Sumo

A free suite of tools for growing traffic on any website

4.0/5
4.2/5
4.2/5
Customer Support Software
3.9/5

Jake The Film

• Customer Support Software

I use Sumo's free suite of tools on my Squarespace site, and I have been 'em for nearly three...

Reviewed on 6/3/2018

A pain-free way to collect emails that go above and beyond what Squarespace and/or Mailchimp can offer to a startup/small business? Sumo has your back, hands down.

Pros

I love the (even at the freemium level) assorted tools they have for capturing emails. With a little bit of coding, you can customize your lead magnets, both in terms of appearance and delivery.

Cons

My only complaint with their suite of tools are their sharing tools, and this is nitpicky. I already have built-in share buttons on my CMS that look great on mobile and on a desktop. The Sumo tool was a real bother when I was using it (2015-2017). It even caused one of my followers to email and let me know it was a nuisance with this lagging (yet persistent in its following) behavior.

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review! We're constantly working on improvements and appreciate your feedback. If you ever would like to test out new features, here is a link to our Ecommerce plan free trial: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T
Good luck with your business!

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Sumo saves your time and allows managing you websites sing up forms on the go.

Reviewed on 10/20/2020

So far Sumo free version is installed on two our websites and everyone is happy with is.

Pros

Code is easy to install via GTM. My favourite feature is smart mode for visibility, which really is helpfull when you need to add a sign up form to your website quickly.

Cons

Sumo is probabbly not that easy to use for new users or those who never used similar services or edited images.

OptinMonster

Reasons for Switching to Sumo

Sumo has 80% of features we need in a free version. It is not overloaded with additional services and options.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Easy to set up, but a bit clunky

Reviewed on 5/13/2021

SumoMe enabled me to get started free with an email marketing automation that would require a paid account with Mailchimp. It was a good way to get started testing things out. As I grow, I'm looking into moving to Mailchimp though.

Pros

It was easy to get started with my email campaigns and it was free. Automation was easy to get started even in the free version.

Cons

The interface leaves a bit to be desired. More guidance would be helpful. In the free version, stats are only available for 30 days. Integration with ThriveCart would be great.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to Sumo

I chose this because it was free and recommended by a good source. Without an existing mailing list, it made sense to start her before paying for a service.
Sachin

• Customer Support Software

Stop Leaving Money On The Table!

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

Sumo which when I first started using was referred to as SumoMe has proven to be a worthy addition to my website arsenal and a valuable tool to recommend throughout my digital marketing consultancy. This set of tools has boost some of my clients email acquisition strategies as a number of clients where established brick and mortar stores but online virgins. SumoMe interface was really intuitive and presented very little headaches for my clients to wrap their heads around with a number of them collecting list of 1,000+ plus emails after previously struggling to even get 50 emails in the beginning.
These tools definitely adds value to any arsenal !

Pros

Grow your email list seamlessly
Address cart abandonment concerns
Ability to collect email address from user on exit
Discount Codes (ecommerce plan offers unique codes)
Autoresponder
And more

Cons

Free version advertises on your website
Plans can be costly if site offers little ROI

Colleen

• Customer Support Software

I really like sumo. I use a lot of its features on my blog. It helped a lot.

Reviewed on 6/6/2018

It helped incorporate features on my blog with ease that I wouldn't of been able to do otherwise.

Pros

I love that a lot of its features are easy to use. They come with very easy to use directions. It has a lot of features that costs money on other programs.

Cons

I use the free version, and I wish it had more choices for that. I also wish it had better choices for email. I have to use another program for that.

Response from Sumo group

Hello, Colleen! Thanks for the warms words. I noticed that you are using our free version and would love to see more features and options under this version. We currently offer free 14 day trial of our Ecommerce plan. Check it out and see if it has what you are looking for: http://bit.ly/2LBfk1T

Magnus
  • Industry: Publishing

Recommended for Leads Collection

Reviewed on 2/2/2019

I also connected it to Google analytics to show overall page views and organic searches.

Pros

I use Sumo on both bookclubs.com.ng and a client's website I had set up on WordPress a few years ago. If you plan to collect emails on your website with pop-ups and other campaigns then I recommend it.
My dashboard also shows me comprehensive statistics such as Top 5 visited pages, conversions rates and all my subscribers.
They also make it easy for you to export subscribers

Cons

This feels really small to add to a review but logging out of Sumo completely will take an average techie awhile. I was looking for the log out button the first time I used it. It was so frustrating. I ended up going on their faq page on their website to find it. 'Click the "X" icon on the Sumo control panel (blue tab) while holding down the shift key to completely log out'. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Experience with Sumo

Reviewed on 9/11/2018

Great product. Have set it up for a handful of clients to build out their email lists.

Pros

Sumo gives users the ability to do one of the most important things an online business needs to do: collect emails to grow their list. They do so with great pop-ups, welcome mat, and smart bars.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a bit clunky. They seem to go wide vs narrow, i.e. trying to do everything instead of becoming the best at a few things.

Response from Sumo group

We're happy to have you as our customer. Thanks for the review!

