CAKE POS

CAKE POS is built for restaurants of all sizes.

4.5/5

Ed
Ed

Affordable, Effective, and easy to use POS System

Reviewed on 2018-06-27

I got an affordable, and effective solution for my POS system needs. We all have found the menus and programming to be easy

Pros

The price is the most attractive feature, as well as the ease of use. The flexible and affordable monthly payments are nice too.

Cons

Can't use terminal when someone is using the manager functions on other terminal. There are some short delays in running reports at times.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thanks for your review, Ed! We are happy to hear that you are finding a lot of value and ease of use with your CAKE Point of Sale. We appreciate your feedback, I will pass this on to our Product Team. I know we are working on making a few improvements to reporting that will be coming out soon.

Amanda

• Customer Support Software

Great System...WORTH every penny!

Reviewed on 2022-03-11

CAKE is excellent. We've had great customer service when we had questions or issues...and our software and hardware have worked GREAT for the past 4.5 years!

Pros

We love that each employee can easily enter and track orders, as well as clock in & out! That coupled with the awesome real-time reports available make this an unbeatable product!

Cons

We have a small frustration with how the POS screen aligns the option buttons in ordering windows. It takes us a few minutes to adjust after we change menu items, but is not a big issue.

Square Point of Sale, 1Breadcrumb and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

It seemed to have all of the options we needed in one package, where everything else required additional programs, hardware or services.
Dennis

• Customer Support Software

Not ready for Prime Time. Crashes when you need it most.

Reviewed on 2017-08-28

I can't think of anything this POS does better than the one we replaced. If it wouldn't crash all the time, we could benefit from not having the servers leave the floor to put orders in and run credit cards, but since they are constantly crashing, we don't have that benefit.

Pros

Easy to use interface.
Order Pads should allow servers to spend more time on the floor
Inexpensive POS System.

Cons

It doesn't work when we need it to. We've been trying to get the issues resolved via Cake Support and Sysco Management for more than 8 months. It isn't getting any better. As soon as the dining room gets busy the Order Pad Apps crashes. All of our servers need to have paper and pencil ready at all times to complete their orders and stand in line at the terminal to enter them every rush. It seldom happens when we are slow. Orders get lost during entry causing double work to recover the in flight order, after printing in the kitchen causing them not to be charged on the customer's bill, and customer credit cards have been double billed as a result of Order Pad disconnects. We are spending hours with Cake Support that we should be spending working our business. We have to keep 1 person available to capture trouble shooting information for Cake Support during our rushes when (not if) the Order Pads go down. Cake Support is always busy, but will eventually call back. When they do, they aren't very knowledgeable with troubleshooting, they don't seem to be trained to go any deeper than the Cake University screens. The cheap price of the Cake system has become a huge expense in manpower and wasted time in our restaurant.

Response from Mad Mobile

Your CAKE hardware is definitely not performing as designed. Our Customer Success Team has reached out to resolve your issue. Thank you for the honest feedback, we'll use it to create better products and support in the future.

Barry

• Customer Support Software

Hard to beat, I've used several systems.

Reviewed on 2020-05-08

Everyone that touches it learns it almost instantly. Programming it is almost as easy too.

Pros

Simple and covers all the bases. Cake has actually impressed customers! How often does a customer look at a cash register and think it's cool? Well, cake has, especially 4 years ago before everyone had an iPad. But we still get comments.

Cons

Can't put my logo on the receipts, would love to be able to shop for my own credit processing. I know that's not going to happen. But my logo on a receipt should be able to.

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Outdated, and they made me angry.

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Simplicity, style, customer screen, price, and a unit that wasn't an iPad.
Aaron

Cake(MadMobile) POS Review

Reviewed on 2022-05-17

Very solid, they have earned my respect and trust. I have appreciated the help getting everything going and the simplicity that the software provides.

