Rentec Direct

Complete property management software solution.

4.7/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
Customer Support Software
4.6/5

Sam

Full Service rental software A++++

Reviewed on 9/11/2016

Pros

I love how easy the product is to use and the support you get when you have a question. The software has helped our business grow so much and get our apartment listings in front of people we never would of normally see our local ads. It has great accounting functionality built into it that allows us to reconcile with our bank accounts in a very easy and effective way.

Cons

I do not have any complaints at this time when we first started using it 5 years ago there were a few things but they have been updating and adding features all the time and now there are no missing features or problems that are unresolved.

Michelle

Simple and Easy

Reviewed on 9/12/2018

If it wasn't so much work and if payments from tenants processed quicker, I would switch back. I preferred the ease and simplicity of Rentec over AppFolio which I am using now.

Pros

Very user friendly
No learning curve
Reports are easy to read
Information is formatted in a way that most would understand
Price is great and this is good for those with only a couple rentals or if you have 100's

Cons

When I used this product, it didn't offer all the bells and whistles that others did like an app for your phone
The ACH process was too slow when I used it and it could take too many days to get money and send money

Response from Janell

We appreciate you singing our praises, Michelle, and letting us know what was important to you. Back in 2017, we increased transaction processing speeds, rolled out mobile apps and a whole host of other slick features. We're always working to on new ways to to help our clients be more efficient. Wishing you great success!

Brandon

• Customer Support Software

Not very user friendly software

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

I have recommended this software to someone, but that was before I found Buildium.

Pros

Colorful buttons lead you along. Lots of options to enter contact information, ie address, phone number and email. Nice to be able to email work orders directly to the vendors.

Cons

Really have to think about how to get back to where you were before and just getting around in general does not flow well.

Tracey

• Customer Support Software

Great program! Needs some work but all in all a great program!

Reviewed on 3/16/2018

Some of the things that need work are:
Docusign - it needs to be where we can assign signature fields for the tenant so they know where to sign.
Reconciling - It needs to be a little less confusing when reconciling the ACH transactions. it would also be better if you could sort out the transactions by check number/ACH or by date.
Scrolling - when you go into a tenants account to make changes the page scrolls back to the top when you come out. It needs to stay where you went into the tenants account so that if you are making multiple changes in an account you dont have to search for it again when you make the first change.
Owner disbursements - It would be great if the program would automatically send an email to the owners when an owner disbursement is made.

Pros

It makes life a lot easier in the rental managing world. This program helps keep up with tenant payments and owner disbursements.

Response from Nathan

Hi Tracey, We appreciate your kind comments about the software and wanted to respond to a couple of the challenges you mentioned. With our Docusign integration you are able to add signature fields for tenants from the drop-down fields list in the upper right when editing a form, it is part of the core functionality. A good solution for the scrolling issue you mention is to use the date range selector in the upper-left of the ledger. Your date range will be saved between page views so you will return to exactly where you left off. For owner disbursements, an auto email is a great idea and we'll definitely add it to our feature recommendations list. Again, thank you for the feedback. We will have one of our client success reps reach out in the next couple hours to help with any of these items.

Andrew

• Customer Support Software

Rentec Direct great value for the price and functionality

Reviewed on 4/18/2017

I am a small startup (still getting my systems in place and don't have any other owners yet) in Montana. I researched Rentec Direct, Buildium, Rent Manager and Appfolio. One of my main concerns was taking on a monthly financial commitment when so young as a company. When all was said and done, I really appreciated that RD was created by a property manager who saw a need for this niche in 2007. The sales rep admitted that their first client is an owner-operator, not a property manager, but said they have made quite a few improvements toward serving the professional PM as well. It has been relatively easy to learn.

I also like that the software comes with a tenant and owner login. How these components perform is yet to be seen, but I suspect it will work well.

I also like that I did not have to commit for one year (Rent Manager, Appfolio) and that the price point was very reasonable with no extra charges for this or that and a very easy-to-understand pricing equation.

