BigTime

Time, billing, expense, payment, and project mgmt software

4.5/5
4.4/5
4.5/5
Customer Support Software
4.7/5

Nicholas
Nicholas

• Customer Support Software

Easy to use software with great customer support

Reviewed on 2021-09-30

As I've said above, fee tracking and time tracking have really tightened up for our company thanks to BigTime. We're able to know the health of our projects in one click with a report.

Pros

Our small business needed a platform to help us accurately track the financial health of our projects. We moved to BigTime from QuickBooks Online because we needed deeper control of our time entries and fee tracking. The Report Center really leverages the data entered into the system so that at a push of a button your data is organized and presented in an easy to understand report. Custom reports are a great feature, and with the help of the support team you can create whatever report your company needs. Thanks to BigTime we've been able to track the health of our projects with precision, and the overall health of our company has BigTime to thank.

Everyone we've worked with at BigTime ([SENSITIVE CONTENT]) have been extremely friendly and helpful whenever we've come to them with a problem or request.

Cons

As BigTime has grown over the years they've taken their users suggestions to heart. If a feature isn't currently active on BigTime it most likely is in the pipeline for future integration. We've seen our suggestions turn into real features throughout the duration of our use of the platform which is always great to see when companies listen to their customers.

Sometimes the reporting center isn't as intuitive as you'd like it to be, but with a little help from their support team they can help custom build your reports with you.

Lori

Big Time

Reviewed on 2019-11-04

Time and Expense reporting for employees who work in different sites. Invoicing has simplified our billing system.

Pros

Ease of use for time reporting, expense tracking, invoicing and tracking jobsites. Mobile App.

Cons

Mobile App is very limited and a lot of glitches.

Emburse SpringAhead

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

Spring Ahead was limited on tracking specific tasks. They did not offer invoicing or mobile app ability.

Response from BigTime Software

Lori,

Thanks so much for posting a review for us here at BigTime - we really appreciate your time and your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're finding the software easy to use for the tracking of your time and expenses, as well as invoicing and making things easier on the go. If you're having difficulty with the mobile app, please reach out to our Support Team for assistance and let your Customer Success Rep know too and we'll see what we can do to help.

Michael
  • Industry: Environmental Services

No implementation support

Reviewed on 2022-10-06

Not happy. We have asked for a full refund.

Not happy. We have asked for a full refund.

Pros

App is a nice feature for mobile time entry.
Updated interface is better than older software.

Cons

This company was heavy on the sales side with relentless calls but has been completely ghosting us on implementation support. After numerous calls and support tickets, they have only directed me to online videos. All we want is to spend an hour with a support agent to ensure the correct setup to avoid lost worktime.

BQE CORE Suite and Factor AE

Reasons for Choosing BigTime

We needed a more robust project management system.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

I thought the size of the company with the robust development team would be a wise choice for us as we have had issues with smaller software companies. It was not as advertised.
John

Onboarding

Reviewed on 2020-11-12

Pros

The onboarding process and support has been seamless so far and we expect to be fully converted in 60 days total.

Cons

Always room for improvement, but we haven't had any with BigTime yet. We need to sort out some details in our Quickbooks Desktop projects to align when integrating.

Deltek Vantagepoint

Reasons for Choosing BigTime

Ajera is not intuitive for making regular changes to project schedules, staffing and resources. Reports are traditional and the entire platform is not HTML, very antiquated in how it operates.

Deltek Ajera

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

Initial Cost, ongoing training and costs to implement custom tools and reports, and implementation timeline was significantly higher in comparison. The smaller size of our company (20) was not a good fit as Deltek requires a full time person in addition to PM's/bookkeeping/accounting to manage.
Adam
  • Industry: Fine Art

BigTimeAwesome

Reviewed on 2020-07-30

All of our work is fixed fee and this allows us to track time and materials live to help us stay on budget and maintain profit margins

Pros

This system was very easy to implement, gives live view into project health and support is amazing.

