Buildium

Siddhartha
Siddhartha
  • Industry: Accounting Software

• Customer Support Software

Best property management assistant!

Reviewed on 2019-08-23

Buildium has helped to share the Rental Owner Statement with the clients, by directly providing them access to it, which allows them to view their rental income details. This software doesn't have much complications as compared to other Property Management software.

Pros

1. Buildium is the one of the best software for Rental and property management accounting
2. It is fast and reliable.
3. It enables convenient emailing.

Cons

There are very less limitations to Buildium, it just sometimes, seems quite time consuming.

AppFolio Property Manager and Propertyware

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Buildium is a software that not only makes accounting on properties an easy task, but also gives the user additional benefits like access to emailing. It is very convenient to use and easy to understand.
Patricia Lynn

• Customer Support Software

Buildium makes my work life easier

Reviewed on 2023-01-23

The overall experience has been very easy because we had so much customer service assistance. The switch has been a lot easier than we thought. We’re going on a year now and we couldn’t be happier. This is our first tax accounting season using the Buildium program from what I heard it’s been very easy to do

Pros

I work with maintenance daily and I love how easy it is for me to use for all aspects of maintenance from work orders to vendor payments. I love being able to track tenants payments in real time and explain to them if and Why something is the way it is without having to pull out files and do a lot of intense research because it’s all right in front of you. I like being able to look up vendors payments, and total cost of repairs for certain jobs. I also like the ease of billing tenants for their repairs and adding to the lease ledger. I enjoy our office staff can all see what’s going on with the repair over the tenant with ease.

Cons

I don’t know that much about the accounting aspect, which I blame myself for. I need to take some buildium academy accounting classes as I really don’t work that much on that end of the business.

Response from RealPage

Hi Patricia Lynn,

Thank you so much for your review. Seeing that Buildium is helping you so much is super-satisfying. Definitely check out Buildium Academy when you've got the time, because it's got some thorough accounting lessons.

I hope Buildium is helping make your first tax season with us quick and easy.

Cheers,

Kayvon

• Customer Support Software

Read this before making the mistake we did !

Reviewed on 2016-11-03

This is the 2nd review we have posted on lack of customer services and the unwillingness of this company to assist their clients. Instead of writing a descriptive review we have decided that we will just copy and past section from the last email communication with the companies supposed "Stevie Award Winning" Customer "dis-service rep" Jeana Pndelli. You as the consumer should decide if you would want to be treats as "low priority" based on the below email.
Client: 9/27
"Hi Jeana,
I have brought this issue up with everyone from call in support up to you now. When you go into reports to search for a budget the drop down menu does not let you narrow down by typing in a letter. Therefore, we have to go through the entire list of all the properties to find the budget we need. Most all other drop downs in Buildium let you narrow down. Why not this one? "
Buildium Response: 9/27
"The "budget vs actuals" report still has legacy coding on the back-end which does not allow you to search within the property field. It has been a while since we updated this feature/report which is why the older coding still exists. I can bring this to our level two support team's attention as I agree each report parameters page should be consistent."
Client: 9/27
"Thanks but just so you know this was already sent to your level two about a year ago when I brought it up. Not sure why it takes so long to fix issues. "
Client: 10/11
What the status on fixing this issue. Last you said you sent it to level two. When will it be fixed? This is an extremely time wasting glitch to have during budget season!
Buildium Response: 10/11
I just checked on the status of this with our level two team. They let me know it was sent up to our engineers and developers.
We don't currently have an estimated time frame for when this change will be made
Client: 10/11
So we don't know if it will be a few weeks or a few years?
Buildium: 10/12
I can't give a time frame for when this will be changed since it's been sent up as a lower priority item. I'll send you an update by 10/28
Client: 10/31
10/28 has passed.
Buildium: 11/1
I spoke with the product manager in charge of this feature last week and he let me know it's still in low priority status but he hopes to have the redesign done as soon as possible some time this year. However, we can't give a definitive time frame just yet since lower priority items often get bumped lower for higher priority bugs.

