Smartsheet

4.5 (2,705)
An online work execution platform for any size organization.

(2,705)
Customer Support Software

Melanie

Versatile and Powerful Tool

Reviewed on 12/6/2019

My company was already using Smartsheet for basic task tracking when I started. Upon discovering how we could use dashboards, our utilization took off! We have now designed solutions for departments company-wide, improving management's visibility to workloads and processes. It's impressive how many problems Smartsheet has been able to solve.

Pros

- Ease of Use - No need to involve programmers to create custom solutions
- Versatility - customizable sheets and dashboards for different departments and needs
- Support - AMAZING user forum, help pages, support department

Cons

Row and cell link limitations - I bump up against the cell link limitations often, although I can work around them by saving my metrics into multiple sheets.

Melissa
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

Keeps us on track with our projects

Reviewed on 6/5/2022

People who already know Excel will like the ease with which they can get started, but if they're willing to dive further, they'll find many more useful advanced capabilities like automation. It has a lot of power. The preconfigured templates are excellent for getting you up and running quickly. The forms are simple to create and distribute. There is a significant amount of manual labor eliminated by the workflow automation. The design of the dashboards is superb.

Pros

Using Smartsheets is the best way for me to keep track of my progress, interact with my clients, and make my work visible to my boss. Tracking progress and keeping track of projects and todos has been a big help to me with the aid of Smartsheet. Increasing the level of transparency for the company's top brass as well as its customers.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Smartsheet at this stage in our journey. We've only scratched the surface of what Smartsheet can achieve for our teams, but the value and efficiency it's provided us go well beyond what a shared spreadsheet or file could ever provide.

Kian
  • Industry: Market Research Software

• Customer Support Software

As a project management tool, Smartsheet is top-notch

Reviewed on 2/8/2023

In particular, highlight the time savings that have resulted from centralizing all of our projects' timetables on the Smartsheet platform, allowing our team to more easily follow progress because they always have access to the relevant data. Compared to previous opportunities, where we had to manage documents via email or any other source of information transfer and ended up being very tedious and less organized, this platform solved many problems. One of these is the ease and support we have when collaborating on any other project where we are asked for assistance and have the management of the same here.

Pros

One of the best tools that Smartsheet has given us is the ability to centralize all of our organization's management in a single location, complete with powerful features like task planning and the ability to assign tasks to individual team members and then keep track of their progress with detailed reports and automated alerts. We appreciate how smoothly both the desktop and mobile versions operate; this has come in handy when making changes to our schedule is required.

Cons

The platform's high learning curve and poor customer service make it hard to use, especially its more advanced capabilities. We wasted time due to Smartsheet's inability to copy a sheet for editing.

Kriss
  • Industry: Music
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

The Right Project Management Solution

Reviewed on 2/7/2023

Pros

Smartsheet makes it easy to work with both small and large projets with ease.

Cons

The free trial has glitches to it, which makes the experience less exciting

John
  • Industry: Photography
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

Fantastic spreadsheet or Data tool for a shared data resource for your team

Reviewed on 10/12/2022

Really easy to import data and get started. The filtering and reporting ability is fantastic!

Pros

The ability to filter the data on the fly. Simply check a box to filter columns to only see specific portions of your data. You can then create reports to share with your team.

Cons

You need access to the internet to use the software. This can be viewed as both a strength and a weakness, however, if you lose internet connectivity, you won't be able to access your data.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

MS Access was too complicated for our team use. Smartsheet makes filtering and reporting much easier.

Microsoft Access

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Much easier interface. The user interface seems very familiar if you have ever used a spreadsheet.
Chris
  • Industry: Automotive

Pros and Cons of the Smartsheet

Reviewed on 1/10/2023

Pros

provides a single interface for comments, file attachments, proofing, reminders, and automations.Most of the fundamentals of a project management application, including the typical tasks, milestones, and project viewing choices, are covered by Smartsheet.To optimize the projects, it has provided a precise modified meaning.The support team at Smartsheet responds quickly and addresses any business case concerns.

Cons

lack of user activity reports (might only be a Teams License issue).You cannot grant individual access to a workspace that you have built without also granting access to the whole workplace. I want user ABC to have access to the first file in my workspace, for instance, and user XYZ to have access to the second file. I am unable to carry out that action.Any item cannot be attached to a workflow that is automated. In the email's body, the observations are presented as a table.

