Smartsheet

4.5 (3,188)
An online work execution platform for any size organization.

(3,188)
Customer Support Software

Saskia
Saskia
  • Industry: Restaurants

• Customer Support Software

Must-have software for project managers

Reviewed on 2023-09-11

Smartsheet has been an invaluable tool for overcoming obstacles for a long period of time. The relationship has helped us most in terms of project management and our capacity to work with people from all over the world. Our teams can now work on projects in real time without having to rely on inefficient methods like ping-ponging between different platforms or sending and receiving emails where information can easily be lost in translation. From a management standpoint, we leverage the App and dashboard features that allow us to set up a row-level security structure and regulate the flow of information cascading to different types of end users.

Pros

I enjoy how smart sheet's shortcuts and key commands make it quick and simple to fill in the project's specifics. That many people may access the same document at once and make changes while receiving real-time notifications is a great feature of this program. I appreciate the ability to notify investors of upcoming milestones with a timeframe. Conditional formatting and color-coding for people and their statuses is a nice touch.

Cons

When using a gantt chart, it might be challenging to view all of the accompanying columns at the same time. Though I haven't looked at alternatives just yet, I appreciate being able to view both the gantt chart and the finer points of the project simultaneously. Navigation in a Gannt Chart is elementary, or at least it is for me.

Julie
Julie

• Customer Support Software

Smartsheet is a highly effective tool for project management

Reviewed on 2023-08-15

Smartsheet's greatest strength lies in the fact that it provides a unified hub for all of our data, communications, and project management needs. It has simplified the procedure and eliminated any ambiguity.

Pros

Smartsheet can be used to facilitate efficient project management. Using automation, we were able to pinpoint resource-intensive workflows and make adjustments there. Smartsheet's user-friendliness and lack of steep learning curve make it a natural choice for us to transition from our previous solutions. The technologies' applicability extends far beyond the realm of project management.

Cons

There is nothing about Smartsheet that I find wanting. By utilizing this system, we have been able to save numerous hours of work time for our staff. For a company of our size, purchasing licenses for everyone who needs them is a major financial burden.

Ethan
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Helps Our Business

Reviewed on 2024-03-20

Pros

I like a lot of the workflow and automation features that Smartsheet offers, it makes things much more efficient.

Cons

I would like to see more resources published online.

Patrick

Solid software for quick and easy spreadsheets & Gantt charts

Reviewed on 2020-12-15

While I prefer Smartsheet for Gantt charts, or quick and simple spreadsheets due to its ease of use, I have been disappointed with all of the other marketed features, and would recommend Google Sheets in general, since it is similarly collaborative, has better options for in-depth formulas, customizing of sheets and automated emailing with query's and G-script, and is free.

Pros

Smartsheet is my preferred software for Gantt charts, and for quick & simple spreadsheets. The formatting features are especially effective, such as easy indenting and quick checkbox options that can be used with formulas. Gantt charts on Smartsheet are quick and intuitive with all the options I would like to have. Dashboards can be a nice way to have an overview with links to different sheets if you have a project with several documents, and are willing to spend the extra time and money to set it up.

Cons

The big Con with Smartsheet is that it lacks the in-depth features of similar spreadsheet software that is also usually freely available.
Conditional formatting the way you would like it to work can take a surprisingly long time, as it can take many conditions (often one per column per action) to accomplish what you would think would take a handful.
Automatic email sending from sheets sounds great but is still not very fleshed out, and options are pretty limited.
Complex formulas usually need to be done in several hidden columns or they can end up taking large paragraphs of hard-to-edit text and numbers due to lack of formula options. This can also make complicated spreadsheets pretty slow.
Bugs occur infrequently, but make me prefer to double check important sheets.

Teresa

Project Management Made Easy

Reviewed on 2023-12-28

Pros

It has been so easy to map out project deliverables, milestones, due dates, and stay on top of all of the projects going on with the team. It is also easy to pinpoint where a project may be stuck (for ex: awaiting stakeholder approval). Additionally, we are able to create dashboards to visualize resource utilization and we have also made use of the forms feature to collect user feedback amongst the team.