Cons

Needs more dashboard options, scheduling is a bit basic and Quickbooks integration has been a bit buggy

Buildertrend

Reasons for Choosing BigTime

Dynamics was too complex, expensive and difficult to implement. BT is more in depth out of the box for a small company and implementation was easy.

Dynamics 365

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

Buildertrend charges per project(we have as many as 40 on at once) and does not truly integrate with Quickbooks.
Scott

Big Time is Big Value for small companies

Reviewed on 2021-03-12

I realize at a glance we can see valuable financial information.
the ease of creating invoices if...

I realize at a glance we can see valuable financial information.
the ease of creating invoices if allowing for faster payments.

Pros

This software is easy to navigate, and is very user friendly to edit/customize for your companies specific needs

Cons

It takes time to set things up properly, but that is expected.

Deltek Ajera and QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing BigTime

Mintue7 was not syncing with our QB properly, and the support was not very good to help figure out what it was deleting employee information when it synced.

Minute7

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

Big time and everything we wanted from Ajera at a fraction of the cost.
Bettina

• Customer Support Software

Powerful time and expense tracking, budget management, and invoicing software

Reviewed on 2021-03-24

Pros

BigTime is a very powerful time, expense, budget, and billing tracking software. It's fairly easy for employees to track time and expenses and offers powerful reporting capabilities and a lot of customization when drafting and sending invoices. The on-boarding experience was smooth, albeit a bit work intensive, and customer support continues to be extremely helpful and responsive. It integrates more completely with QuickBooks than the software we were using previously, so is helping us cut down on small bookkeeping issues we used to run in to.

Cons

We don't find the UI to be the most intuitive, and it lacks any visual images of the data or numbers. The capabilities of the software definitely outweigh these downsides, though.

Josh
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Fits our business needs

Reviewed on 2021-06-11

Easy to use and provides the right kind of insight into our project budgets and overall financial health of work in progress.

Pros

Combining project budget and staff utilization management in one solution, with deep accounting integration.

Cons

Activity tracking for project management tasks is less developed than the rest of the platform

NetSuite

Reasons for Choosing BigTime

BigTime offered a more integrated solution for our professional service company

Harvest

Reasons for Switching to BigTime

NetSuite was too complicated and expensive for our needs.
Summer

• Customer Support Software

What Big Time Means To Us!

Reviewed on 2020-04-09

BigTime is solving our inability to properly track time put against our projects, which we have many of.

Ben Kinsel was AMAZING in our first training together. He let us speak freely, as well as give us time to understand and learn anything we didn't immediately understand. 10/10 on training skills!

Pros

My favorite part about this software and the most impactful to our business in my opinion is the ability to assign fixed rates to our projects. It takes us far beyond what we were able to do before, which was very little. The ability to actually be able to track what we make or don't make on each project is HUGE!

Cons

There really isn't anything I have found yet that I do not like, I will most definitely let you know in the future.

Louis
  • Industry: Insurance Software

• Customer Support Software

Easiest and friendliest time-entry tool I ever used

Reviewed on 2021-10-07

I love it. Great user experience. Reports and easily produced in real-time.

I love it. Great user experience. Reports and easily produced in real-time.

Pros

The online real-time time entry makes it easy to record your time as you go. There is also an application that allows me to enter time or submit my time anytime. Very easy to use. It's the best time entry I have used over the last 20 years.

Cons

I would love to say something but found nothig negative. Everybody in the team loves this tool.

Benjah Maina
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Honest Review of BigTime

Reviewed on 2022-02-04

Finding the right project manage the software to keep your projects on time and on budget can be tough. Luckily, big time aims to do just that.Big time is project management software with a focus on time tracking and budgeting.
Big time is project management and billing software targeted at professional service firms such as engineering, legal or IP services. The project management tools allow PMS to track time expenses, project status and task assignments, resource management tools to help keep teams on the same page and see how project plans fit together in big time includes a billing and invoicing features with a variety of industry standard billing scenarios to fit users and their clients specific needs.

