WorkOtter

#1 Rated SaaS Project, Resource, & Portfolio Management PPM

5 /5 (155 reviews) Write a Review!
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Working productively - Easier Done!

Reviewed on 2019-05-13

When I needed assistance, I got just that. No runaround, no leading, straight answers, and confirmations. As I've stated, you will have to take some time to learn the program but it's for the benefit of alleviating management tasks. Have questions, you can always call customer service to fulfill any lingering questions/doubts. I'm more than happy with my experience and I relaying my appreciation to others has provided others with the same positive experience!

Pros

Ease of access is something every project manager, team, boss, or client, looks for in much of the planning process. Provided within the Excel Spreadsheet, helping to better utilize WorkOtter, are different resources which enable easier accessibility. As a project manager, efficiency is something I'm always looking for, without having to go through the hurdles of worrying about maintaining organization. The WorkOtter forecasts enable me to see the efficiency/productivity of different departments/projects within the company without having to recreate the wheel. It also allows me to see how different members of the team are keeping up with responsibilities – effectively managing productivity all at once – and keep track of workload. Certain projects will burden team members, but it’s difficult to assess without a system that provides that resource and WorkOtter provides the analyses to highlight areas of need be it hiring new staff or contracting. I can use the resource management and capacity features to increase productivity while also enabling the Open API's to connect with other systems. Data collecting on WorkOtter allows for presumptive planning by stretching projects out to better visualize productivity of tasks. The project timeline keeps managers focused on what’s coming up, what’s overdue, and what’s been completed. It’s more than just a list of dates but a visual tool that is color-coded and for those who want to move from the usual, basic, calendar and date method.

Cons

Getting started can be a little overwhelming. There are a lot of features and it takes a bit of time to get comfortable with the platform. I had to sit down and study it in order to feel truly comfortable and this is something that could get in the way for others who aren't apt to figuring things out on their own.

Khan S.
Industry: Education Management
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Fast, Efficient, Collaborative and User friendly

Reviewed on 2017-05-21

I can easily keep track of the tasks, issues and risks. It also makes budget allocation very easy. Instant sharing and cloud platform makes it a very easy, efficient and handy tool.

Pros

The thing I like most about WorkOtter is that it is cloud based and so it can be used collaboratively within a large group without any issue. And that enables real time update and tracking making it very efficient.
Tons of necessary features like interactive dashboard, gantt chart, PM features, forecasting, budgeting etc makes it a must have tool for project management.
The dashboards are tailored to type of user, customizable reports, instant sharing, automatic distribution are some of the most desired features.
Compatibility with excel and microsoft project is a big plus.
I am using it for about two years and really satisfied with it.

Cons

No notable cons, but aesthetically could be a little more attractive. But still does the job enough.

Juliano S.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Complete system, still easy and simple to use

Reviewed on 2017-05-28

Pros

What I like the most about Work Otter is how simple and intuitive it is to work with and I am saying that compared to all other systems I've tried before. Overall it can be simple but it has advanced features that come in handy for a project manager, features such as status reporting, risks mitigation, changes to the project etc.
Another feature that made a huge difference is that I can subscribe to a certain report and WorkOtter sends me regular emails with updates so I don't have to log in all the time to see what's happening to my project.

Cons

I am not a fan of cloud based systems and that's how Work Otter works but so far it's working so let's see how it goes...

Valeria T.

WorkOtter has really made my life easier

Reviewed on 2017-05-23

It makes things go faster, smoother and more efficiently.

Pros

It's so easy to customize WorkOtter that it allows me to adapt it to my needs as they shift around all the time. Being able to attach docs with no storage limits is great. WorkOtter allows team members to keep up with work and track time very easily. It's really simple to use even though it has advanced PM features like changes, risks, issues & status reporting. One of my favorites is that reports can be automatically emailed to user saving me so much time.

Clare M.
Industry: Construction

A very useful full scope project management

Reviewed on 2018-12-04

Using WorkOtter has been great. I most of my project data has been seamlessly integrated into one easily navigated location. Timesheets, schedule updates, even team communication can all be done using WorkOtter.