Diksha

Versatile Tool To Centralize And Streamline Processes

Reviewed on 1/31/2023

It's a great management tool for keeping track of activities and data. It has significantly increased individual teams' production at all levels.

Pros

We can send our consumers hourly updates on testing conditions on their desktops or mobile devices. The automation tools and formulas in Smartsheet are good. When I needed them, the experts in their online support network gave me a tonne of excellent responses.

Cons

It is impossible to copy the automatic notifications from one sheet to another. There is no basic formatting, such as column headings.

Best tool to manage and automate project

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

Pros

I've been using Smartsheet for the last six months and it's been the best tool I've ever used. It makes managing and automating projects so much easier. The interface is so intuitive that I was able to master it in just a couple of days. It's also great how you can use it with other apps like Slack or Trello, which is a huge plus! The customer support is also very helpful!

Cons

I don't knoq about all functinality. But whichever I used, it all perfom well.

Dallas

Smartsheet! If you are Smart-as-Sheet! Great System for Managers

Reviewed on 12/15/2022

With Smartsheet I was able to coordinate with my managers on every project and track employee function and written communications. This makes reporting a breeze!

Pros

Smarts sheets real time editing excels that of Google Sheets and Microsoft Excel. It is nice to be able to work realtime in real meetings with my employees and managers. Thank you Smartsheet.

Cons

There is some functionality that could be improved for laptops on a wireless connection. The desktop however has seen no issues what so ever.

Great Project Plans

Reviewed on 12/21/2022

Pros

Easy to quickly work up a project plan and share with clients and others.

Cons

I wish it had better 3rd party integrations.

Michael

• Customer Support Software

SmartSheet is a robust cloud-based project management system

Reviewed on 9/29/2021

We have been able to bring huge teams together with so much more ease by using SmartSheet. People of all skill sets can leverage the tracking tools available, making it easy for any PM to track their project(s).

Pros

Easy to integrate, just log in and go. It's so easy that anyone can use the system - not much training is required. SmartSheet's online community of job aids, training items, etc. is fantastic and robust - and gets you through every issue from small to advanced, if needed - and if not, you can reach out to a wonderful support team. This product brings together all your team members, especially in this remote Covid-19 world. You'll love using SmartSheet - it's SO much better than desktop-based PM solutions.

Cons

There is a learning curve due to the fact there are slight differences in using SmartSheet vs. what you might be used to already. But, that's really it - there are some things it just can't do - and other things that require a lot of setup and tweaking - but they're worth it - if you have the right project for it!

Paul
  • Industry: Telecommunications

• Customer Support Software

Take the Giant Step Up from Excel!

Reviewed on 10/14/2021

It significantly improved and increased our efficiency and effectiveness in order and project management. This is our second year of our subscripition and we don't see any reason to change to anything else for what we have to do.

Pros

Many are using MS Excel to track projects and orders... If this is your world, then you have to try out Smartsheet! Excel like User Interface that does a whole lot more. Schedule reminders, automate tasks, work flow, and the list goes on... and yet, the with the straightforward simplicity of a familiar EXCEL like environment. Other Project Management tools are great, but for those of us that like the EXCEL look and feel, you will find Smartsheet super easy to adopt and you will love the awesome features it provides. Smartsheet also regularly sends out tips on how to improve your processes and ideas on how to use it in many other ways.

Cons

When compared to some of the other solutions like Trello, BaseCamp or Asana, Smartsheet may not be as 'flexible' since it adheres to an Excel like user interface. Maybe this is because of my lack of knowledge in all aspects of Smartsheet's features? Overall, there's not much I don't like about Smartsheet for the way me and my team has to use it.

Trello, Basecamp and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Most of our team members were using Excel and the familar user interface ensured a high adoption rate versus the other PM tools.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We love the user interface that is similar to Excel and knew more of our team members would embrace Smartsheet because of this.
Sara
  • Industry: Insurance Software
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Love the versatility

Reviewed on 12/5/2019

I love the webinars on new services and the ability to become certified to use this tool- its such a time saver and I love that if I think of something I need to do on my commute home- I can just pull it up on my phone. Overall I would recommend it to my text company too- I would rather use Smart sheet as a project management tool than any tool designed for math brains that isn't as freestyle.

Pros

I love this software. I love the pick up and go aspect where I can access it on all my devices. I love the automatic saves- because I am terrible at remembering to save, and I love the ability to attach files and tag people for projects. I used the software at my previous company for creative project management and now I'm using it like agile for product development builds. Its great for tracking and overall roadmapping. I wouldn't use anything else when I can do everything I want right here!

