to contact staff or go through individual text messages, everything is all in one place where we can see who is available and at what times. Makes booking in shifts very easy. I also love that you only have to post once and everyone will have their shifts allocated, no more individual messages to each staff member.

Cons

When posting the shifts it goes to every staff member listed on the system even if you did not get a shift this week. I would prefer it only goes to those who have been rostered on. It would also be more beneficial for us if the availability times show when the staff is available not the opposite way around.

Janice D.
  • Industry: Libraries

Free Scheduling Solution for Small Team

Reviewed on 2019-05-30

OpenSimSim has been an excellent scheduling tool for our small staff and team of Student Assistants. It has been very easy for administrators to add and remove users, edit and publish shifts, and add extra touches of personalization like user photos and different colors for positions. There are some functions which we use little or not at all (Timeoff Requests, Payroll, etc) but they do not hinder our use of the scheduling software.

Pros

OpenSimSim has an easy-to-use, simple, and aesthetically pleasing interface that works well on both desktop and mobile apps. Our employees picked it up easily to drop shifts, swap shifts, and message one another and supervisors whether at work or on the go. It's also been very easy for administrators to create schedule templates to quickly and effortlessly publish week after week.

Cons

There is still room for improvement in regards to tutorials for employees. A few of the functions in the tutorials are only covered from the employer's perspective and not the employee's perspective, which makes it more difficult to explain how to use the software to new employees in some regards.

Michael M.

Great scheduling app

Reviewed on 2019-08-16

My overall experience has been wonderful this app has streamlined our scheduling and is super easy to use

Pros

Being able to easily set and send schedules

Cons

Glitches in the software when scheduling or swapping or dropping shifts

Rebecca S.

• Customer Support Software

OpenSimSim working great for our daycare, with some exceptions.

Reviewed on 2018-08-14

The TAs love it, because it's all on their phone, and they don't have to keep track of a paper schedule. The only problem is if someone drops a shift at the last minute (due to illness or whatever), and I don't get a chance to approve the person accepting the shift. We haven't chosen automatic approval, because we want to maintain control of who is working in which classroom.

We also haven't been able to automate the process as much as I would like because we want the schedule to be as consistent as possible for the children in our care. We have to list the shifts as one hour each because of the TAs' crazy class schedules, but we want TAs to work the most hours in one block that they can so that the children don't have all new teachers every hour.

Overall, we have been very happy. The customer service is amazing. Any time I have had to contact them with a question or a suggestion, I get an almost immediate response.

Pros

It's free! We had been using only paper scheduling, and had a lot of no-shows, especially when a TA was supposed to sub for someone else. TAs are now more in control (and aware of) the process of finding a sub.

Cons

Printing the schedules doesn't work for us. When we print our paper schedule, we have the days of the week across the top, and the time of day down the side, and then the name of the person in each room on the chart. This is the only way our director can read it, and OpenSimSim isn't able to sort the information in this way. So we still make a paper schedule in Excell and print that, and then enter all the info in the app.

Also, it would be excellent if people could enter their availability with a start date and end date. We only hire college students, and their schedules change each semester. It is really hard to enter the new semester's schedule, because they have to leave the old semester's availability in for subbing.

The only other complaint has more to do with college kids than the program itself. A lot of our TAs think that they can drop a shift and then ignore it. Then when no one shows up, they're surprised that we're upset. So it still takes a certain amount of checking up on them on my part.

Jenelle C.
  • Industry: Political Organization

Great Scheduling Platform

Reviewed on 2019-02-14

Overall, I think OpenSimSim is beneficial for small businesses who are looking for something that is simple, free, but VERY effective.

Pros

I've been using OpenSimSim now for over a year. I really enjoy all of the benefits of the program. Obviously, the greatest thing about OpenSimSim is that it is free; however, I also really love the ease of use. If I am unable to put in the schedule for my agents, it is easy to instruct one of my mentors to do so. The platform is colorful, fast, and the notifications setting is much appreciated by myself as well as my staff.

Cons

I feel like the platform is geared more towards businesses that consistently have weekly set schedules. With the type of business we handle, I wish there was an easier way to create multiple shift opportunities for one day. We could really benefit from being able to quickly create shift intervals. The mobile app lags a bit when a shift is posted, preventing agents from applying for the shift in a timely manner. I also wish the chat system was an API that could be integrated into other programs so that everything can be uniform.

Jake H.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Reviewed on 2019-08-24

My staff is having a much easier time utilizing this scheduling system vs the old one I had. They are able to get their shifts covered much more easily and showing up for a larger percent of their shifts. Because of that alone, this makes it worth it. But, from a supervisor and manager position, it requires more work on our end to create, view and manage our team.