Cons

I am still tinkering and learning the tool, but would be nice to make it more interactive and collaborative. For example with other project management tools I've used in the past (Basecamp) we are able to attach creatives and directly send and alert a stakeholder to approve within the tool. Additionally, I dislike how I always have to press save when updating the project trackers as it doesn't autosave.

Winnie

• Customer Support Software

Workflow management and scheduling solution

Reviewed on 2024-04-07

Pros

The tool is easy to use even to non technical members

Cons

At times the loading time is quite high causing delays

Osahon

Smart as it should be

Reviewed on 2024-02-15

Pros

Smartsheet incorporates project management tools and techniques in its reporting system. It is also very easy to understand the report

Cons

The software user may need some training.

Rebecca
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Valuable Productivity Tracking

Reviewed on 2024-02-15

I didn't use this program in the past. A new manager introduced to our team. Great tool

Pros

It is easy to use for both tracking and reporting

Cons

Haven't really had any issues or problems, no negativity

Jennifer
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

• Customer Support Software

Smartsheet is great for office work!

Reviewed on 2024-03-18

A fantastic program designed for employers to easily work from home, at a coffee shop, or anywhere in the world!

Pros

I was able to create and share forms to gather and organize information within Smartsheet for my business.

Cons

It tends to be easy to forget that I have a subscription, and sometimes Spreadsheet doesn't notify you of upcoming payments.

Evan
  • Industry: Entertainment

Great software package

Reviewed on 2024-03-28

Pros

I like the ability to organize workflow and assign tasks to people within the system. Plus having living documentation available at a moments notice is amazing

Cons

Occasionally got lost at first when started using smartsheet

Rick
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

• Customer Support Software

Excellent alternative to traditional spreadsheets and project management tools and processes

Reviewed on 2019-10-08

We use it for all project implementations to manage collaboration with our clients - project plans, decision logs, issue logs, contact lists, action item lists, document sharing, etc. We also use it internally for similar activities. I even use it on my team for very efficient weekly status reporting. We even link it to JIRA for automatically syncing sheets and reports to that system for managing product releases and product support. We love it!!!

Pros

Very easy to learn and get users onboard quickly. Works much like Excel yet with much more document sharing functionality and the notifications service is most beneficial to us. Very cost efficient in that our clients don't need to purchase a license so we use this to collaborate with them for our project work.

Cons

Very little not to like. Advanced functionality we need to not alwasys there, however, Smartsheet comes out with new features a few times a year and they always very helpful. Biggest complaint is that we have not yet figured out how to provide users edit access to a group and yet limit certain sheets within that group to viewer only. Would also like to see more options for backups and restores.

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

We still use Sharepoint for some internal PMO functions but it is too slow. Smartsheet is much faster and more efficient for most of our processes
Sara
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Love the versatility

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

I love the webinars on new services and the ability to become certified to use this tool- its such a time saver and I love that if I think of something I need to do on my commute home- I can just pull it up on my phone. Overall I would recommend it to my text company too- I would rather use Smart sheet as a project management tool than any tool designed for math brains that isn't as freestyle.

Pros

I love this software. I love the pick up and go aspect where I can access it on all my devices. I love the automatic saves- because I am terrible at remembering to save, and I love the ability to attach files and tag people for projects. I used the software at my previous company for creative project management and now I'm using it like agile for product development builds. Its great for tracking and overall roadmapping. I wouldn't use anything else when I can do everything I want right here!

Cons

All the issues I've had have been solved in new releases but it would be wonderful if I could build graphic pages in the software- I'm hoping that comes soon. Like a mobile photoshop or powerpoint or image tool.

Agile CRM

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The ability to be a wiki spreadsheet overall won our vote. Its for people who use both left and right brain.
Kristie

• Customer Support Software

Efficiency, Simplicity and Life-Changing!