Pros

This is a great tool for seamlessly integrating all team members into the project management process. Displays and reports are easily customizable for use in any industry. It's wonderful that it can be integrated with most programs I use for managing like Microsoft Project and Excel.

Cons

For the most part I have no complaints. It has been a critical resource. There are a few features that are not available on mobile. However, I work in construction and some of my team works in the field with limited access to a computer. The fact that there is a mobile option has been very useful.

Shattida J.
Industry: Hospitality

Work Otter Makes Daily Tasks Easier

Reviewed on 2019-10-03

When we were first learning how to use the software the 30 day implementation plan was the absolute key to getting up and running. The Work Otter team was very helpful in guiding our team to understanding the different steps during our initial setup.

Pros

This software takes the guess work out of understanding what my supervisors are wanting done per task. The automated team collaboration is my life saver.

Cons

It took a little time for my co-workers and myself to get used to using it, but that had nothing to do with the software. Once we all knew how things worked we fell right into place quite rapidly.

Patrick W.
Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

Scaleable Project Process Management

Reviewed on 2018-11-28

Pros

WorkOtter gives more attention to the overall process of projects and portfolios than other task-based systems. The ability to use their "What-if" sandbox in order to project a myriad of variables gives managers the ability to think ahead and plan for contingencies. The software's ability to communicate with other stand-alone products such as Microsoft Project and JIRA makes this a great tool for companies with departments that are not already directly connected to WorkOtter. The visibility between forecasted and actual time spent on projects is invaluable.

Cons

As with all large-scope platforms, there is a learning curve to WorkOtter, but the good thing is that they've been at this for a long time and know how to get you the help you need. The software is currently only able to be used in "the cloud."

Aline L.
Industry: Chemicals
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Dynamic and fun

Reviewed on 2017-06-05

Pros

Work Otter is a very fun and dynamic system to operate on. I quite enjoy the oportunity of configuring the display, which makes it appealing for me to use it often. The practicability of using worksheets and dashboards are a pro for me since I like organizing things on sight and having them easy to find and to operate on. Receiving the reports on my email is also very useful, since it also serves as a reminder to work on a specific project. Until now I have appreciated it very, it has had me working more effectively than many other systems I have tried before.

Inna S.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Great for group of companies

Reviewed on 2018-12-18

Gives a clear overview and the ability to track progress and spot the room for growth/doormat opportunities with Issues, Risks, Changes, Status Reporting features. Gantt charts are also fantastic - very easy to work with.

Pros

Gives a clear overview and the ability to track progress and spot the room for growth/doormat opportunities with Issues, Risks, Changes, Status Reporting features. And can't omit mentioning the support team that really helped us get started and not get buried under the limitless settings.

Cons

Not the software's fault but we had to get our process down to make the most of it

Tyler S.
Industry: Entertainment

Gotta love the otter

Reviewed on 2019-01-21

Pros

I love that we have the ability to give end clients access to submit requests and what not. I also love that this app has given our company the ability to stay on track and on the same page. Without it, we would miss deadlines like crazy

Cons

There isn't anything i really don't like. Like any new software, its hard to learn the ins and outs at first, but once you learn your way around, its great!

Francine B.
Industry: Legal Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Works like no other I ever tried before

Reviewed on 2017-06-04

Pros

- planning characteristics of project management;
- productive dashboards can be accessed by other team members for position tracking;
- portfolio option of organization for projects;
- easier than many other systems available;
- option to email reports automatically;
- Support team has helped the team with questions on getting started.

Tera J.
Industry: Program Development

WorkOtter is a great Project Management Tool

Reviewed on 2017-04-13

The software is helpful and easy to use. The collaboration with other software has reduced time required to perform Admin task. and to convert. The layout is easy to read and easy to customize. This software will certainly help keep the team aware of the various stages of multiple projects. The team members will also be aware of the task and duties they have to manage. Another great part is this software is great to use if your small and only have 1 or 2 projects or if your large and have a great deal of projects going on. Plus the price point is great.

Pros

The easy to use and convert ability

Cons

None

Victor G.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

One Stop App For My Projects

Reviewed on 2018-11-29

so glad we picked WorkOtter

Pros

I like the user interface - i have the ability to see and arrange projects into a portfolio and then try out different resource plans plus Simple timesheet that allows users to ask for more time and adjust their schedule for approval

Cons

Nothing really so far except that currently English is the only language supported and i have some of my staffs in other non-English speaking countries.