Pros

The best part about this product is the ease of use and functionality from a team member perspective. This a very easy to use software for team members to understand, learn and utilize on a daily basis.

Cons

There are several limitations concerning this software from a management/admin perspective. Specifically to my unit, the use of sections is limited too much, including being able to view things by section. This software seems ideal for a place that has 1 location (a restaurant) and is able to split people into several sections. However, my account has upwards of 15 locations (which doesn't even take into consideration that there are several accounts within my company), which make it hard for me to view and manage my team's schedule in that regard.

Steve R.

• Customer Support Software

Good option for the price, but needs more ability to customize

Reviewed on 2019-05-31

We tried a variety of timeclock software, and Opensimsim was one of the less expensive versions out there for the features. It does the job adequately, but as we add more staff, the shortcomings may become too much of a burden.

Pros

Making a Schedule is very easy, especially on the following week as you just have to 'tweak' it.
The employees like how easy it is to request time off.
The timeclock works on Kindles, so a Timeclock kiosk is very inexpensive and even works during a power outage.

Cons

You need to play by their rules, and their is very little personalization possible (for example we prefer to schedule in 2 week sets, but you are forced into a single week at a time)

It should be able to export directly into Quickbooks, but we have to manually enter the times

There should be a section for entering each employee's availability so you don't schedule them outside of their available hours. This is a HUGE oversight.

Katie L.

Open simsim

Reviewed on 2019-05-28

Opensimsim saves us mass emailing our staff, then receiving numerous emails to confirm if they can work. Therefore making the process alot simpler and easier. The staff also find it great because they can look in one place rather than having to find their emails. It has definitely made life simpler, easier and quicker.

Pros

If is easy to use, quick to put shifts on and for staff to select them. Since implementing it has definitely sped up the process of staff g jobs.

Cons

Would love to introduce the time management aspect of the software to save staff having to sign a form. However because you have to pay for each user and we have 88 that don't work all the time. It is not a cost effective option for us. If there was a monthly set fee that we could pay for the option that would be far better.

Michael M.
  • Industry: Public Safety

• Customer Support Software

Excellent app with great customer service

Reviewed on 2017-04-27

I took over as operations supervisor of my company with added responsibility of scheduling. The old paper/pencil calendar on the wall was not working out too well under previous administration. The very first order of business was to find a program that was affordable and done the job. I found this free app and gave it a try and WOW. I am still to this day amazed that we have so much functionality and features for free. Opensimsim has transformed how we schedule and interact with our employees. I hope this company continues to grow and offer this app to us, I would truly be lost without it.

Pros

I love that it is free. I love that whenever I have had an issue, support is always very helpful. Being able to post opportunities and send messages through the app is great.

Cons

There are only a few things that I would like to see different with the software. I would like to see push notifications of opportunities. Be able to change the default settings of who can apply, because network only works better for me by default than invite only.

Michael W.

• Customer Support Software

Great software, easy to use and connect with staff.

Reviewed on 2019-08-24

When I began using OpenSimSim I had been previously scheduling my staff on a spreadsheet and then emailing it to everyone. I discovered OpenSimSim through a google search and decided to give it a try. It was super easy to setup, super easy to connect my staff to it and eliminated so many scheduling frustrations I had been dealing with.

Pros

I love the ability to message my entire staff or individual staff members. I love the ease of the app. I love adding shift opportunities and staff being able to request time off, drop shifts and pick up shifts as they wish.

Cons

I have no negative opinions of this software. It did take me a while to realize that I could turn my device sideways to view the entire schedule but that's just on me for not taking the time to learn its features.

Bonnie K.

Overall Great and Easy Tool for Scheduling

Reviewed on 2019-06-02

I appreciate that when I was having issues, the chat function was available to help me along.

Pros

I appreciate that it is very easy to use. It is intuitive​ and for a small business owner like myself, does the job well. I like the swapping shift options, as well as being able to see the labor costs.

Cons

I wish it would somehow incorporate break times so we can make sure to note that in the actual schedule instead of the notes. I also wish they would somehow integrate​ more seamlessly with our POS system I hear d it's happening soon, so that's good news!

Charlotte Y.

So easy to use!

Reviewed on 2019-06-04

Pros

The app is very functional - no instructions are required as such as the the functions and layout are very intuitive. Staff can be easily invited to join and view their shifts on their mobile devices. There is also a function that sends shift reminders to workers so there is no chance of missing or being late for a shift - very handy!

Cons

Sometimes the software glitches when you amend a published rota - e.g. days staff have booked off get moved to a different day so real staff availabilities are misrepresented temporarily. This is fixed easily by refreshing the screen - This is the only problem I have encountered with the app.

