Escapia

Vacation rental software and guest management system

4.5/5
4.4/5
4.2/5
Customer Support Software
4.6/5

Katie

Great Software for Vacation Rental Business

Reviewed on 2021-06-03

Great software for a small to medium sized vacation rental business!

Great software for a small to medium sized vacation rental business!

Pros

Switching from our old PMS was handled very well by the implementation staff and we are so glad we made the move! The most important part to our decision to switch was the integration with VRBO/Homeaway and bring able to work with a website host/digital marketing agency that understands our PMS.

Cons

The service order module is not set up well for how we run our maintenance staff. Our staff is not able to enter a task assigned to a unit number with an amount of time associated with it, that we can then transfer to an owner statement to be charged. There are too many fields that need to be filled out and it just doesn't make sense for us.

John

Going Beyond a Necessary Evil

Reviewed on 2020-10-28

I like the changes we are seeing in Escapia. I still have some baggage from their past communication practices (starting around 2018) that have given me a lasting impression of a "like it or leave" attitude. By this, I mean that they would make sweeping changes that felt at odds with their service partners, with little window for feedback or interaction, all while knowing that there are few better alternatives to their platform. They've improved their communication since 2018, but I still find myself unsure if their changes are for the better of their PM clients. I think they are taking the right steps, however, and my trust is being rebuilt in them.

Pros

I like the gradual commitment to improvement that Escapia has been implementing over the past year. I think the COVID-19 crisis prompted urgent action on improving their software, now that most people in the vacation rental industry are working remotely. The UI changes and business/performance dashboards have made navigating and interpreting information much better.

Cons

The unit integration navigation still feels clunky. Thankfully, we don't have a substantial amount of 3rd-party apps that we need to integrate, but it would be nice to have a core integration hub that makes app navigation easier.

Bradley

• Customer Support Software

Does a lot of stuff... if you can figure it out

Reviewed on 2018-09-19

Pros

Escapia has a lot of features: EscapiaNET allows you to distribute units to many listing sites and other softwares, the rate engine and fees allow you to set up a lot of rate rules etc, and the reservation grid makes it easy to see which units are booked when. There are also a lot of reports available to generate from Escapia.

Cons

Escapia's biggest con really is that it is so complicated. Nothing is easy to do in Escapia, nothing is intuitive. Even after using it for years I still have a hard time remembering and figuring out where everything is. There is a lot of support documentation, but even that isn't always easy to use, and some of it is outdated.

Mike

• Customer Support Software

Great software that is well established in the vacation rental industry

Reviewed on 2022-10-27

We have found Escapia to be an established, tested, and well-engineered product that serves us well. Although there is no perfect property management system for the vacation rental space due to the industry's overall fragmentation, we have been impressed with their willingness to listen to customer feedback on suggested enhancements. Most importantly, their support is a key attribute to our relationship. No matter how small (or large) our support needs are, they have always been quickly accessible and extremely helpful in delivering solutions.

Pros

Trust accounting is the backbone of our business and we rest easy knowing that Escapia's accounting module is rock solid. Our integrations with other products has been seamless and we find the overall layout and functionality of Escapia to be intuitive and not "click" intensive.

Cons

We don't have any complaints about Escapia

Brian

Best Overall PMS system today

Reviewed on 2021-10-08

After almost 4 years I have found them to be very responsive and very caring on helping us grow.

Pros

Ease of use and strength in functionality

Cons

Reconciliation and lack of out of the box solutions. All must be custom.

Jeremy

Escapia just works!

Reviewed on 2022-12-01

Overall, we find the system to be well suited to any vacation rental business, large or small. It takes some getting use to as most software does, but the flexibility to set things up in a customized way is a big deal. And the support team for Escapia is second to none in the software industry!

Pros

We have many nuances to our business but Escapia seems to have the flexibility to set up for most business situations - we like having choices.

Cons

Since we often compare our vacation rental software (Escapia) to our long-term rental software (AppFolio) we realize it is more difficult to train and operate in Escapia - the system is unfortunately not very intuitive when it comes to set up. The user must know how to set up a new property for example as the process involves many different screens and applications.

Bethany

• Customer Support Software

Love Escapia, excited for their new software

Reviewed on 2019-08-22

I have loved my experience with Escapia and VRBO! They have wonderful customer service and this software is very easy to use.

Pros

I have so many great things to say about Escapia. My number one is customer support. If you can't figure something out immediately, give them a call and it will be fixed within minutes. We manage 70 vacation rental properties and use Escapia for pictures, descriptions, rates, everything! We recently attended one of their meetings where they announced they will be launching a new, more updated Escapia to combine their other softwares as well. I am very excited!

Cons

Sometimes it will go out for a while, but they do always have it back up and running in a timely manner. There's nothing to say I like the least because they are always willing to fix anything.

Michael

• Customer Support Software

Great product, full of features

Reviewed on 2019-03-19

Great customer service. Very robust feature list. I couldn't possibly manage our rental list without a strong piece of software like Escapia.