Reviewed on 2020-07-14

I am a devoted Excel fan, and the first time I used Smartsheet, I hated. I thought it was a dumb version of Excel. But gradually others in the organization did more and more with it and I continued to have issues with Shared Workbooks in Excel, I finally decided to give it another shot, and this time I would really look at it. I then realized it had the power of Excel and SharePoint and Nintex Forms, all in one program that was way easier to use than most of the others. I went from hating Smartsheet as my PMO was dragging it into my department, to owning 117 sheets, countless automations and data mesh configurations and data uploader configurations in less than a year. I completely rely on Smartsheet to get my daily work done now and I have lost 2 FTE without feeling any real pressure to replace them. Smartsheet has helped my team that much. I have become a complete Smartsheet nerd.

Pros

My favorite thing about this software is the simplicity of creating a very complex set of sheets, automation and forms. I work as a business person within the IT department and it is a tough limbo to exist in. You aren't really IT's customer, but you are not as skilled as an IT professional. I am often left to my own devices and de-prioritized so they can concentrate on our true customers. Smartsheet provided me a system that I did not need my IT department help. I was able to create a set of products (on a very base level, my own small Enterprise Resource Program) entirely alone that has improved my efficiency, quality of work and accuracy! I needed nothing more than my own skills and occasionally Smartsheet's Solution Center.

Cons

I am unfond of a few of the tiny limitations. I wish that reports weren't limited to 500 rows per page, and if that limit must exist, I wish there was a function to skip to a specific page. I reference a report that has 400+ lines of data multiple times throughout the day and it's mildly annoying to have to skip through 9 pages on the report to get to what I'm looking for.

I have also had very lukewarm success with Data Uploader. It does not work as expected about 50% of the time. I would honestly give up on it entirely if it wasn't SO useful the other 50% of the time. I waste a lot of time saving and resaving documents and deleting and recreating configurations just to get data to upload.

Cory

• Customer Support Software

Smartsheet is preferred from multiple fast-moving projects

Reviewed on 2020-07-28

Satisfied. I manage >25 projects that vary in size and detail. I would not rely on any other project management program that I have used in the past.

Pros

Easy to get in, set up, and maintain small-medium size projects. Quick to learn, easy to use.

Cons

I would like more intelligence around the columns: 1) more specific formatting choices, like setting the duration to hours, separating effort and duration; 2) Predecessor columns that intelligently follow the task, not only the row number.

Microsoft Project and Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Salesforce functionality relies on two (negative) criteria: 1) you track everything related to the project within Salesforce; 2) to track everything, you have to purchase access to modules that would otherwise be unnecessary.

Salesforce Platform

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The ROI was greater with Smartsheet.
Megan
Megan
  • Industry: Insurance Software

Critical in daily management

Reviewed on 2021-07-09

I absolutely love the software and the company. The system meets our needs and is flexible when we need to make adjustments. While the cost is fairly high to start up, annually it is worth the cost, as it streamlines our processes and allows us to be more efficient.

Pros

This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don't give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points. It's Excel but on steroids with multiple functions and features. We're using it more and more every day for reporting up to our management team on progress for our client events.

Cons

I'm not so good at the formulaic side of things and making sheets talk to each other, or building a dashboard, is not an intuitive process. There are not step by step instructions or visuals which is something I need personally. It's a lot of trial and error in getting things set up. When I first started, it was very expensive to work with someone who helped build the infrastructure base and looking back there are many things I'd have done differently if I'd understood it a little better. A lot of the consultation time was wasted in trying to get the person to understand what we were trying to achieve.

Melissa
Melissa

• Customer Support Software

Keeps us on track with our projects

Reviewed on 2022-06-05

People who already know Excel will like the ease with which they can get started, but if they're willing to dive further, they'll find many more useful advanced capabilities like automation. It has a lot of power. The preconfigured templates are excellent for getting you up and running quickly. The forms are simple to create and distribute. There is a significant amount of manual labor eliminated by the workflow automation. The design of the dashboards is superb.