Pros

Reasonable price for a small startup, easy to learn, good accounting piece, website is included, customer service is very responsive to inquiries.

Cons

On-line application limited to 5 custom fields, included website could use a bit more functionality, nothing more at this time.

Timothy

• Customer Support Software

Superb for new PM businesses and perfectly scales with growth

Reviewed on 7/23/2019

I researched SEVERAL PM software companies . . . Rentec Direct offers the most, across the board, for a REASONABLE price. RD was honored as the Stevie Award Winner in 2019 American Business Awards, https://www.rentecdirect.com/blog/2019-stevie-award/

Pros

Robust features at a reasonable price. For instance:
- ACH transactions (for both tenants and owners!) included, or for minimal price for startups, in Rentec Direct subscription
- Rapid-response customer support
- Excellent webinar/blog content for onboarding and growth

Cons

The primary tenant screening option is only available for PM companies managing at least six properties. Rentec Direct does provide a tenant-initiated option for companies managing one to five properties.

Response from Rentec Direct

Thanks for the love, Timothy! We're so happy you're part of the Rentec family now and we look forward to helping you!

Regarding Tenant Screening, all PRO & PM clients can get setup for pulling reports through their Rentec Direct account, but to do so, there is a requirement to have at least one signed rental application. For brand-new landlords and managers, all you have to do is wait until you have your first signed rental application. :)

Robert

Best Value and Easy To Use

Reviewed on 3/16/2019

Best value for the price and easy enough for the average person to get up and running.

Pros

I love the affordability of the software and the ease of use. I also like the ability to communicate and text the tenants through the portal and track them. Another great feature is the owner portal. Ny owner absolutely loves the easy access and variety of reports available as does her accountant.

Cons

Just a little difficult in the beginning setting up and getting the ACH approved for the payment of my owners. Another drawback was that the platform does not sync with my bank management account even though it says it can. I have to manually reconcile.

Response from Janell

Thanks for the kind words, Robert! Related to your bank Sync issue - some banks actually require separate passwords for sync functionality, and some banks even charge a fee for that tool (Rentec does not). Possibly this is the issue? There is also another option for downloading your transactions from your bank that could speed things up for you. Click here for more information: https://support.rentecdirect.com/knowledgebase/articles/281736-bank-synchronization-download-bank-transactions

Patti

Rentec Direct Review

Reviewed on 8/29/2019

Love this software for small companies just starting out! So far I believe we selected the right software.

Pros

Ease of use and allows us to do every thing we need to manage our properties effectively from rent collection, maintenance, application validation, marketing, reporting and more! The customer service is excellent!

Cons

The right click to get to menu items was tough without a mouse but now it is seamless.

Response from Rentec Direct

We're happy you joined the Rentec Direct family, Patti, and that you're enjoying all your tools. Wishing you great success!

Al

Does the Job

Reviewed on 12/10/2016

We have a small property business with only 25 units, so we do not need a killer application. Rentec Direct has proven to be a nice fit in terms of functionality as well as financially. Entering data is very easy and the application provides several different ways to view the data so that analyses are quick and to the point.

Pros

The price is right, but so is the functionality. I am not sure how well this application would work for an operation that had several hundred units, but for our small business it seems to be good. It saves us a great deal of time and enables us to be more productive by allowing us to assess our expenses per property quickly and accurately.

Cons

At times, we have to sort of figure out how to get the output we want. Some of the pages use terms that do not always seem intuitive, but this is really not a major issue.

Tim

• Customer Support Software

Easy simplicity with sufficient power to get the job done.

Reviewed on 6/13/2014

Pros

Although I have managed my own real estate investment portfolio for years, I needed to upgrade and strengthen my record keeping and reporting capability as I launch a property management business next year. After reviewing a number of vendors, I selected Rentec initially. The drivers for my selection were the apparent completeness of the capability while being quite simple to scale. Now, six months into the use of the system, my choice has been validated. I might add that one time, early on, I had to contact their tech support for advisement. I was able to reach a real person who had a very simple solution to my question. I'll be staying with Rentec.