Pros

Escapia really is a full-service solution. Reservations, housekeeping, trust accounting...it's all in there and works together. I looked at several options before choosing Escapia and none of the others offered as complete a system. Also, they have amazing customer service. Tech support is great. They respond quickly and are very knowledgable.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have isn't about Escapia, but about HomeAway. When HomeAway switched to secure messaging, it made it more difficult to deal with inquiries in Escapia. Also, there are of course some minor changes I'd like them to make to Escapia, but they are constantly improving it.

Gary

• Customer Support Software

We've built our whole company using Escapia. The sales and tech support teams are incredible.

Reviewed on 2017-11-02

Pros

Easy to use. Good owner statement and reporting features. Grid based inventory. Support questions are immediately addressed.

Cons

We need the ability to send correspondence from multiple email addresses. There should be a separate email address drop down menu box for each office, or for each unit somewhere in the set up. It's an odd feature to be missing, because everything else about every unit and office is customizable (the correspondence documents, the booking modules, the rate plans and the unit setup. It would be so great if each unit could be assigned to a "send from" email address so that confirmations and statements came from that email, or from the reservations agent in charge of managing that property.

Alexandra

• Customer Support Software

Perfect for vacation rental management companies small to large!

Reviewed on 2019-04-03

I have used Escapia or V12 at several companies for more than 8 years and I think once you learn the basics, it is very easy to become a master user, and I keep finding new features and reports that are really helpful!

Pros

The 3 best features of Escapia are 1. they are always updating and adding new features to be current with trends and needs of property manager. 2. They have absolutely the best support team of any software I have used to date. 3. The seamless integration with VRBO/HomeAway is unmatched with any other program!

Cons

The upfront cost is steep especially given how many other web based programs charge per unit and not a huge upfront commitment. And the aesthetic of the site to me, is not very appealing and seems out of date.

Brittany

• Customer Support Software

Easy, efficient, and well worth the investment. We have been on for over 4 years now!

Reviewed on 2018-02-27

Pros

Easy to use, constant updates with details/advanced notice and how-tos, many....MANY reports from which to choose. Great marketing API feeds for listing sites/software to help you succeed in the vacation rental space, color-coded reservation grid for easy filtering and tracking.

Cons

The ability for Homeaway/VRBO brand to match back reservations on source - I pay for a secure software. The last thing I want is my data being stored, shared, and who knows what else by marketing platforms.

While the reports are fantastic, sometimes it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own report that didn't cost an arm and a leg for information that's already in the system.

Shawn

Escapia Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 2016-11-08

The Escapia/HomeAway team has a great group of individuals that I believe truly care for the future and well being of our company as well as other property management companies. Escapia offers a great training program for new employees as well as ongoing support and training for existing users. Every facet of the software is being constantly improved. Reservationists enjoy the grid's flexibility and functionality. Housekeepers love the Housekeeping dashboard. The use of automatic payments and contracts have been gamechangers in saving time and improving efficiency. Overall, I'm not sure if you will find a better rental management software and team behind it for the money. We love it.

Pros

Yield managment, training, uservoice, automatic payments

Cons

Still think there's room for improvement on the service order side.

Abby

• Customer Support Software

We've used Escapia for 11 years and depend on their excellent support staff to keep things...

Reviewed on 2023-01-20

After 11 years I'm still very happy with Escapia. I know they are working hard to update and improve all features in the software. And because of their excellent customer service people, we are staying with them for the future.

Pros

Customer support is easy to reach and very helpful. They are always working to improve the software and be current and ahead of the competition. In today's complex market, that is not an easy job.

Cons

As the company's bookkeeper I've always wished for a better accounting module. But for reservation management, it is great.

Emily

• Customer Support Software

If we leave Escapia, I quit.

Reviewed on 2016-11-09

The software is incredible. Support is a-ma-zing. Our Client Solutions Manager is possibly the most responsive person I've met in my whole life. Hands-down, my favorite thing about Escapia is that THEY are never satisfied with where they are. Any question I have or suggestion for improving functionality is taken seriously. I have never worked with any software (in this industry or any other) that is so in tune to what their clients want. I've told our business owner, "If we change software, I quit."

Pros

Escapia is never happy with the status quo. They listen to clients and make sure the software grows with our needs.

Cons

Check in! It's not functional. We go off-book and use a Google Spreadsheet. It has a long way to go.

Gail

• Customer Support Software

I’m not liking the changes Homeaway has made

Reviewed on 2019-03-01

I have a good account manager that helps me through the changes they make, and that has made my decision to continue to list with them easier. They used to be a lot more “ vacation manager friendly”. I prefer to stay with the subscription model vs the PP, and feel like since they changed I haven’t been getting as good of booking results.

Pros

The reach that Homeaway /Escapia has is undeniably huge. I like that they have established a bridge or portal with my software company, so I only have to enter the listing info once.

Cons

I really dislike the way they have changed their business platform from a marketing platform to a booking platform.