Pros

Cake is an easy software to understand and use. Compared to Toast or Square the setup is straightforward, the interface is clean and the POS equipment is very high quality. Reports are instantly available, customer service is top-notch, and transactions are smooth and hassle free.

Cons

Customizing the online ordering screen as well as the second screen for the POS. Both are very limited and don't allow me to alter font, or layout/style. I'd like to represent my image better and I can't do that if I can't alter the fonts and add graphics.

Square Payroll, eHopper and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Superior equipment(POS), easier setup, and maintenance.
Molly

Cake POS is sweet!

Reviewed on 2023-04-26

It's a phenomenal product - I've recommended it to many other restaurant owners!

Pros

Ease of use, ease of configuration, affordable

Cons

Back office / admin settings get a bit complicated and some are configured on POS and some through Admin Portal - I wish they were all in the same place!

Danielle

Paddles Coffee

Reviewed on 2021-06-25

After hearing nightmare stories from others in the coffee industry with other POS systems, we wouldn’t change a thing. We are more than happy with the experience so far, and we are excited for the updates and changes we’ll see in the future.

Pros

Very easy to set up the menu; customer service has always been top notch; online reports include the information you need to run a business effectively; POS terminal is attractive and customer friendly.

Cons

Would love to see stamps integrated between POS and online ordering; accessing older reports is time consuming; some of the reports are buried within other reports and can be hard to find.

Square Point of Sale and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

On recommendation from others in the industry and review of the features and pricing online.
Robert

Cake is the Best yet

Reviewed on 2020-04-22

Cake handles everything we need for daily operations

Cake handles everything we need for daily operations

Pros

Ease of use, self input of new items, reporting in real time for on the fly decisions.

Cons

None, there isnt anything yet we have had issues with or had a question about that wasnt resolved.

Square Point of Sale and Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

After having months of unsettled issues with TouchBistro we decided it would be best to seek a replacement. After looking at all options we decided to go with Cake based on needs and wants that we could see would benefit our business. All of our needs are covered and some of the wants are now available to us.

TouchBistro

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

ALl of the user inputs and functionality that we were looking for were included and ready to use.
Mitchell

Cale POS Review

Reviewed on 2021-05-18

Great product. Great prices, great customer service

Great product. Great prices, great customer service

Pros

Easy access to back of house numbers. Great comparison categories.

Cons

Wish i could place an order to be picked up later and put a time on the check to print to kitchen . Also wish i could have at least 2 different service charge sliders straight from the ticket .

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Needed to replace hardware and get an updated modern software system.

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

My Sysco representative/sales associate [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] highly recommended Cake and i knew he could help me with any issues I might have
Brenna

EZ as Cake!

Reviewed on 2021-08-11

Fantastic!

Fantastic!

Pros

I love the simplicity and sleek design of the actual terminal and the software is amazingly easy to use and really lives up to it's name! It's easy as CAKE!

Cons

I would like to be able to have my gift cards expire.

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

my husband did, his Sysco Rep was his friend and ex sous chef, so he talked him into it.
John

Cake promises undelivered

Reviewed on 2019-09-13

While it functions fine for the ordering and set up. The back end portion for controls of labor are not in place. You also do not have a choice on who processes your credit cards. Twice in a month we were delayed credit card processing deposits into our account. While I do believe that it was probably the 3rd parties processing fault we have 7 other locations that have not experienced this problem at all. Maybe its time for Cake to change processors! When you have pending checks to clear and you don't get your planned deposit for your credit card processing it can be stressful day with banking.

Pros

The product was recommended by Sysco. The cost and the features explained was the selling point.