Shannon Simone

• Customer Support Software

Sumo me is a must have tool for email capture

Reviewed on 8/15/2021

This solves my problem by allowing me to offer a beautiful pop up email collection item on any website with minimal effort

Pros

The Sumo product is easy for a novice to integrate and provides amazing free tools. The welcome mat and email collection features are fantastic.

Cons

I truly like the software and interface. Some additional features must be purchased but that is to be expected.

Tal

They have some bugs but i tried the free version and they keep getting better and add...

Reviewed on 9/17/2018

Good. Gave me what I needed, free

Pros

Easy to use, great guides, helps achieve many marketing goals, combines analytics ontop of your website, great features

Cons

I encountered several bugs that didn't make me purchase but I'm pretty sure the paid version works great. They are a very good company, brand

Response from Sumo group

Thanks for your review, Tal! We are always improving our plans and hope you can feel more confident in using them :)

• Industry: Publishing

• Customer Support Software

Capture emails from day one

Reviewed on 4/15/2021

SumoMe tools helped me quickly add the necessary e-mail capture features to a website, and I didn't need to worry about missing paying customers from day one of having the website live.

Pros

You can set the e-mail capture windows on your site in no time and you can do it for free.
It's great for new content websites or blogs which you need to test for lead captures without spending additional budget.

Cons

I think it could use some reprogramming, sometimes I think the features load to slow and can make the whole website experience go down.

Anthony
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Sumo Review

Reviewed on 10/7/2019

Sumo has helped me double my email subscribers which helps me convert them into customers. I have been able to share my own content with my audience on all my various social platforms like facebook, twitter, etc. to make them aware of new contents. This increases the engagement of my contents hence increasing my traffic as well.

Pros

After looking for a simple tool to increase my website's traffic and collect emails for marketing I found "sumo." It is very simple to integrate into my website. The settings are so simple with many preferences of your choice.

It helped me add social share buttons to my website and helped me grow my email lists at a faster rate. The attention of any visitor is easily caught to interact more with me and my website. Sending emails to a bunch of subscribers in my chosen groups look simple when using sumo.

The pop-up subscription box and the social share buttons are not intrusive and it has an automatic welcome message for all my new subscribers which saves my time of welcoming them with messages all the time.

Cons

I haven't been able to send emails to individual subscribers. It allows me to send marketing emails to only those added to my groups and I don't know why. I therefore believe because I am using the free version that is why I have been limited to that. I would like to be a premium member soon.

Emily

Great, easy pop-up tool

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

We have had a great experience with SUMO. We use it on multiple sites as an email capture tool, and our email subscriptions have tripled since adding this pop-up on our site as the first thing people see when coming to the site.

Pros

Sumo was a great addition to our company website to help gather email addresses through a pop-up when someone comes to the site. The pop-ups are easy to create with either custom imagery and their wizard, or using their basic templates. There are many options for the type of pop-ups that they offer. Implementation is immediate and was something that I could do without needing an HTML programmer. The pop-ups do not interfere with any other tracking or plug-ins on our site, and I like that I can set the frequency to not overwhelm frequent visitors.

Cons

I like the reporting functions, but I would like to see more data as it relates to the success. You get the impressions and actions taken, but I would like to know how many times an individual sees the popup before finally entering their email, if more than once, as an example. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this tool.

Douglas
  • Industry: Sports

Enhance Your Website Visitor's Experience While Also Gaining Greater Insight

Reviewed on 9/7/2019

Setting up Sumo on each of my websites was very intuitive and easy to accomplish. There are features that allow you to personalize the look and the experience visitors to the site will each have. Once set up it then runs on autopilot to track some helpful metrics on those visitors and what they do while on each site. Sumo enhances the look and functionality of the site on which it is installed while providing helpful functions that improve each visitors experience.

Pros

I like best the ease of use in setting up this program to provide my website visitor's with a better on-site experience while also providing me with detailed metrics on those visitors.

Cons

I've been using Sumo on two websites for more than a few years and have not found anything about that I do not like.

Shashu

Great Plugin For My website

Reviewed on 1/5/2019

Pros

I am actively using SUMO on my website now. It's a great tool for my site. I've recommended it to many of my business connects. I use it for signups and newsletter listserves. I like that you can group signups by the promos you're running. The interface is easy to understand, it actually "guides" you through the creating process. It asks your desired outcome and where you'd like the signup box to appear, when, and what it will look like. You can turn on and off the sign-ups at any time. You can also send tests to see what it looks like when someone does sign up. You can check your website analytics with Sumo which is a great perk!

Cons

I hate that many times you have to re-login to sumo when it's connected through your website. Like I have Sumo linked as a plugin and I always have to re-login and I wish it would stay logged in. Also, when you are checking the analytics, I feel it could be more in-depth.
I wish that I could use more than one signup at a time. The unpaid version, of course, is limited. If you don't have design skills, you cannot make a "pretty" "pop-up" box with ease. But, if you're tech/design savvy, you should be okay.