Cons

All the issues I've had have been solved in new releases but it would be wonderful if I could build graphic pages in the software- I'm hoping that comes soon. Like a mobile photoshop or powerpoint or image tool.

Agile CRM

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The ability to be a wiki spreadsheet overall won our vote. Its for people who use both left and right brain.
Megan
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Critical in daily management

Reviewed on 7/9/2021

I absolutely love the software and the company. The system meets our needs and is flexible when we need to make adjustments. While the cost is fairly high to start up, annually it is worth the cost, as it streamlines our processes and allows us to be more efficient.

Pros

This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don't give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points. It's Excel but on steroids with multiple functions and features. We're using it more and more every day for reporting up to our management team on progress for our client events.

Cons

I'm not so good at the formulaic side of things and making sheets talk to each other, or building a dashboard, is not an intuitive process. There are not step by step instructions or visuals which is something I need personally. It's a lot of trial and error in getting things set up. When I first started, it was very expensive to work with someone who helped build the infrastructure base and looking back there are many things I'd have done differently if I'd understood it a little better. A lot of the consultation time was wasted in trying to get the person to understand what we were trying to achieve.

Erika

I chose this and love it

Reviewed on 9/3/2021

Pros

The ability to share sheets and collaborate is absolutely essential between myself and my teams. I like that all of the Smartsheets that I have access to can be organized into folders for easy retrieval and love the ability to pin sheets or go to the most recently accessed to be able to easily find the one I'm looking for. They also often introduce new features, which is great. Also, the automation tools, like the ability to notify someone when a row or field changes, is absolutely key with the way we do business to ensure that everyone is always on the same page.

Cons

This is nit-picky, but I do not like setting up rules for a sheet, and then the email that is sent to people looks like it is sent from "me." I would rather have the email come from Smartsheet instead my email address because in many cases I set up the rules for others and it appears that I am emailing them about it but that is not the case.

Brian

Smartsheet for Data Management

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

I daily maintain six Smartsheets, and will probably integrate more. This has helped with tracking my progress in processes, and eliminated the need for reporting up, as my superiors can view my progress in real time. I found learning the software to be fairly easy, and recognized many opportunities presented by Smartsheet for further education.

Pros

I use Smartsheet daily to track personnel processes, such as recruitment efforts, termination procedures, and the completion of development reviews. I have used other software before, but Smartsheet affords me with the opportunity to freely share the data with other coworkers and management easily and immediately. I also really appreciate the automatic save feature, and the prompt to update with other's changes. I tend to stay in my Smartsheets all day long so this is particularly helpful for updates. I like the ability to attach documents.

Cons

I found the Filter feature to be a bit clunky; That design needs some work. I'd like to be able to change fonts within fields, such as making individual words bold. Manipulating rows within the sheets could be streamlined. It's challenging when you want to move a series of rows to another location on the same sheet. It becomes a two-step process: Creating the space for the rows in the new location, and then cutting or copying and inserting them in the new space.

Kathy

Smart Technology

Reviewed on 6/4/2022

Smartsheet definitely is very smart! It's a very powerful collaboration tool. You can customize forms to send to other. You can set up notification/reminders to others. However, Smartsheet is not so user-friendly. It's an intricate system that takes time to learn. However, once you take the time to learn it, you'll love it!!!

Pros

In my line of work, I have to send forms to vendors. They submit the terms that they agree with Target. I also have to document their terms. I love that it's so easy to customize forms in Smartsheet. Vendors and key partners also really like the looks of Smartsheet forms too. I also like that Smartsheet organized data from submission forms into a nice master grid. Another functionality that I love is the workflow automation. I'm able to set notification and reminder on when key partners need to approve vendor forms in Smartsheet.

Cons

Smartsheet provide a very nice, clean form for vendor to submit their terms. However, there is no function to send a copy of the SAME form once the form had been submitted. When vendor sask me to send the a copy of the forms they submitted, Smartsheet isn't able to generate the form in the original format. Smartsheet just generate a simple grid of the submitted data/terms. It would nice if Smartsheet can generate the submitted form in the SAME/original format of the form that I created in Smartsheet.

Lachlan
  • Industry: Furniture

SmartSheet | An extraordinary tool for fast moving businesses

Reviewed on 3/24/2021

Since beginning to use SmartSheet in 2017, it has been a catalyst in keeping up with an ever changing market and the increase in the use of digital tools and communication channels.