Big time is priced per user per month billed annually and offers three plans with increasing prices and features Express Pro and Premier. The bulk of big times features start with that Pro Plan with Premier adding items like resource allocation, revenue projections and unlimited API access. There's no free version of big time but there is a free trial available.

Big time is web based and accessible via modern browsers. But it's also available for download on both Mac and Windows, and has mobile apps for both the iOS and Android devices. Big Time comes with a number of features to help you manage project management functions. Big time features project management tools to keep projects running on time and on budget.

Pros

-Ease of use
-The staff and support as being especially helpful
-The mobile timesheet app is convenient for tracking time on a granular level

Cons

-Data import from previous systems can be cumbersome with the user citing data not matching up after the import
-The intergration with Quickbooks can prove difficult with some users complaing that the system have had a hard time syncing up

Sonia

• Customer Support Software

The training sessions have been paramount to my success with using the software. Brea rocks!

Reviewed on 2017-06-08

Ease of use with Quickbooks integrations and lots of customizations for staff

Ease of use with Quickbooks integrations and lots of customizations for staff

Pros

Straight forward navigation on all tabs makes all operations easy. I like that all of the administrator functions are kept fairly simple; there are a lot of great ways to customize almost everything, without being overwhelming to learn. Most customizations are nice since you really only need to set them up once, then make small tweaks until everything is just right. The software will be very easy to train new employees to use. I love that it links to Quickbooks; I have so much less leg work than my previous software when it comes to data entry. So far a fairly smooth transition from the previous software.

Cons

While there are a lot of ways to customize the appearance of pages for employees, the invoices are still fairly restrictive. I find it odd that I can't change little things like: justifications (Overall message stuck in the center of the page and I can't indent it lower), and the job name is right justified and continues long names to the next line mid word sometimes; the color or boldness of each text line (ex. I would like the job name bold or larger font and some lines to be in color). I know these changes can be made as a word doc, but then it won't change my template in Big Time.. Second, creating a report to my liking has been very challenging. I need a monthly report for each project manager with an individual detailed overview of each project every month. However, when I have tried to tailor existing reports or make my own I always get an error that my report can't be created. Third, our billing cycle falls mid month and it would be preferable if timesheets and billing could be broken up by custom billing cycle rather than monthly. It's hard to track the cycle with just a weekly timesheet view. It's a change we can work with, but it requires a lot of extra work for the admin to constantly filter in invoicing. Lastly, the character limit on job titles is painfully small. We have a hard time getting all crucial information to fit. It would help dramatically if the job info screen had a place to record the address of the job.

• Industry: Research

• Customer Support Software

Good Basic system that is easy to use

Reviewed on 2019-05-14

Overall BigTime is a good system that works for what it is suppose to and is simple to use for someone that knows how to use a computer. We have been able to track hours against certain projects by person which helps us with cost estimating. I am sure there are plenty of good systems out there but I have been satisfied for my responsibility when using BigTime.

Pros

The ability to pull out job lists with titles is very convenient for having team review meetings. You are able to pull out most reports into excel and filter and sort from there. Having the task status is very useful for those who utilize that feature. My office does not take full advantage of the capabilities this system offers but does work for us when being used.

Cons

For the new Gantt chart feature I have not been able to use very much but am disappointed it is not able to be exported into excel like the other reports. The difficulty with this system is that it is only as good as your weakest link. For my office enforcing full participation is difficult and that prevents us from taking full advantage. I do not work in accounting but apparently it does not sync as well as it used to for quick books and other software. This makes work duplicated on that end which is really inconvenient. Another item that is irritating is when pulling complete job list you have to do it a certain way or else it will not pull old jobs that you were not listed as team member for. That caused some confusion/concern during review meetings.

Tamara

Small Business Review of BigTime

Reviewed on 2023-05-23

Overall, BigTime is effective and does what we need it to do. We are happy with it. Customer Support is also really good. They are helpful, patient, and thorough.