Cons

I have "corporate expenses" that really are spread among my properties. I didn't find a straightforward method of capturing these expenses. I created a "Corporate Expense" property to capture these shared expenses. I'm probably missing this capability that likely already exists, but I haven't seen it yet.

Gregory

• Customer Support Software

Rentech mostly behaves the way you would expect the software to behave and is functional.

Reviewed on 6/18/2017

Ease of use and I went through my first accounting review with the results

Pros

It was relatively easy to learn and behave the way you expected it to. It was easy to find the controls for changing what little you could change in the functionality.
The reports are what you expect them to be, income/expense, income, expense.
The rent-roll was reasonable.
Everything is exportable.
The bank accounts acted like bank accounts and were thus easy to understand.
Entering the data didn't take an excessive number of steps

Cons

Going from one screen to another sometimes took an excessive amount of time. Some archiving of data locally to the users browser would probably enhance the user experience significantly.
Use of an input worksheet for income and expenses would make these tasks much more effective and efficient.

Gus

• Customer Support Software

A boon for both my company AND my landlords. Takes some of the headaches out of a headache...

Reviewed on 8/17/2018

Was fortuitous finding this program! Everyone (underscore that) is professional, courteous even friendly. Especially appreciate their executive, as she never makes me feel like a dope. Even when my question warrants it!

Pros

Clean, easy, efficient ... and forgiving. It is easy to set-up new owners, properties and tenants. And just as easy to process rents, invoices, etc.

Cons

Some of the suggestions in the knowledge base sound like good ideas. And what about a property manager portal, or app?

Lisa Ann

• Customer Support Software

Best Customer Service ever!!!! Great Product.

Reviewed on 6/13/2017

I shopped around for different software. We decided on this because it was affordable and seemed to be compatible for my size company. Their customer service is the best hands down. They are quick to respond and patient. They also implemented a new Chat service which is fantastic!

Pros

It streamlines so many things for me. There is a bit of a learning curve as with anything but you have their total support to get you through it. Whether it be email, phone, chat or their knowledge base.

Cons

Each state handles some things differently and so in some situations I have to manually do things and it can't be automatically set up.

Jared

Rentec Direct

Reviewed on 9/8/2016

Pros

Rentec Direct is incredibly affordable compared to other property management software out there. They are very responsive when I need help with something. They are easy to work with and I've been working with Kathryn on an issue I'm having with accounting and she has spent extra time with me that she shouldn't have to. She is great and Rentec is lucky to have her.

Cons

The accounting is at times cumbersome to wade through the reports and find what I'm actually looking for.

Summer

• Customer Support Software

Great program that meets expectations

Reviewed on 5/28/2019

Working through Rentec Direct to meet our property management needs has been a wonderful experience.

Pros

Ease of use and customer service/knowledge base.

Cons

Needs a main email location to check emails that were sent to everyone - tenants and vendors.

Response from Rentec Direct

We're so happy to hear you're having a great experience with us, Summer! Be sure to check out the Summary Page Quick Access Link in the lower left corner as it does contain a Mailbox showing all the outgoing emails and text messages to tenants, vendors and owners.

Brian

Great Product

Reviewed on 10/7/2016

I love using this software to manage our properties. Super intuitive and quite robust. They seem to be constantly adding features too! I especially like the tenant portal and automatic reminder notices. Credit card and ACH processing is very convenient for tenants which helps keeps things current. The customer support is fabulous. They are extremely knowledgeable and always quick to respond to questions. I especially love that the software is in the cloud, so support can look up our account in real time, and fix any issues.

Pros

Super easy to use. lots of tools to communicate directly with tenants. Reporting is great.