Pros

Nothing really.

Cons

Lack of customer service. Armature accounting and reports. Unwillingness to listen to their clients. Horrendous file management system. Not for HOA management .

Ty

Great Online Tenant Portal and Property Management Software

Reviewed on 2024-01-23

Pros

Accepting payments from tenants and the online tenant portal is very easy to use and onboard our residents.

Cons

The accounting is convoluted and complicated. You have to learn a lot of the terminology and its really build like a supertool for accounting

AppFolio Property Manager and DoorLoop

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

It was the most affordable option that also had a lot of visual quality.
Aleta

Buildium is the Best

Reviewed on 2022-10-21

Pros

The system is very user friendly, the partner integrations add value that wasn't there before, reports are easy to read, and the Resident Center is a great way to communicate with the tenants.

Cons

I would like to be able to transfer tenants within the community, or to sister properties, without moving out and moving back in and I'd also like the record deposit screen to have a filter function (by property, by unit number, and by amount). A move-out/move-in report would be nice too, and the ability to run the Vacancy report within a specific time frame.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for your review, Aleta! Glad to see that the Marketplace is bringing you some value.

Sounds like you've got some good suggestions. Have you tried submitting them to our developers through the "Suggest a feature" option in your Help & Support menu?

- Charlie

Shannon

Buildium for Property Managment

Reviewed on 2023-11-02

I have worked with Buildium in multiple businesses. We have also tried other software. Buildium has been the best I've worked with for Property Management.

Pros

Tenant and owner income/expense tracking as well as work orders.

Cons

Accounting capabilities are not available yet.

Response from RealPage

It's awesome to see how user-friendly Buildium is for you, Shannon.

Accounting functions are indeed available on the platform and are a core feature. Is there a specific function you are looking for? Reach out to customer care for assistance.

- Charlie

Kim
Kim
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

• Customer Support Software

Buildium is a fabulous choice for any in the property management biz

Reviewed on 2019-08-20

We've been using Buildium for a couple of years now and are very satisfied with it.

Pros

I like the clarity of the way the information is set up and ease of use. Having the Buildium Academy to train is a HUGE bonus.

Cons

I have issues with one area, and that is with the deposit disposition when leaving, but part of that is my fault.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

We chose primarily on price, ease of use and responsiveness of support. Frankly, Buildium was the best and has proven to be a great move! I can tell that Real Estate professionals were instrumental in the creation of this program!
Emmett
Emmett

Great Software!!!

Reviewed on 2020-01-23

We are able to get much better organized, be on top of things.

We are able to get much better organized, be on top of things.

Pros

It is a pure property management software. It has one thing in mind...managing real estate.

Cons

The financial angle is not great. If you know the work arounds, it is OK.

It also does not have a sales tax component like HST or GST in Canada.

Yardi Voyager

outgrew old software

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Ease of use, did not have to pay for training and set-up

Real Estate Property Management

Reviewed on 2021-06-22

Pros

Buildium offers an array of features to help with property management and its interface is very user friendly. To go on, if you make any errors while using this software it can be easily fixed. As well, accounting is very easy to manage and seamless. Lastly, the customer services is very prompt and helpful.

Cons

Buildium is missing a few features that would be desired. One feature is connecting bank account transactions to the actual accounting software for expenses. The other feature that is missing is a payroll feature for salaried employees.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Features, pricing, mobile/web interface, and customer service
Nora
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Property Management Software

Reviewed on 2023-07-05

The product integrates all parts of property management in one place and the customer care team was great.

Pros

Very user friendly and great for keeping track of tenant accounts as well as any work/repairs to the unit.

Cons

There is definitely a learning curve. I would suggest attending a class to set it up and some bookkeeping experience is required.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Buildium is set up to do everything you need in one place. QuickBooks is a bit more cumbersome to track work that was completed for each property.

Response from RealPage

Thanks for leaving us a review, Nora! If you haven't already, and are still looking for some guidance, check out Buildium Academy in the Help & Support menu of your account.