Pros

BigTime has all the features we need to track time and expenses and automate billing. Forecasting and utilization tools are also great features which allow us to better manage staffer availability so clients are covered and staffer's aren't over worked. Reporting and analytics are very good, though there are some reporting features that could be improved

Cons

There are some idiosyncrasies that can get tiresome; date ranges disappear constantly when drafting invoices; there are features that have an adverse effect on rate population if not used properly, some internal functions clash if entered (or not entered) in multiple places, online tutorials could be better, live chat can take a very long time - i have noticed that upgrading to Premier has helped - the wait is now no more than a few minutes.

Soncerie
  • Industry: Design

Big Time Switch from Timeslips after 20+Years

Reviewed on 2021-02-10

Pros

It is bendable once you figure out exactly what you need it to do. Customer Support works with you to get to your end goal. I am particularly pleased with the ongoing support have received from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who handles every support ticket with Support, Satisfaction and Complete Competence . Her knowledgebase is clearly an asset to her customers and what she is unsure of, she escalates and does not spin her or your wheels wasting time, which is a precious commodity in the World of REMOTE WORK Space.

Cons

Its inability to perform some task that I am used to which is to be expected in a switch form one system to the next.

Mike
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Data Visibility And Project Cost Management

Reviewed on 2018-12-05

Overall, BigTime has been easy to do business with and the software has optimize our back office. The front end time and expense reporting system allowed us to kill static Excel forms and provide our users with a clean modern interface to start the data entry process.

Pros

BigTime allowed us to optimize how we track project dollars and hours. In the past we would manually enter the data multiple times to different forms and systems - it was always out of date static information. Now, we enter the data once and have real-time access to project costs and hours. The data flows to invoices, reimbursements, and reports.

Cons

Overall, the software is solid. There are a few navigation workflows that can be improved. BigTime is aware of some click stream patterns that result in getting too deep into a project where you need to click back out to the "home" screen to restart a navigation into a project. This happens more on the administration side - the time and expense entry process is simple.

Response from BigTime Software

Mike,

Thanks a ton for taking the time to post a review for us here at BigTime - we know your time is precious and we appreciate you giving a little of it to us! We could not be happier that BigTime has made your life easier and allowed you to optimize how your business runs - that is one of the main reasons why we created the software in the first place! Getting rid of those static spreadsheets and freeing your employees up to do their jobs - that's music to our ears!

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to assist you! Thanks again for the review,

Marek
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

BigTime Review by M.T.

Reviewed on 2023-05-13

Overall, my experience with BigTime was positive. The platform's robust project management features provided me with the tools I needed to effectively plan and execute my projects. It helped me stay organized, track progress, and manage resources efficiently. While there was a learning curve associated with some advanced features, once I became familiar with the platform, it significantly improved my project management workflows. The availability of support resources and responsive customer service further enhanced my overall experience with BigTime. I would recommend it to others seeking a comprehensive project management solution.

Pros

One of the things I liked most about BigTime was its comprehensive project management features. It offered a wide range of tools and functionalities that allowed me to effectively plan, track, and manage my projects. The ability to set up project timelines, allocate resources, track time and expenses, and generate detailed reports all in one platform was incredibly convenient and efficient. It helped streamline my project workflows and improve overall productivity.

Cons

While I found BigTime to be a powerful project management solution, one thing I liked least was the learning curve associated with its advanced features. Some of the more complex functionalities required a bit of time and effort to fully grasp and utilize effectively. Although the platform provided helpful documentation and support resources, I felt that a more intuitive and user-friendly interface could have made the initial learning process smoother.

David
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Excellent for Engineering Services

Reviewed on 2019-11-07

I have tried many solutions in the past and I found BT was the best fit for our organization. Very cost effective compared to other solutions. It requires little time to produce reports and the engineers find the UI for entering time easy and fast.