Mandi

• Customer Support Software

Room for improvement

Reviewed on 2019-06-18

Escapia is taking feedback and appear to be working to improve the software. Currently though it is a daily frustration. The system stops working daily, it's slow, doesn't communicate well with our other software systems. Hoping the new updates later this year will remedy many of the issues we've experienced.

Pros

For the most part it is easy to use and mostly self-explanatory for creating and monitoring reservations.

Cons

It experiences glitches or stops working almost daily. We continuously receive a screen for "server error" or just a grey spinning wheel, that prevents your from doing anything. Many days we have to log off or clear cookies just to get it to work again. This happens far too frequently to be beneficial for our company.

Brian

• Customer Support Software

Support is great but some changes to program seem rushed and not thought out well.

Reviewed on 2017-10-04

Escapia is a great retail rental reservation and property management software for vacation rental property managers. The system is always online and support is excellent. The industry is evolving quickly and Escapia tries to stay current.

Pros

The reservations section is very good, distribution partners, and support is great to communicate with. Trust the software and never reporting for reservations.

Cons

Lead management system, service orders, and some accounting reports are very challenging to use and we use outside software for these functions.

Cynthia

Horrible customer support

Reviewed on 2022-04-12

Every time I call with a major problem, they have to send it up the ladder as they say. In effect what that does it put me off for another 48 hours. When I call after 72 hours, I am told it is going to a Tier 2. Again another 48 hours. It has now been a week tomorrow and nobody has even looked at my problem and it is on my bank reconciliation that needs to be done before I pay my owners. Nobody seems to care.

Pros

Ease of making a reservation can be done by anyone.

Cons

It is impossible to get help when you need it. For instance over 60,000.00 disappearing from the bank reconciliation and it has been almost a week and I have heard from noone.

Don

Escapia Review

Reviewed on 2019-05-23

Overall poorly conceived, poorly developed, poorly serviced.

Overall poorly conceived, poorly developed, poorly serviced.

Pros

Thought it would be a good idea to stay with our former software vendor.

Cons

Slow user response time.
Crashes two or three times per day per user.
Tech support blames end user for server crashes - even though we are running Win 10 on Intel NUCs on commercial grade internet service.
Sales representative clueless about the poor performance of the software.
System crashes while trainer is demonstrating the software - "hmm, that shouldn't be happening..."
Awkward use of folios inside of bookings inside of reservations - couldn't make it any more convoluted.
Service order costs post automatically as payables - before the service order is completed.
Reservation calendar does not show departure dates.
System patched together so no consistent and logical task flow for end users.
Guests, owners, vendors - and users - are all lumped together in one contact database.
Does not carry property codes along with accounting transactions.
Poor drill-down capabilities.
Service order and housekeeping work scheduling is missing.

Jeanie

• Customer Support Software

Using Escapia has streamlined our business in a very positive way!

Reviewed on 2017-10-05

Pros

The customer support is on point, and a huge for us. Love the various reports, OwnerWeb Portal, Software University and "Online Community." Keeps our company ahead of the game.

Cons

Pricing plans/coupon codes a bit confusing but support is amazing and does a pretty good job of making sure you comprehend the logistics and helps make sure they are right in your software.

Diane

• Customer Support Software

escapia is great on many levels and you have some terrific associates. but there are still...

Reviewed on 2017-10-05

on line reservations. home away pm app.

on line reservations. home away pm app.

Pros

The support team is great. The reservation system is also great. The marketing is also good. EAsy to use

Cons

Reviews do not transfer over to homeaway and vrbo listing correctly. does not talk to quick books in accounting. Service orders are not the easiest to use. needs work.

Stacey

Escapia Software Review

Reviewed on 2019-01-08

Escapia makes paying owners, tracking renters and reservations as well as lining up departure cleanings. We have used other property management softwares in the past and Escapia is by far our favorite.

Pros

This software is easy to use and set up is a breeze. The customer service is always available to help with any issues when needed.

Cons

Some features are not flexible nor do they work well with the way we have our business structured. They do offer some work arounds but not complete fixes.

DAVID

• Customer Support Software

Best PM software on the market!

Reviewed on 2018-04-11

Pros

Easy to use from front desk to maintenance to owner manager team. Dashboard is very helpful to manage reviews and updated booking numbers.

Cons

Pricier than most. There are some reports needed that can be built but at an additional cost. End of year reporting can be confusing for owners.

Ryan

• Customer Support Software

Wonderful experience and able to take our agency to the next level

Reviewed on 2017-10-10

Pros

Works easily with the major listing sites. Updates are often and the team listens to feedback. Easy for new reservationists to pick up on the system.

Cons

Making rates isn't that easy along with quotes for time periods not set up in advance. Scheduling inspections is not easy either.

Tina

• Customer Support Software

Support system is the best

Reviewed on 2023-01-13

Excellent support and people behind the scenes

Excellent support and people behind the scenes

Pros

I love that i can reach a human and get immediate help with any issue that arises.

Cons

A little complex for a new user, but with the support I can solve my issues