Pros

Using Smartsheets is the best way for me to keep track of my progress, interact with my clients, and make my work visible to my boss. Tracking progress and keeping track of projects and todos has been a big help to me with the aid of Smartsheet. Increasing the level of transparency for the company's top brass as well as its customers.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Smartsheet at this stage in our journey. We've only scratched the surface of what Smartsheet can achieve for our teams, but the value and efficiency it's provided us go well beyond what a shared spreadsheet or file could ever provide.

Venita

• Customer Support Software

If you are old school Excel this tool is going to take some getting used to!

Reviewed on 2023-05-01

if you are new to Smartsheets and expecting it to be like Excel? Think again! While it may have a similar look and feel, it offers much more and can be confusing to use at first. However, don't worry once you get the hang of it you are going to LOVE this product!

Pros

SmartSheets is an incredibly powerful tool that offers much more features than Excel. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that the possibilities are endless. The best part is that there are plenty of online tutorials available to help you learn and become proficient in using SmartSheets. With just a little patience and practice, you'll be a pro in no time!

Cons

One area where SmartSheets could improve is in providing more consistent and reliable customer support. While there are many online tutorials available, when users encounter issues that require more complex solutions, having responsive and helpful customer support can make all the difference in their experience with the software.

Brandon
Brandon

• Customer Support Software

Our team uses Smartsheet for constant project tracking

Reviewed on 2023-07-24

With the SaaS solution Smartsheet, we've been able to build robust, individualized dashboards and perform integrations and data collecting from a single or several databases connected to customer relationship management tools like Jira and Salesforce. The ability to design individualized forms for content filtering has proved invaluable, as has the incorporation of features such as comments, reminders, attachments, and optimizations.

Pros

Every aspect of our sales activities is immediately managed through Smartsheet. Smartsheet serves as a central hub for all customer data entry for both our in-house and external marketing teams.

Cons

The customer service has a lot to be desired, with slow response times and ineffectiveness even when dealing with simple issues. There are a variety of aspects that might affect the overall usability, including visibility and user experience.

Amanda
Amanda

• Customer Support Software

Smartsheet streamlines our project processes

Reviewed on 2023-08-16

Smartsheet has simplified our team's ability to collaborate by allowing us to easily share and trade spreadsheets and datasheets. The data can only be seen and changed by authorized users.

Pros

The software provides an intuitive user interface and a wide variety of tools for data visualization and management, including dashboards, grantt charts, and data suttles. What I like best about Smartsheet is how it helps us streamline our project operations, especially while working on a particularly difficult or complex endeavor.

Cons

Microsoft Excel's formula functions differ from those in other spreadsheet programs, which might be confusing to beginners. When several, sophisticated formulas are included in the data sheet, its storage capacity is quickly exhausted. The sheet needs to be refreshed regularly to ensure that the data is displayed accurately.

Omar
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Smartsheets for everyday management

Reviewed on 2021-10-21

To me, the best combination of the ease of use and familiarity of a spreadsheet with the complexity of a project management tool. Very satisfied

Pros

The tool is more than a project management tool. I use it to manage my department's budget, collaborate with internal and external team members. I like that I can access it from anywhere I am

Cons

Could use some of the more advanced functionality like automatically keeping track of KPIs such as Earned Value, schedule variance, etc. I would like it if I could "play" with effort vs duration without affecting the main baseline until I am ready and obviously, I would like to keep history of baseline changes

Clarity Software, monday.com and Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Looking for something affordable, cloud-based that would allow us to collaborate and manage projects in one single repository

Microsoft Project and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

The right balance of cost, ease of use, and functionality
Sadaf
Sadaf

SmartSheet- Highly recommended Project Management Software

Reviewed on 2019-03-16

We have a global team of collaborators often working on the same document. SmartSheet, being a web-based collaborative tool makes it effortless to delegate and track tasks, allocate resources, and oversee budget in a concise form. The transparency in this tool is exemplary as one can view activity logs and track changes. Unlike its main competitor MS Project, SmartSheet is capable of tracking real-time workflow wherein changes made by one individual can be reflected across the entire team in an instant.
It functions spectacularly on a range of operating systems (I use it on iOS as well) and has proven to be a cohesive platform to visualize project data in real time, all in one place for all relevant team members to view and work on. I would highly recommend SmartSheet for teams who are looking for project management software that requires minimum training with maximum output.