Pros

Ability to easily add staff, create projects and budgets
Report generation and ability to export reports to excel for pivot table analysis
Fast online server responses

Cons

No ability to import project files from other applications, excel / MSProject
Limited number of levels for sub-tasks

Response from BigTime Software

David,

Thanks so very much for posting a review for us here at BigTime. We really appreciate your thoughts and you're sharing them with us. We're pleased to hear that BigTime is helping you easily create staffers, projects, budgets, and reports and that you're getting some mileage from our exporting feature too. Regarding your cons, those are excellent ideas for Feature Requests, so we would definitely suggest that you do so! If you don't know how to submit a Feature Request, you can reach out to your Customer Success Rep, or directly to us here on the Customer Success Team.

The BIgTime Customer Success Team

Josephine

Review of BigTime After a Month

Reviewed on 2017-03-15

After reviewing four options for Time and Expense Tracking software we decided on BigTime for two reasons: Ease of Use and Invoice Templates. The Time and Expense entry for the engineers in our office was intuitive and easy to learn. The mobile app works very well and is used more than we anticipated.

From the administrative aspect the setup is relatively easy and the user interface is easy to follow and understand. I really like how the screens navigate from one to the other and how I can customize what I want to see on each screen. The clicking on the column headings to view the information in varies ways is great.

We create about 50 - 60 invoices each month where the format may vary depending on the client for each one. BigTime does a good job of providing a base of invoice templates with the flexibility customize. The one thing that is really missing from the invoicing option is the ability to display the Total Cumulative Amount Invoiced as of the current invoice (prior amount + current invoice amount). I have requested this change and hopefully it will be added.

The last aspect is customer support. Two training sessions were included in the software subscription. The first one was good for the very basic information, maybe a little too basic. The second session was much more informative that gave us some good practices to use with BigTime (Brea was very knowledgeable in both). The day to day support seems short handed. Most of the time you have to send an email and wait for a response which could take hours or the next day. As a new user that was a little frustrating. I don't necessarily need to talk to someone on the phone but a live chat would be great to get an answer and move on. That is the one area that I would recommend BigTime address.

Overall we are happy with our decision to go with BigTime and I would recommend BigTime to others.

Pros

The user interface is very intuitive and easy to learn

Cons

I cannot display a cumulative invoice total in the budget summary for invoicing (prior billings + current billings).

bridget
  • Industry: Environmental Services

• Customer Support Software

Efficiency that is well worth the money.

Reviewed on 2018-05-03

Project management efficiency

Project management efficiency

Pros

Bigtime gives us the ability to manage our projects time and expenses more efficiently and work together cohesively as a team.

Cons

Although I love the ease of reporting, it is a little messy. Granted I have too many... but I would love to see them identified better somehow in the list. bullet points maybe?

Response from BigTime Software

Bridget,

Thanks so much for posting your review - it means a tremendous amount to us here at BigTime - your opinion matters to us! We are most pleased that our software is able to make you and your team more efficient and increases your overall cohesiveness. Those are some of our primary goals, so seeing them reflected in your review really makes our day.

Regarding your thoughts on the presentation of reports - that's a great idea! How about submitting it as a Feature Request? We love getting new ideas from our users here at BigTime and if you would like to do so, simply send an email to [email protected]. Please make sure you put "Feature Request" in the subject line of the email and provide as much detail in the body of the email as possible so that we're sure that if and when we implement the feature, it is done properly. Our Development Team examines each Feature Request very carefully.

We hope to hear from you soon - thanks again!

Aaron
Aaron

• Customer Support Software

Bigtime is a game changer for design budgeting, billing and project management

Reviewed on 2017-11-15

Managing our time and invoicing more efficiently and put it into a functioning system and process rather than just using spreadsheets.