Pros

SmartSheet is a tool setup in such a way the it can be tailored to your organisation and used for multiple functions, by multiple divisions. The speed at which they are improving the platform with new functions and features is beyond amazing. Any small to medium size business trying to improve in project management, ICT management, customer service, task management, resource management, team management (the list goes on) would largely benefit from investing in SmartSheet. The ROI is incredible and the ease of rolling it out through an organisation is simple due to the intuitive UI.

Cons

The only downside I see with SmartSheet is the permission levels. These could be improved with the ability to share sheets in bulk rather than just at a workspace or individual sheet level.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

SmartSheet is so much more cost effective based on the number of features and how well it can be tailored to any company.
Rick
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Excellent alternative to traditional spreadsheets and project management tools and processes

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

We use it for all project implementations to manage collaboration with our clients - project plans, decision logs, issue logs, contact lists, action item lists, document sharing, etc. We also use it internally for similar activities. I even use it on my team for very efficient weekly status reporting. We even link it to JIRA for automatically syncing sheets and reports to that system for managing product releases and product support. We love it!!!

Pros

Very easy to learn and get users onboard quickly. Works much like Excel yet with much more document sharing functionality and the notifications service is most beneficial to us. Very cost efficient in that our clients don't need to purchase a license so we use this to collaborate with them for our project work.

Cons

Very little not to like. Advanced functionality we need to not alwasys there, however, Smartsheet comes out with new features a few times a year and they always very helpful. Biggest complaint is that we have not yet figured out how to provide users edit access to a group and yet limit certain sheets within that group to viewer only. Would also like to see more options for backups and restores.

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We still use Sharepoint for some internal PMO functions but it is too slow. Smartsheet is much faster and more efficient for most of our processes
Connie
  • Industry: Banking

Smartsheet Review

Reviewed on 8/4/2022

This software can be used in so many applications with no code necessary to create automations, dashboards and data aggregation from other sources. We have been able to redeploy thousands of working hours from administrative duties to value add activites.

Pros

Product can be purchased with a limited number of licenses to gain knowledge and champions to scale. This allows for a low cost entry point. Users do not have to be licences to use the software only to create or edit an existing Smartsheet.

Cons

The only issue we have encountered so far was the challenges to get our organization to scale its use. However, after 6 years we now see widespread use of the software with licenced active users in most departments.

Microsoft Project and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

We outgrew our Microsoft tools and required something far more robust to manage all the projects and operational support issues that had been assigned to the Process Excellence & CI team.

Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Ease of use, quick start up, minimal learning curve, accessibility for all staff without a licence, good product support and access to experts for more complex solutions, excellent user conferences and webinars to learn advanced features for the program, affordability, wide range of solutions beyond project management and Kanban if you want to scale to their platinum product, well developed Smartsheet Community with so many questions answered when you google it, Smartsheet Certification available.
Nick
  • Industry: Furniture

• Customer Support Software

A flexible tool only limited by your imagination and ability with formulae

Reviewed on 7/16/2021

Smartsheet has been transformational for our business. As a small bespoke kitchen manufacturer (21 staff) we have some industry specific software for design and quoting, but most out of the box ERP software doesn't fit. We don't have an IT department so anything we use needs to be robust, and my background in programming has enabled us to implement some nifty systems using Smartsheet, but without the hassle of actually writing and then maintaining our own programs. Excel just doesn't compare, and is not cloud native so just doesn't work so well even in Office 365. We genuinely cannot live without it.

Pros

Cloud based - available everywhere to everyone
Flexibility - it's not only a project management tool, it can do most things that Excel can do, but often better. Specifically column formulae are a fantastic recent addition that enables sheets to become almost unbreakable

Cons

Nothing major. There are some minor gripes:
- Slack integration doesn't allow tagging of individuals, and cannot allow a variable to determine which channel to send the message to
- Cannot yet control heirarchy with formulae, I hope this function will come eventually

• Industry: Consumer Goods

• Customer Support Software

Excellent project management tool!

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

I joined my team in 2017 and was asked to establish our PM management system - knowing that I didn't have the budget for some of the more robust tools, I needed to find one that wasn't only user friendly but had all the capabilities I needed to create the complex timelines and reporting that I needed. Smartsheet was recommended to me and when I finally did a walk through I felt like it would be the perfect fit for my needs. Since then, I've been able to setup the platform and project management system for my team and we adjust it as needed along the way with ease. We also have been able to find uses outside of my project management needs to track form responses and other data management needs.