Pros

SmartSheet is a cloud-based tool that helps Project Managers better align their resources, cost and time. Being a part of a virtual team responsible for collaborating whilst managing critical projects, Smartsheet has been indispensable in helping us track project timeline through interactive Gantt charts, establish critical paths, manage team resources, analyze budget and costs, in addition, to document sharing through OneDrive, Skype and even the app.
It is definitely reliable, has a simple user interface, flexibility in function, offers real-time data tracking through dashboards and training additional collaborators is uncomplicated. I love how SmartSheet offers a powerful conditional formatting feature, visualization of data that is editable and printable for presentations and has a spreadsheet-like interface (like Excel) yet is straightforward, unlike its counterparts.
Another thumbs up feature is that SmartSheet offers a 30-day trial wherein full functionality can be tested and project plans produced before actually investing in the software!

Cons

Our firm works from Sunday to Thursday (unlike the USA) and though they are advised well ahead, maintenance windows don't always align with our schedule, and we have to work around that. One attribute that can definitely be improved is the option of turning on auto-save, instead of manually saving the document. Often the development of a comprehensive project plan across several collaborators is quite intense and even if one of them fails to manually save the document, it is quite a hassle.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

• Customer Support Software

Excellent project management tool!

Reviewed on 2019-10-08

I joined my team in 2017 and was asked to establish our PM management system - knowing that I didn't have the budget for some of the more robust tools, I needed to find one that wasn't only user friendly but had all the capabilities I needed to create the complex timelines and reporting that I needed. Smartsheet was recommended to me and when I finally did a walk through I felt like it would be the perfect fit for my needs. Since then, I've been able to setup the platform and project management system for my team and we adjust it as needed along the way with ease. We also have been able to find uses outside of my project management needs to track form responses and other data management needs.

Pros

easy to set-up processes, ongoing product improvements and additions, great team capabilities, quick and easy adoption due to familiarity of tool to MS Project/Excel style, many different uses outside of projects timelines, very cost effective

Cons

interface feels dated (although they're continuously working on this) and not created for non-project team members, dashboard tool and capabilities could use some improvements, sometimes creating cross-functional sheets can be clunky and unnecessarily complex.

Carissa
  • Industry: Higher Education Software

Very robust collaboration tool

Reviewed on 2019-12-10

We have used Smartsheet for quite a few years to help manage projects, day-to-day items, operational calendars, and other items at our higher ed institution. This tool has been a tremendous help with making it easier to collaborate with other companies, as well as increase the efficiency with certain tasks among our department and other departments at our institution. Smartsheet is a very easy tool to learn and use and provides a great amount of functionality in one place to collaborate across groups. I would highly recommend this product to companies, large or small, if they have multiple projects that they need to manage frequently. The ROI for this product is good if you use it all of the time. If you don't, it can end up being an expensive tool for collaboration while there are many alternative competitors out there that may be a better option financially.

Pros

Smartsheet provides a very robust collaboration tool among teams and teams from other companies. The ability to show timelines, comments, attachments, and dates - all in one place - make it very easy to stay on track with projects. This tool also provides a very nice mobile and app platform to work off of while out on the go. We utilize the professional (paid) version to encompass all of the features that we need and are no longer offered in the free version, such as the ability to email directly from the sheet, send for updates, and utilize the reminder functions. Emailing directly from the sheet is a great feature since it allows you to send the comments, attachments, and info from the line all in one easy-to-read email. You can also cc yourself on the email so that you know that it was sent.