Cons

There is no partnered labor control ap that works with clock in of your employees on the Cake system . With Labor control being one of the largest cost factors and with all the new features that others offer. Cakes only partner is with 7 Shifts and for that you pay a hefty price even to be able to schedule on it. If you have one location maybe you can get by with the old paper schedule but with multiple locations and a number of employees there are no feature that control early clock ins, no clock ins, breaks, and overtime alerts. The other part of this there is no interest getting it done on a time frame that makes sense. Your told one thing by the top to get you off the phone, bug them enough and they will tell you maybe its not the system for you. So save yourself some money and not buy this system if you are any way wanting to truly manage labor it just does not do it if you have many locations to keep track of. I would say if you have over 25 employees as well , you would save many dollars with systems that help control clock ins.

Response from Mad Mobile

Hi John, thank you for taking some time to leave a candid review.

First off, thank you for acknowledging our ease of use by giving us a 5-star on it.

With that said, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the delayed deposit caused.

We understand that running multiple restaurants can be stressful enough. Our intention is to make life easier for our operators.

As for your concerns in regard to labor control, we have and are making concerted efforts to push features that would be beneficial to our operators. In our 6.28.1 release, we added the feature to prevent early clock-ins from breaks.

university.cake.net/s/article/What-s-New-in-6-28-1-0

Although we do not have overtime alerts, we are able to allow automatic clock-out times.

Mike

• Customer Support Software

Great experience, amazing support and the right way to buy software

Reviewed on 2017-07-27

Pros

We were using an older text driven system before that ran on an older OS on XP and we needed something that was Windows-oriented, vendor supported, and took support off of management's hands and handed it over to the people who are actually on the floor doing the work. Frankly the old system also broke a lot, and we needed something more technologically advanced. CAKE has been fantastic. Developing and managing the menu has been surprisingly easy, like the easiest thing I've ever done. Working with the categories and modifiers was just a piece of cake. All of the people working here love it. They came off a system they were already used to, and the conversion was completely painless and extremely fast. When we went from tickets to our old system it was a 6 month nightmare, it just took forever, and I was concerned switching to CAKE would be the same, but it was instant. The system was so intuitive, it's been really nice. It operates exactly how you think it should work, which is probably why staff took to it so readily. The way you can purchase it was also a huge factor for a small independent company like ours, so you can do a small down payment instead of a big cash outlay. It just works for us.

Cons

An ad-hoc reporting capability would be nice. The existing reports are substantial and you can download them into excel, but I would like to be able to create my own.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you Mike for your great review of CAKE! CAKE Point of Sale makes it easy for you to work faster, more efficiently, and with less overhead. We¿re glad to hear your staff is loving it as much as you are!

Shaun

• Customer Support Software

Gives greater control over your point of sale and tracking!

Reviewed on 2017-10-20

Order accuracy and data tracking

Order accuracy and data tracking

Pros

Conversation Summary/Sample Review:
Before we started with CAKE, everything was done by hand so we had to write stuff down which posed a challenge because now you had to know what went on everything and how much things were to charge for extra. There was also no way for us to track anything, really. Now we can track sales of items in general as well as hourly, and there is even an option to track by 15-minute period, which is even greater. Changing the menu is easy and I don't have to have meetings to tell people about new prices and things, I just give a heads up and then it just shows up on the machine. Customization is super easy, so even if the customer wants something we don't have in there it's super easy to enter. And then my favorite part is that I can have different printers that send information where it needs to go, so I can send the fryer exactly what they need and the grill what they need which has helped us out a lot. Instead of looking at an order with a ton of information that makes it hard to see what needs to be done, each person can see exactly what they need to do for their part and then have it come together with better accuracy.

Cons

It would be great if customers could order online and pay with PayPal. An app for remote access to the system would be amazing.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you Shaun for a great review! We do offer online ordering, and an app for remote access to the system. We've contacted your Customer Success representative to ensure that CC Diner and Ice Cream gets your just desserts! We're happy to hear CAKE Point of Sale saves time for team and adds more money to your bottom line.

Tara

Great customer service

Reviewed on 2023-10-13

It is a good system, well supported by your representatives like [sensitive content hidden]

Pros

The 24 hour customer service. Your representatives like [sensitive content hidden]
, go the extra mile to help with any problems that occur. This gives me peace of mind and helps me deal with other issues.