Ben R.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 2019-06-04

Scheduling of employees has been great and saved me time. I wish there were better printable versions of the schedule, maybe with customizable options. We use a physical copy of a schedule as well as the online version, and I have to create one from scratch the printable version is so bad with open sim sim. Overall I enjoy open sim sim, and it is FREE!!!! ALSO NO MONTH VIEW :(

Pros

Easy to use. Notifications to employee devices so they always know when an update is out. Saves me time calling everyone.

Cons

There is no month view. We schedule based on monthes and it is very annoying having to go through 4 separate weeks. Month views are the norm with every other calendar I have used.

Joe A.

OpenSimSim Review

Reviewed on 2019-02-15

Overall very happy with the app and the benefits that it brought to our scheduling.

Pros

Once all set up the ease of use not only for management but staff as well. For our restaurant use it made it a lot more convenient for staff to switch shifts which manager approval without having to go find a schedule and see who is where and who is available. Great customer service when having questions.

Cons

The setup process was a bit long and lack of detailed instructions turned some setup into guess work. Also the lack of ability for management to put time off requests or unavailability for staff into the schedule when inputting it.

Andrea S.

Couldn't live without it

Reviewed on 2019-05-28

Saves me a huge amount of time with scheduling, and reduces confusion and missed shifts.

Pros

It keeps all our scheduling info in one place, and updates on everyone's phones so it's almost impossible for staff to miss schedule updates.

Cons

It's a really great system so I have very few complaints. I wish it was possible to bulk edit shift opportunities as open to the whole network as opposed to just open by invite, but that is a quibble.

Cheyenne C.

Sim sim is handy

Reviewed on 2019-10-20

Some problems with getting employees disconnected.

Pros

For the most part it’s very straight forward and easy to figure out.

Cons

How difficult it is to break a link in your network if they have more than one account. There’s no option to edit a profile after they are connected. I also dislike that once I posted a schedule I could not fix any issues without notifying everyone

James S.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

easy time saving app

Reviewed on 2019-05-28

It great as it save me so much time, as I no longer have to contact everyone individually.

Pros

The ease of organising the shifts for each day and instantly getting confirmation from my employees.

Cons

I dislike the colour choices of the website and app as it can be very hard to read, we have a couple of visually impaired employees who are unable to use the app, an option of just black and white would be good.

Freddy S.

Helpfully straightforward but could use more features.

Reviewed on 2019-05-31

Overall it's a straightforward app but some of its simplicity sacrifices functionality. Really looking forward to Google Calendar syncing.

Pros

Simple and straightforward. Switching to team view on Mobile is super convenient.

Cons

No team view on browser for desktop. Also, shift sizing in week view on doesn't scale with actual shift length, which can make it a little less easy to understand.

Aaron C.

Good service, needs improvement

Reviewed on 2019-08-25

Pros

Being able to access your schedule from your phone is a real plus, but something I like from the web version is being able to click "See Who Else Works". It would be nice if that version was also accessible from the app version w/o having to turn my phone horizontally.

Cons

Sometimes the software will sign you out of the website and when you go to log back in it'll take forever to load and then it's just super slow for a long time. The app sometimes will just load continuously and won't open.

Madeliene P.
  • Industry: Sports

Great Software

Reviewed on 2019-05-28

We have had NO staff no-shows. Staff are able to see shift changes live (previously we were using an excel document). The roster is accessible and comprehensible.

Pros

This software is perfect for managing casual staff! The roster is accessible, shifts are easily tracked for the individual and the use of notifications has proved awesome.

Cons

We require the option of amending shifts from past weeks to reflect changes that may have occurred on shift. We require the option to swap shifts between casuals that have different "positions".

Sean L.

Easy to use and set up

Reviewed on 2019-10-17

Very satisfied with the product, user friendly and the utilization of requesting time off to switching shifts.

Pros

Very user friendly, for both my team who makes the schedule and my associates that use it.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind about the overall software

Ginger L.
  • Industry: Research

Open Sim Sim Reveiw

Reviewed on 2019-08-24

My overall experience with Open SimSim has been positive, with a couple of frustrating times when I have had to have a supervisor's assistance with it.

Pros

It enables me to communicate my scheduling requirements to my supervisor. Also, it enables me to sign up for available shifts.

Cons

There have been issues, at times, with signing into the app.

Marcy E.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Easy App for Scheduling

Reviewed on 2019-02-15

Pros

I can assign each employee there position for the day for the whole month. It's also a great way to let staff know if we have extra hours that are available if they want them.

Cons

I have schedules for receptionists, technicians, and kennel staff I would change it so that you could see them all together and not just individually.