• Customer Support Software

Truly an easy way to collect emails

Reviewed on 9/26/2021

This is a very solid tool for growing your business. I've built email lists in multiple niches and tools like Sumo help you do that fast, using high-converting (tested) elements on your pages. The free version is great to get to know the platform and might even be enough for people starting out. There are a lot of templates available and they all look great. That's important if you care about the look and feel of your website and web pages (and don't want to annoy your visitors too much). Great job, this tool has been around for long and keeps getting better. Definitely worth testing!

Pros

The simplicity is what I like about Sumo. This tool makes it very easy to start collecting subscribers on your website. With just a couple of clicks I was able to start collecting new leads. It's fast and bug-free. There's a generous free plan to test the waters. I took advantage of that before I upgraded. Sumo has a number of tools that you can use to grow your business.

Cons

This tool offers a smooth experience and there's not much to dislike. I do wish there were multiple paid plans available. Now I think most of the good features are in one paid plan. It's to be expected, but compared to other tools, I think this can be improved.

Lee
  • Industry: Music

The Easiest Way To again Customers

Reviewed on 11/16/2018

Superb customer service.

Pros

Easy to use once fully set up. Very important to me is the ability to A/B test promotions and change pop ups, banners and welcome mats according to my current promotions.

Cons

Very little. I have a Pro Account but would like access to a few more “add-one” namely Short Cuts and Cart Casino. These are minor negatives and they would be available if I upgraded my account.

Good looking forms, but the asynchronous loading doesn't help the business

Reviewed on 5/23/2018

Pros

Note that I've only used the SumoMe forms. Ignore this review if you're using their other tools.
The forms look good and you have the option to customize them in more-than-you-have-time ways.

Cons

The SumoMe forms aren't a bad tool, just that... You're at a conference and you have a single page with a SumoMe opt-in form for people interested in your product + some bad internet that you can't control.
The page you worked on only loads the rest of the content and people scroll past the form (the form that doesn't load, because it's made to load asynchronously and it prioritizes the rest of the content before the form).
So basically people just leave because they didn't see the form.

Now imagine the same thing, online, and all the users and their internet speed that you cannot control.

That was the end of our story with SumoMe. And it had the potential to be a good story.

Bogdan
  • Industry: Online Media

One of the best marketing tools I ever used

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

Before using Sumo, I coded the forms myself or used other very poor plugins. After using Sumo, my email list grew much faster and my sales increased.

Pros

Very easy to set-up a pop-up form for getting people to sign-up to email lists.
Easy to integrate with most used email management services such as Mailchimp and others.
Email Automation included in the free plan.

Cons

Could not find the option to disable the forms on specific pages but maybe it's there. Other than that this tool is pure gold.

• Industry: Music
  • Used for 2+ years

An ideal way to start building a list

Reviewed on 4/24/2019

Great starter product, ironically with the type of offers provided by appsumo you'll probably end up ditching this for something else in the long run

Pros

Sumo allows you to quickly and easily grow a list using intuitive opt in forms

You can build a large list of subscribers and then email them all within the free plan, which is great for starting out

Cons

Once you outgrow the free plan it starts getting expensive

It improved over the time frame in which I was using it, but it did seem a bit sluggish

Artur

Easy to use tool

Reviewed on 7/3/2021

Worth the money.

Pros

A very easy-to-use tool for generating leads. Friendly interface, great possibilities of testing various graphic variants. Very useful ready-made pop-up templates.

Cons

A bit unintuitive way to change templates in tests, although perhaps the problem has already been solved.

Tito
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

SUMO is the king

Reviewed on 1/6/2020

Pros

Tried several tools but definitely SUMO is the best solution to grow my business. Easy to use and implement with a lot of documentation.

Cons

I can’t fin any cons. They are improving continuously their product and fixing everything that can be a con.

Mateusz

• Customer Support Software

Great way to engage website's users

Reviewed on 7/11/2018

Pros

Free to use, easy to set well-designed, discrete pop-ups, sharing features engaging content shares on social

Cons

The settings interface could be quicker, sometimes it's difficult to handle settings, e.g. if you have a live chat installed at your website.

Daniel

Easy Email Collection

Reviewed on 4/3/2019

It’s a great experience with this software. It has boosted my email acquisitions strategies. It’s user friendly interface has given few, but little headache.

Pros

It has a pop-up feature that collects email from visitors.
Easy to create pop-ups with images and wizards.
It has the ability off setting frequency not to overwhelm visitors.

Cons

Adverts are placed on your site when using free version.
It comes with costly plans when small amount is offered on ROI.

Melissa

Sumo makes getting new readers easy

Reviewed on 4/11/2019

Pros

I have used Sumo on my site for 2+ years. It has allowed me to capture new followers that I would not otherwise have added to my mailing list. I love the design of the pop ups.

Cons

There isn't anything that I would change about Sumo

Luca
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Sumo Group is a Big Gift for Entrepreneurs

Reviewed on 10/18/2019

I have been using it for years and I tell you to try it now!

Pros

I am a fan of what [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the sumo group team is building. Sumo is an amazing tool and I recommend it frequently to friends and foes.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Sumo is one of the most used and appreciated softwares in the category for a good reason!