Eugene F.

Outstanding product for small shops to enterprise PMOs

Reviewed on 2017-04-13

With over 30 years of experience in IT project management, in every role from team member/developer to managing multi-national programs, I can say that WorkOtter is one of the best products I have seen.

As a web-based product, WorkOtter is immediately cross-platform solving one of the largest problems faced by large-scale integration or development projects with nearshore and offshore resources.

The interface is simple without being simplistic, and the product is feature rich. WorkOtter offers numerous integrations out of the box, and the pricing can't be beaten.

Two key features I particularly like about this product are the heavy emphasis on templates and the workflows that are built based on practical experience. WorkOtter derives from the knowledge of project professionals.

Guilherme G.
Industry: Entertainment

Works great, very easy to use and have all the management tools needed for a project management

Reviewed on 2017-05-22

Easier to make my team understand the tasks to be done and also make the communication with the share holders more simple. The software is very light so it good in any machine.

Pros

Easy to use, any one can use it and understand the steps for a good project management. I'm a PMP certificated and could find every thing I need to manage my tasks. Would recomende this software to any one who is thinking about planning and executing a project.

Nicole H.
Industry: Cosmetics

Quality new Find!

Reviewed on 2019-05-10

Pros

As a beginner in my project management career this was a great find. I have used a ton of the popular programs in the past, but something was always missing. If it was missing it was highlighted as a coming soon feature. This is different. One of favorite features is how it automates the reports. Another is how you can highlight milestones. There are so many standard features that are a time saver to me. Along with emailing them to people outside of the project having the ability to talk with my team members is key. I will be using or suggesting this software for all of my future projects.

Cons

I enjoyed it, the traing time for clients is always a con for me.

Industry: Utilities
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great software for Project Management

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020-11-03

I had a great experience with their sales team. The sales staff was extremely knowledgeable, was open with pricing, and (most importantly) not pushy!

Pros

WorkOtter is a great project management software because of its simplicity. It is easy to use and has visually appealing layouts which help team members easily keep up with work. The software also allows users to link and attach documents with no data usage caps and with unlimited storage which is an awesome feature because storage is expensive!

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say. I really like it!

Frederick G.

WorkOtter Delivers Enterprise-Level Management Software

Reviewed on 2017-04-14

This application elevates the concept of dashboards to a new plateau. Not only can you view key performance indicators (KPI) from a role-based perspective; the user can expand to an organizational perspective with the program and portfolio dashboards.
One of the biggest challenges to any project is resources management; particularly when the business unit has limited resources. Through the Human Resources view, WorkOtter provides executives with the ability to make pro-active decisions regarding talent and budget.
Finally, the application has seamless integration with Microsoft products (MS Project, MS Office, etc), as well as, effortless compatibility with industry standard formats (.mpp, .xml, etc)

Dindo C.
Industry: Retail

WorkOtter - a work delays eliminator

Reviewed on 2018-06-14
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

A useful Project Management Software

Pros

I like the most with this product is that you will be able to detect the specific area of the project having delays or problems.

Cons

So for, the only thing that i like the list with the product is that when the internet connection is slow, it affects the performance of Workotter

Nathalia S.

WorkOtter is the most complete and sophisticated (yet simple to use) software for PM

Reviewed on 2017-05-18

Pros

Its highly configurable (I can readjust fields and UI according to my preferences). It's very sophisticated and basically, contains every feature I need as a project manager in one place, yet it's easy to use and has a very straight forward user interface. I'm very happy about finding a tool that can truly support collaboration across different teams in our organization and make information available in organized and efficient ways.
WorkOtter can also be integrated with other platforms such as JIRA and MS Project.

Cons

I believe the colors (design) could be a bit lighter to make the platform look and feel a bit nicer.

Nathan R.

Efficient and easy-to-use online project portfolio tool

Reviewed on 2017-04-14

I have been very impressed by the WorkOtter software thus far. Having a web-based tool provides and easy way to collaborate with team members and efficiently review project status, next steps, issues, etc. A few of the benefits that first jumped out to me were:
- Clean and organized interface
- Project status dashboard provides critical information upon initial log in
- Shared view of status and dashboards saves time in meetings
- Customization on screens
- Chart builder

Viacheslav K.