Cons

Things seem to change in the menu when I have not changed them.

Notepad++

To be able to have POS.

Heartland Restaurant

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you for the 5-star review! We appreciate your continued support. Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns!

Joseph

• Customer Support Software

Very happy overall with the Cake System.

Reviewed on 2017-07-05

decreased ticket times, no more pocketed tickets, better overall customer satisfaction.

Pros

Our main problem before CAKE was time. It was taking too much time for servers to get something written on paper and get back to the POS to put everything in. If the internet was down everything was down so we wanted something cloud based so we could continue with transactions even if the internet had problems. CAKE meets all the needs we were looking for. We've got a much faster turnover rate on being able to get orders in and back to kitchen and out to the table, and we can continue taking orders even without internet, which have both helped with revenue. We also like using the guest manager system so when we run out of tables we can get numbers and page when tables open up which was an added benefit. I can also do things on the fly like change the menu even when I'm not on the restaurant, someone just gives me a call and I can add it from my personal laptop and it goes directly to the POS system, which has been really helpful as well.

Cons

Touch screen interaction is not instant. There is a half second lag in some of the menu screens. It may not sound like much, but anyone in the restaurant industry knows that every single second counts during the lunch rush. This lag also includes certain unnecessary animations between certain screens.
Certain features such as an on the fly print button from the table layout screen would decrease our table times.
The Split screen is very counter-productive compared to other systems.

Response from Mad Mobile

We're so happy to hear Cafe at the Gardens is running efficiently and profitably since switching to CAKE! But we are sorry to hear that you're experiencing a touch screen lag. If you haven't already done so, we advise contacting [email protected] for further investigation. We have brought this to the attention of our Product team in the meantime. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

Karen

• Customer Support Software

Absolutely horrendous. Customer service is completely useless.

Reviewed on 2018-05-14

none

none

Pros

Global modifiers. That's literally the only thing I like about it. If it wasn't for that, we would have gotten rid of this system a long time ago.

Cons

This system is completely not customizable to your specific business. They're constantly updating the software with updates that make the system even worse for my business. There should be an option to not upgrade. Customer service is absolutely useless. I've called them probably 50 times since we've gotten this system. They never have an answer, they're always "working on it". Never a solution. There was a software problem on their end last Wednesday. I still have not had credit card sales deposited into my bank account from Wednesday and Thursday of last week. It's 5:30 on Monday. I have not had a deposit since Tuesday's sales. One entire week ago. They don't provide any solutions except "We're trying to figure out what the problem is. We're working on it.", but you literally never end up with an answer. You just have to wait and wait until you notice it's finally resolved or never get it resolved at all. You're at their mercy because you paid huge for the thing. What am I gonna do? It's disgusting and these people shouldn't be allowed to operate. They do not care. Even on a normal payment schedule, you won't get Thursday's transactions until Monday, Friday until Tuesday and Saturday until Wednesday. If there's a holiday, push that back a day.

Response from Mad Mobile

We are so sorry to hear about your experience, Karen. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and we want to make this right. Our Customer Success Team has reached out to you directly to help resolve your issues.

Rey

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use. Up and running in no time. Great customer service!

Reviewed on 2017-11-15

Ease of use and so much easier trying new staff members.

Ease of use and so much easier trying new staff members.

Pros

We've had 2 POS systems before we tried CAKE. The very first one we had was already 5 years old so it was running really slow and just couldn't handle what we needed it to do. We upgraded that one to Clover and we had high hopes but it just really didn't work out for us. We had batching issues, the numbers weren't matching, and honestly it ended up making more work for us with bookkeeping. Since we switched, closing and reporting have been so much easier. Everything is a lot easier to keep track of like sales and payroll and it's so much nicer because you can see all that online. It's also easier to add new menu items or move things around and just easier to use in general, especially once we got everything up and running. It's a simple set up and I'd definitely recommend just giving it a try.