Nicole

best software

Reviewed on 2019-08-08

I absolutely love buildium

I absolutely love buildium

Pros

easy to setup/use
It cuts my job in half
always adding more features
online portal

Cons

I went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

Propertyware

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Buildium had more features geared towards property management.

more user friendly

Response from RealPage

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team.

The Buildium Team

Nancy

Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features

Reviewed on 2019-09-10

Software functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.

Pros

The software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.

Cons

Development of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can respond directly in thread (which is a good thing)- - EXCEPT the link is so cryptic that the average user does not realize it is a link, so they end up emailing us and we spend countless hours copying and pasting just to try to keep our documentation complete. If the developers would make the link more apparent and/or make email replies automatically update the message thread it would be really great.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

I switched because Buildium seemed to have a lower cost and provided the same features. However, the cost has increased ALOT since I implemented.

Propertyware

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

appfolio did not have tenant and owner portals at the time. I understand they do now, and am thinking of evaluating products again for a possible switch next year.
Dustin
  • Industry: Hospitality

• Customer Support Software

Will never use another program

Reviewed on 2020-08-13

Buildium had always been the go to for me. It's user friendly for staff and extremely user friendly for my residents and older residents that aren't as technologically inclined. Anyone can use it. And when my older residents are confused they can call the hotline and get customer services from the team rather than calling is office during off hpurs.

Pros

The ease of importing all of our data and getting everything set up specifically for our hoa property. Everything we needed and none of the rental stuff we didn't. The team assisting us in seeing up the system has been incredible.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike. I would love to have the ability to shower multiple chargers on statements for dues and assessment and have those both track. But the team has shown me a way we can do that until the update team has created that ability.

Entrata

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Our PMC used this product and when it came time to part we ensured not to use this product due to the fact it's not as customizable as buildium nor accounts as well.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

I have used buildium for years. I knew they could customize a plan and payment specifically for our property rather than Trying to use a rental program for an hoa.
Tim

• Customer Support Software

Great product for property management

Reviewed on 2021-03-10

Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Pros

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

Cons

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Was speaking about my challenges with Cozy with another property manager. They told me about Buildium. I made the switch that day.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

The recommendation of a trusted property manager.
Donald

Buildium is Fantastic

Reviewed on 2021-06-24

Buildium has given us the tools to streamline our processes and make daily tasks easy. The online software makes it accessible no matter where the staff are located so that work orders, rent input, communications, etc. can be handled in real-time and on the spot. Everything from leases to lease renewals, maintenance requests to inspections are all in one spot, easily accessible. No more paper files to thumb through. The administration of property management has never been such a breeze.

Pros

As an accountant, the accounting features are awesome. Online payments make tracking incoming rents easier since there is less leg work. You can setup priorities on how payments are applied. The program is easy to use and to navigate. Buildium provides tutorials that are great training tools for new and even experienced users. Buildium was easy to setup and integrate into our company.

Cons

I have yet to find any complaints with Buildium's program. There are continuing to improve and add features on a quarterly basis. There were no issues switching to this software from our previous system.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

UDS was outdated and did not come with nearly the features Buildium was offering. It was time for a major upgrade.

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Like us, Buildium was growing their business and it felt more personable then the other software options.
Cynthia

• Customer Support Software

Glad we use this system!

Reviewed on 2022-03-20

Rents are collected faster and easier. Especially now that fuel prices have risen, and we use a Post Office Box for our Business, this eliminates frequent trips to the Post Office to get rents. AND, the software tracks it all! In fact, we charge the residents who opt OUT of our Portal a fee when we have to process their paper payments (trip to the Post Office, bring back to office, trip to the bank).

Pros

Residents can pay their rent and management billed utilities on line. Even those residents who are not computer savy, we can set up their payments for them (with their written permission, of course).

Cons

Sometimes I feel the techs who write the instructions forget that not everyone is computer savy, so it takes time for the average user of the product some time to figure it out.