Cons

One of the things about Smartsheet that could be updated is the ability to copy info from one sheet and create a new sheet. For example, my team utilizes this tool for registration for certain programs at our university. The ability to copy the entire sheet (with all of the info and attachments) onto a new sheet and update the dates, or minimal information, would be a great function to have. The other option would be to allow more functionality in the free version (which was previously there). The update to only allowing email sends from a single line in the professional (paid) version now is a bit challenging when we only budgeted for a certain amount of licenses for the academic year (and we all know how stingy higher ed budgets are right now)

Maximiliano
Maximiliano

Managing Projects Made Easy: A Review of SmartSheet

Reviewed on 2023-03-30

I find SmartSheet to be a highly effective and flexible tool that allows me to manage complex projects and collaborate with team members. The real-time task tracking and deadline monitoring features help me stay on top of my work, while the collaborative tools facilitate communication and information sharing with others.While there are some challenges to using SmartSheet, such as the complexity of some of the advanced features, the benefits of the tool far outweigh any drawbacks. Overall, I would highly recommend SmartSheet to anyone looking for a powerful and versatile project management and collaboration tool.

Pros

There are several things that I like about the tool. One of the features that I enjoy the most is the ability to collaborate in real-time with other team members in a single centralized location. This means we can work together on a project without the need to send separate emails, spreadsheets, files, and other documents.Another important feature in SmartSheet is the ability to create custom spreadsheets and forms to collect information more effectively. This allows all team members to have access to the same updated information in real-time and avoids duplicated efforts.I also find the task tracking and calendar functions useful, as they allow me to have a quick view of deadlines and tasks that need to be completed in the project. In addition, SmartSheet's process automation helps simplify repetitive tasks and saves time in project management.

Cons

The interface, while intuitive, can be overwhelming for new users who are not familiar with project management or spreadsheet software.While SmartSheet offers a wide range of templates and tools, some of them may not be customizable enough to meet specific needs. This can be frustrating at times, especially when trying to create more complex spreadsheets or workflows.Certain features like reporting and charting could be improved to provide more flexibility and customization options.

Yevstakhii

My expirience of use Smartsheet

Reviewed on 2023-05-21

Smartsheet is a widely used collaborative work management platform that offers a range of features to help teams plan, track, and manage projects effectively. Here are some aspects of Smartsheet that I have highlighted as positive experiences:Powerful project management capabilities: Smartsheet provides users with a comprehensive set of project management tools. I can create and assign tasks, set due dates, establish dependencies, and track progress. The platform offers flexible views, such as Gantt charts and Kanban boards, allowing me to visualize and manage their projects in a way that suits my preferences.Seamless collaboration and communication: Smartsheet enables teams to collaborate efficiently and communicate effectively. I can share sheets with team members, allowing real-time collaboration on tasks and projects. The platform supports commenting, file attachments, and discussion threads, fostering collaboration and reducing the need for multiple communication tools.Customization and automation: Smartsheet offers customization options that allow users to tailor their workspaces and workflows to their specific needs. I can create custom templates, define automation rules, and set up workflows to streamline my processes. These features enable teams to automate repetitive tasks, improve efficiency, and standardize their work.

Pros

1. Project and task management: Smartsheet provides robust project and task management capabilities. I can create and assign tasks, set due dates, track progress, and manage dependencies. The platform offers various views, such as Gantt charts and Kanban boards, to help visualize and manage projects effectively.2. Collaboration and communication: Smartsheet enables seamless collaboration among team members. I can share sheets, collaborate in real-time, and provide comments or feedback directly on tasks. The platform also supports file attachments and discussion threads, facilitating effective communication and reducing the need for multiple tools.3. Customizable workflows and automation: Smartsheet offers customizable workflows and automation features that allow users to streamline their processes. I can set up automated notifications, reminders, and approval workflows, saving time and ensuring tasks progress smoothly.

Cons

1. Limited customization options: While Smartsheet provides customization options, I have expressed a desire for more flexibility in tailoring the platform to my specific needs. For example, I have requested additional customization options for visual elements, user interface, and form designs.2. Formatting limitations: I have occasionally faced challenges with formatting and layout options in Smartsheet. For complex or detailed formatting requirements, I have found the platform's capabilities to be somewhat limited compared to dedicated spreadsheet software.3. Performance with large datasets: Smartsheet's performance may be affected when working with extensive datasets, particularly in terms of loading times and responsiveness. I work with sizable projects or large amounts of data and have occasional delays or sluggishness.