Cons

No Big cons really. One minor con, is that we wish we could accept partial payment on our regular customers running tabs. It would make it so much easier.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to review CAKE, Rey! We're glad to hear this is the best of the 3 Point of Sale systems you've tried in your restaurant. We make it easy for you to open, close, and simply generate reports from anywhere.

This video from CAKE University can help you with more information on splitting orders by payments. Thank you for choosing CAKE for Bon Vinos Bistro and Bakery.

Giordano

owner of the Pos

Reviewed on 2020-11-30

was good but now we are behind

was good but now we are behind

Pros

we are very behind with the technology equipment and relationship with business and costumers daily base ...kiosk with self selfservise cash out

Cons

yes missing a lot of improved no try to update with the new technology and relationship with costumers daily base

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

they have everything that i need

Korey

• Customer Support Software

Tell you one thing and then something completely different latter to make a sale!

Reviewed on 2019-02-21

If you are upgrading to this do not waste your money

If you are upgrading to this do not waste your money

Pros

Software is nice easy to navigate, the terminals have a great modern look to them, on the fly adjustments is great.

Cons

We were told this would be a direct replacement for our PosiTouch system, it is not. The system lacks many basic functions our old system could do, even though we were told it would prior to purchasing. Whenever we contact CAKE about an issue we are met with the same response over and over, "Our system is not currently able to do that function at this time, if you would like us to make a service report to our technicians who will determine if this needs to be implemented in a future upgrade."
We were told prior to purchasing some of our existing hardware would work, after implantation of the new hardware with our old it will not work. After many phone calls attempting to correct the issue we get the same response, "Our system is incapable of operating with that hardware."
We purchased two terminals second hand, but before we purchased them we called to make sure they would work before spending the money, we were told yet again that the would in fact work we would just have to pay to have the software upgraded and they would need the phone number of the original owner to get conformation to wipe out all the data on the hard drives, so that is just what we did. After receiving the shipment we informed CAKE they had arrived, and the gentleman's number we purchased them from, so they could make contact with him in regards of getting them set up for our use. A short time later we were contacted by CAKE a were told they could in fact not be used, the system were to old, even though it's the same hardware they are using now, and there was noting they could do.
Please take my advice, if you are UPGRADING FROM A LEGACY SYSTEM (positouch, aloha, digital dining, ect.) DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY LIKE WE DID.
SYSCO SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR THE BUSINESS PRACTICE OF THIS BRANCH OF THEIR COMPANY.

Darrell

Poor Customer Support and Upgrades

Reviewed on 2018-09-04

Very poor in general. They say they are all about customer service and this could not be further from the truth especially with upper levels of management. The engineering and customer service communications is horrible.
I do think the software is good for the money, but, they are very slow in doing any upgrades if they do them at all. Dont bother putting in upgrade requests as they fall on deaf ears and if you inquire about them, they will have no response or answer.

Pros

Easy to use for the most part. Screens easy to read.

Cons

Check Splitting is very difficult and involves many steps. Daily Management Reports are not user friendly.
Senior Management Customer Support is horrible. They call them "Customer Success Managers" which is clearly the wrong title. They are horrible at communicating among all customer support. Guest checks are very difficult to read along with credit card slips for the customers. Fonts are very small. Cash drawers are cheap. They do not offer any loyalty programs through their system and only punch card type of discounts. Very old technology.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you, Darrell, for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have not been pleased with our customer support. We are always here to assist you and answer any questions, 24/7, so please contact us if there's anything we can do to help. Also, check splitting, among many other updates are coming out in the next couple of months!

Esther

Productive

Reviewed on 2017-10-21

Faster service, order is clearly read by the servers and chefs.

Faster service, order is clearly read by the servers and chefs.