Cons

I wish there was easier mobile access. It's a little hard to use the messaging feature on a phone. It would be great if there was a way to add additional email addresses and mobile phone numbers so I could communicate with multiple tenants within the same unit.

Palanivel

• Customer Support Software

Rentec is perfect for owners / managers of properties.

Reviewed on 9/29/2016

Pros

Clean, easy to use product.
Very good tech support.
Keeps improving.
Priced reasonably.
Good features like ACH, screening reports.
Automatic posting to rental sites like zillow, hotpads etc.

Cons

Managing marketing info for the unit rental is not very straight forward. Cant easily replicate info from one unit to another. Loading pictures and arranging them could get better.

Laurice

Easy Peasy

Reviewed on 3/3/2019

My experience has been super positive. Our management was on the money when they told us that this software would be the easiest thing to use.

Pros

I like the ease of use of the software. The set up was smooth. Very detailed instructions for each feature of the software and website. Cant beat it for the price. Not a lot of setup fees and all that stuff. The customer service is outstanding, very responsive.

Cons

The setup of automated emails and their template. I am sure its me but that's the only con I found. No round the clock customer service access.

Shannon

• Customer Support Software

Everything I need and things keep coming I didn't know I need.

Reviewed on 9/29/2016

Pros

I like that everything is right there. The price is very reasonable and this application includes all of the items the very expensive programs include. The customer support has been incredible these last six years and they keep adding things that really help.

Cons

Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.

Linda

• Customer Support Software

Rentec vs. Excel Spreadsheet, I pick Rentec Direct.

Reviewed on 5/30/2014

Pros

It's simple to use, and accounts can be used for several things, such as bank statements reconciliation and keeping track of payments. It does that math for me, and all I have to do is make sure I entered the right amounts. Rentec does the rest. Screening is also easy, and it's a one stop shopping. I also like the tutorials.

Cons

There are still some updates I would like for it to have. It doesn't track emails to owners. This is an important tool because our personal or business email address is cluttered. If we could check on the owners notes, I can tell quickly if they received an email from me or not. I also don't like the fact that I have to pay for tenants using the tenant portal to pay rent. The tenant should pay for using the portal, not the property manager.

Marcella

we would highly recommend Rentec

Reviewed on 7/29/2016

Pros

They are very user friendly and affordable . If you have questions you can call and talk to a real person.

Cons

I did have to call the first time to find the correct place to go for a credit check but easy after that.

Caitlin

Property Management for ~100 units

Reviewed on 10/14/2021

I'd definitely recommend Rentec for any medium sized property management needs. It's a little pricier than some options out there but the functionality has been great.

Pros

Rentec has really simplified the lease management and payment system for our tenants which has been a huge time-saver.

Cons

It was a little challenging to set up for both our secretary and tenants. But once we got through a few weeks of questions and issues we haven't had many issues.

Scott

• Customer Support Software

Rentec Direct- Everything That a Small Landlord Needs...And More!

Reviewed on 12/10/2016

When I started out as a landlord about 2 years ago, I looked at many of the free or inexpensive property management products. I tried several of them, and there are quite a few good ones. In my opinion, Rentec Direct is the best one. I find it very easy to use and quite versatile. It seems more intuitive than some competing products. The Customer Support team responds to questions very quickly.

I can generate virtually any report that my accountant needs. I can easily see how my investments are doing.

Pros

Very easy to set up and use.
Very responsive customer support team
Comprehensive

Cons

None to speak of as of yet.

Melissa

5 Stars !!

Reviewed on 9/2/2016

Pros

it was easy to install and learn. Has allowed us to take on many more properties as a result of the streamlined accounting.

Cons

Great product , great vendor . Wouldn't change a thing

Robert

• Customer Support Software

Using Rentec has helped our company grow!

Reviewed on 9/29/2016

Pros

Software is fairly easy to use, affordable for multiple users and can be accessed from any device.

Cons

A little clunky on certain applications but has improved greatly.