It is excited (it's really great honor to be a part of something new), happy to join this product

Reviewed on 2018-02-12

Easy to use, nice to look at

Pros

I guess, it's the product where a lot of different software in. It was wery important to know that it works well with JIRA, Excel and Microsoft Project. Automatically reports emailed to users cool tool, also it's one of those few products where it's possible to manage Gantt charts with interactive features

Cons

I guess that mobile version should have the same features as the desktop. Today it's "must have" that all mobile apps gives us possibility to do our work using mobile suggestions

Kristina H.
Industry: Environmental Services

This Was the Right Choice!

Reviewed on 2020-10-30

The overall experience has been overwhelmingly exciting, and the people who are involved with this software played a large part in this. The sales officials, support team, and installation guides have all instilled a sense of trust in me with WorkOtter. There were a few confusing moments throughout the learning process, and the staff on-call through WorkOtter really took charge of the situation for us. Every question we have had has been answered and in a satisfying way.

Pros

There are so many things that I like about this software but just to name a few I would have to say for sure the cohesive way it functions with Microsoft Excel. We are at the beginning of our companies development, and so until diving into this program we have been using strictly Microsoft software to maintain scheduling, data, reports, etc.. The transition has been easy and enjoyable as everything aligns very well with our current documents and what other employees are comfortable using at this beginning stage.
Another great thing I have discovered about this software are the interactive visuals within reports. These are great for understanding the flow of finances, the growth (or lack of it) that is taking place, along with the strategies that are underway that are (or aren't) making an impact. Now that I have this tool in front of me, I can better make decisions and in turn, provide more impactful data to the other people on my team.

Cons

Nothing! It has been such a game-changer within our business in just the few months we have been using it.

Industry: Hospitality

Comprehensive project management tool for all project phases

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018-02-15

Pros

The ability to plan a project to a very detailed or very simple level with all options in between. Very adaptable to the level of planning a particular product needs.

Cons

Single-currency. For international projects it would be very impactful to be able to see fiscal amounts in currencies used, rather than having to manually calculate outside the systems.

Response from WorkOtter

Thank you for your response.

We appreciate your overall score but some of your sub scores encourages us to do better.

Notably - your support experience didn't live up to your expectations. We take great pride in our support (college educated, min 5 years PPM experience, US only, many rounds of testing/interviewing). At WorkOtter our support team is some of our best paying and most appreciated roles (unlike competitors who it is offshore or underappreciated)

Kindly contact your Success Manager to elaborate on your experience and we would be happy to address your concerns.

We are all here to help you.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Aaron B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Where has WorkOtter been my entire PM life???

Reviewed on 2020-09-01

Our small but growing agency has been using a combination of Asana and Smartsheets for years. This is because a large portion of our team are creatives (designers/video editors), we used Asana for internal comms and the KANBAN style board to get this work from ideation to development, and finally to distribution. We used smartsheets to keep our client's up-to-date with completed work doneand invoicing. As our work has gotten more complex, we started seeing the need to fully combine these two systems: automate.io was the only solution on the market and even this looked like it would make things more complicated to keep the system working over time. We needed something that worked and didn't require constant updates to the API. Thats's when we were told about WorkOtter. Our sales person was able to answer all of our questions, and helped us find solutions to our current Best Practices. It was like he had a solution for everything we threw at him!

Pros

- Our WorkOtter rep Dave, gave our team the best possible training. It only took us 3.5 weeks to get our entire team onboarded and using the program.

- The open APIs allow us to sync with various sytems including JIRA and even excel sheets. This allows us to pipe data directly to our clients!

- Dashboards that can be customized. What's even more amazing is that these dashboards are community-based, so improvements and additions are being made constantly.

- Most important for us, since we are always on the road, is the ability of the system to work well as a mobile experience.

Cons

Onboarding was great, but getting that started took a bit of time. Not so much a CON for the software or its team.....everyone's resources have been stretched thin due to COVID-19. We'll get through this!