Pros

We used to run our restaurant old school with just tickets. We find that the computer system lets you have more readable tickets for the chefs and descriptive tickets with tabs for putting in how you want things without the servers having to write everything, so it saves them a lot of time and it's faster and neater. We use it also to take inventory, and we can see exactly how much we sold each day, which is easier for us. We can also see most popular items and if something's not selling we can try something different with our changing specials. The workers use it to clock in on our computers and it's really easy to get that to our accountant. Another thing CAKE did for us that no one else really offers is when we initially put our menu up, CAKE did all the work. They set up all the tabs and modifiers and it was super easy for us which was great.

Cons

Customer Support is not too helpful. They could work on that aspect. They are only helpful to a certain extent.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you Esther for taking the time to discuss your experiences with CAKE. We have revamped our customer support system and are proud to say we get to most calls in under 30 seconds and resolve issues under 2 minutes. Please feel free to get in touch and see how much we¿ve improved. We¿re glad Maranatha¿s Steakhouse is running smoother since ditching paper tickets.

Steven

Mad Mobile Restaurant POS

Reviewed on 2023-05-18

The system is awesome with very few issues and the support received is very good and quick. I have had the system for over 2 years and are extremely happy with it.

Pros

As the owner I like the analytics and reporting. Easy to find and easy to understand. Everything I need to help make educated business decisions. As for the employees using Cake everyday, very user friendly and they love it!

Cons

Occasionally there are random little silly things that come up but there is literally nothing that we don't like about the system.

Ryan

• Customer Support Software

Overall, it's a piece of CAKE!

Reviewed on 2022-04-07

We have found that we can easily pull reports (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly) anytime. Which helps with deciding what menu items to keep or replace. Despite a few hiccups here and there, we were able to overcome them after reaching out to customer service. Our experience has been positive.

Pros

Ease of adding/deleting menu items. Additionally, that its overall easy to navigate. One of my absolute favorite things though is that if you make any changes and upload them (publish them) it happens quick and easy. There's no having to restart the systems and terminals and then wait for them to reload.

Cons

I really dislike that you cannot re-open a server "check out" once they've clocked out. Many times we have had staff missing receipts and then locate it after they've clocked out. Makes them feel like they worked for free. I've used ALOHA in the past and that was a great, frustration saving, feature.

Ann

CAKE POS - a good choice

Reviewed on 2023-11-16

Very positive. The customer representatives you get when help is needed are excellent and patient. All I've spoken with have restaurant experience and understand the industry to provide excellent advice, encouragement, and support. Today I spoke with Robert. He was able to help me solve a problem that was not technical in nature, but drew on his expertise in the business and his knowledge of food costs.

Pros

The easy of function for my servers and bartenders.

Cons

Some difficulty with our third POS that we move from the outdoor cantina to our inside space for colder months. Hard to keep one monitor as primary and two as client. Often, 2 are listed as the main POS and one client causing the order pads to initialized over and over.

Response from Mad Mobile

Hi Ann,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review!
CAKE POS Team

Juanita

Great Product

Reviewed on 2017-05-05

Pros

CAKE is our first POS system and it has made a huge difference from pen and paper. Orders are less complicated and we have easy access to all the information we need for both the restaurant and catering sides of our business (receipts, signatures, credit cards, customer info.) Adjustments to the menu take seconds and there's no paper to lose. Online ordering has increased a lot, orders are going out faster, and of course in restaurant operations efficiency is key. On top of that, we have great reports so we don't have to do math for trends, and it's so easy to learn for new staff. We're really happy overall and would definitely recommend it!

Cons

When the system updates, it will revert back original settings after updates. Some options aren't customizable.

Response from Mad Mobile

Juanita, we thank you for your honest and thoughtful feedback. We're thrilled to hear online ordering is doing great work for you, it sounds like your efficiency is way up and we're way excited to hear that! We are sorry your settings reverted back after updating, if that ever happens again, please contact [email protected] so we can get you up and running again as soon as possible!