Pros

This software has really made it possible to track everything in one place and it can easily be customized to fit your type of business and how you operate. The customer service is second to none. The initial training is top notch and they can walk you through everything to help you get set up. They are quick to respond and get you through every problem you encounter along the way. Worth every penny

Cons

4 stars for "ease of use" is because of the flexibility to handle numerous types of companies the amount of options can be overwhelming but once it's set up correctly and can comprehend the work flow for your company it gets easier to manage changes and additions to your system. Some of the important functions in the system are often small text links hidden at the bottom of the screen and are hard to find especially if you're not used to navigating the system. It would be great if they update these to buttons on the screen in a place that is easier to find.

Robin

• Customer Support Software

System is okay, but doesn't have as many nice shortcuts as our old system.

Reviewed on 2018-04-05

Pros

that it keeps the entries from last week so that we don't have to completely start over each week. It is easy to login to system.

Cons

That there are no short cuts for the comments. You can't create custom reports unless you are an administrator - it is hard to find stuff that you entered months ago

Response from BigTime Software

Robin,

Thank you so much for your review - we really appreciate the time and the effort to let us know how things are going for you in your BigTime. Regarding the "create report" con below - actually, your BigTime System Administrator can, if they so choose, create a user group which would allow this ability to be assigned to any user. The specific permission would be "Report: BigTime Report Administrator" and if you, as a user, are given this permission, then you can create and edit reports without being a System Admin. Of course, this is ultimately up to your company, however, but the ability to do so exists within BigTime.

Regarding the ability to find things that you entered months ago, we would love the opportunity to speak with you more about this. We might be able to provide some tips and tricks or some best practices that could help in this area.

Please do drop us an email at [email protected] - we'd love to help!

Charlotte

Expense/Time Tracking Made Easy

Reviewed on 2018-10-11

Pros

That it sync with our Quickbooks account, makes tracking time and expenses easy and accessible to our employees who work in the field, and the support team is always prompt and helpful.

Cons

The mobile app can be glitching. I recommend to our staff to enter time and expenses on the app, but to review and submit them through the desktop version.

Response from BigTime Software

Charlotte,

Thanks a bunch for posting this review - it really does mean a lot to us that you've taken time and effort to post this for us! We are very pleased that our software is making tracking your time and expenses easy and we work hard to provide excellent customer service, so we're happy to hear that your experience there is positive as well.

We understand your issues with the mobile app and we've recently done a fair amount of work to update and correct some of these glitches. Please be sure and download an updated version from your app store and many of these issues may now be corrected.

We hope this helps! Thanks again,

Phoebe
  • Industry: Banking

Outstanding Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019-01-25

BigTime helps us maintain time for everyone to bill. Setup is easy to sort for reporting.

Pros

Software is very user-friendly and easy to learn. Someone is always available to help with questions.

Cons

Reporting could use some enhancing. Some numbers come out as dates.

Response from BigTime Software

Phoebe,

Thanks so much for posting this review for us here at BigTime - we really do appreciate it! We could not be more pleased to hear that you're happy with both our software and our services, as we work very hard to ensure that you get the very best of both from us! If you're having difficulty with reporting, there are many, many Knowledge Base Articles that you can access for free on our Knowledge Base - here's just one to get you started: http://kb.bigtime.net/using-bigtime/#using-reports

Also, feel free to check out our BigTime Reporting Webinar as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_lGlFvy9o

Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do for you - we're happy to help in any way we can.

Yael

Easy and effective

Reviewed on 2019-08-02

It captures and organizes my team´s times and expenses, providing great operational and management reports, plus information for Project Management EVA (Earned Value Analysis) control.

Pros

The simple and straight forward interface, information structure and ease to operate.

Cons

There isn´t anything I don´t like. The only issue I had so far was exporting reports to Excel 365 on a Windows 10 laptop.

Response from BigTime Software

Yael,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review for us here at BigTime - we truly appreciate it. :) We're very pleased to hear that you find our interface straight forward and easy to operate and that you've got no complaints to speak of! We work hard to provide excellent software and services to our customers but please feel free to reach out if there's anyway we can assist you further.

Thanks again,