Pros

easy to set-up processes, ongoing product improvements and additions, great team capabilities, quick and easy adoption due to familiarity of tool to MS Project/Excel style, many different uses outside of projects timelines, very cost effective

Cons

interface feels dated (although they're continuously working on this) and not created for non-project team members, dashboard tool and capabilities could use some improvements, sometimes creating cross-functional sheets can be clunky and unnecessarily complex.

James
  • Industry: Sports

• Customer Support Software

A bit un-human and cheeky

Reviewed on 1/30/2020

Disconnected - we use InfusionSoft and despite the software being hard to use sometimes and changes happen constantly, they have mitigated risk of leaving by investing in human contact and support.

I posted something to the Smartsheet community and hear nothing.

Pros

Collaboration
Action features
How to tutorials/onboarding is good
Webforms

Cons

Lack of a chat support system or ticketing system
The upsell on functions - have free collaborators now having to pay to do things they could of done prior even though they had been using the system for years. Understand if certain features are now paid to commercialise the product, however I think it is unfair to penalise historic users. If you looked at a micro level with us you will see a 200% growth in our subscription over its lifetime and I feel this short term and automated upsell could and has damaged perceptions of the overall product. 18 months ago I would of been a 10 regarding recommedations and now it is less.

Darrin
  • Industry: Government Administration

Quick points

Reviewed on 10/8/2019

Pros

·Being able to share a spreadsheet with other users in real-time.
· Like that users can complete a form to populate a spreadsheet to include uploading documents and that update requests could be sent to that user if a correction needs to be made or additional info is needed. The user then make the change(s) to the cell requested.

Cons

·Recently a change was made whereas a non-licensed user can no longer send update requests. We use Smartsheet to have student teachers complete some info pursuant to state law. When the student makes an error, we used to send an update request to have them correct a cell. Now only a licensed user can send those notifications, so we most likely will utilize regular emails for these changes or not use Smartsheet for this work.
·As of Monday (9.30.19), how the system used "comments" changed from a pop-up box that let you enter into a field, save that info and now click anywhere and that pop-up box disappeared. Now it opens "Conversations" which now blocks the right side of the spreadsheet and you must now click on the X to close it out. It also holds all of the comments made to the entire sheet which is more info that I need. Typically if a comment is added to a row, I just click on the comment bubble to that row instead of viewing all of the comments to the sheet.
·When an update request is sent and the person makes the correction, this information is not clearly discernible when viewing the sheet. Turning on notifications turns on too many notifications so this was not an option. The workaround is, I add a "note sent"column that I check when an update request is sent. I then review the sheet and look for rows that have "note sent" checked and now no longer have the pending update icon to look for corrections.
·Need better form controls (field limits, date fields, etc.).

Kirstine

• Customer Support Software

Great software to create a bespoke solution

Reviewed on 1/30/2020

I work for a small construction company who used to keep all their information "in their heads, or on the back of a fag packet"!!! This has revolutionised the way they work and not only stopped them from forgetting things but also given them the ability to look at live costs and income.

They now have a dashboard to see the 'big picture', individual Reports to show their own specific projects, an automated transfer of information to accounts when they mark a job as complete, reminders, comments so they can stay up to date with any info added by other people, and so many other little 'life hacks' that make their lives easier.

Smartsheet has changed the way we all work immeasurably for the better. I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Pros

I love the Smartsheet Community who will help you find ways to adapt Smartsheet to suit each individual need you may have. I've been using the software for years and every time I've wanted to use it for something new we've found a way! Sometimes there have been delays due to the capacity not being there YET, but it's easy to submit a Product Enhancement Request.

There are updates and innovations ALL THE TIME and while they're not shoved down your throat, there's plenty of support out there if you want it, not only from the Community but also videos and webinars (live or recorded). If you've got the motivation and imagination then I think the possibilities are unlimited, without needing to be a programmer or have any coding knowledge.

Cons

There's not much I can say that's bad about Smartsheet. I find it slightly difficult that it's very US based and I'm in the UK, but that's true of most comparable software.

I'm also not keen on the Learning Centre as it sometimes assumes a level of knowledge that is beyond me and I find it incomprehensible! It's not a problem though as I can easily turn to the Community!