Response from RealPage

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for submitting this review. I'm glad to see that we're not only saving you time, but money as well!

- Charlie W

Jackie

• Customer Support Software

Customer service used to be great.

Reviewed on 2022-09-06

While using the mass email function to send owner reports I've had multiple issues with the system not recognizing owner email addresses. I've called customer service and emailed and still have no resolution. The first 1 1/2 I was with Buildium were fantastic. Customer service was helpful and always had the right answer. About a year ago something changed and calls to customer service no longer produce results. I'm considering switching to a new program.

Pros

I like the ease of use, little training is needed to make full use of the system.

Cons

The owner portal isn't as easy to use as expected.

Reasons for Choosing Buildium

Simplifyem didn't have all the features needed to efficiently run my business. Their customer service hours were 9 am to 5 pm PST, I'm located in Indiana which is EST and means that their customer service hours are 12 pm to 8 pm.

SimplifyEm

Reasons for Switching to Buildium

Buildium offered a better price and the features were adequate.

Response from RealPage

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your review. We are always working to invest in the software and the people that support it. Stay tuned!

- Charlie W

Kari
Kari

Buildium is Easy to Use- always

Reviewed on 2018-08-27

I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros

*Ease of use cannot be overstated
*Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious
*Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners
*Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links
*Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles
*Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple
*Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better.
* banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons

*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers
- inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first.
*Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications.
Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property
*Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

Karen

Best investment of our HOA

Reviewed on 2019-06-04

Bookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly residents (usually those in their 80's) don't like portals and believe that their information will not be secure. Younger residents don't seem to have the same issues (by younger I mean anyone under 80). In 2017, when we took over management from a management company, we had a treasurer who wanted to do accounting and tracking with spreadsheets and was literally afraid of online software. He was over 80. Because of the time it takes to manage a community as a volunteer, it is usual to have elder individuals involved in boards and committees. We have it down to a handful of those who refuse to go to their portals. Lastly, my request to have an online process for architectural control does not seem to have gotten to the front of the line. It would be so beneficial for us to have that to be able to streamline another process for self-management.

Pros

Buildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.

Cons

Size of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.

Darren

Pro's and Con's 22 month customer

Reviewed on 2020-02-15

It is not a five star product because of the support they "don't give. The support staff are educators not problem solvers. The software is cheaper than the competitors and it works well. I would buy it again, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fix the problems.

Pros

When you call support you do not have to wait on hold, they will call you back.
Reporting is very nice.
The system actually works.
Price is fair.

Cons

Release communication: When the release breaks something and the accounts get messed up (like they did a upgrade for lease renewals that had a bug where the leases did not renew with the correct rent amount), the communication is horrible and they fix the problem going forward but not the messed up accounts.
Phone support is lacking. When the error cannot be resolved immediately (by telling me what i did wrong), they rarely if ever follow up on the ticket. I don't know how they monitor their open tickets. One fellow did not even create a ticket, so after 1 week of waiting I called back to find out I had to start over. Then I waited another week and called back for a status, and there was no status -- still waiting 2 weeks in. When they have a problem to investigate, they do very poorly.
Lastly, if you accept ACH or credit/ debit card payments and any item is disputed. the only way to communicate with them is via email. They will not verbally tell you anything. You initially get 7 days to provide evidence of a valid charge. After that the dispute remains on your account until it is re-credited to you account or nothing happens, and I mean nothing. In this case your evidence doesnt matter the charge back stands, Buildium doesn't notify you at all. They tell you it can take 4 months for a response and during that time the only way you know if it is settled is to EMAIL them.

Response from RealPage

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your honest feedback about release communication. Our team is working hard to improve on communication for all our releases, including monthly product emails and in-app messaging.

I've passed your feedback on support follow-up to the manager of that team. This is not the experience we want our customers to have, and we thank you for letting us know about what you've encountered.

Best,

The Buildium Team

Charles

• Customer Support Software

A great choice for property rentals (with a few limits)

Reviewed on 2022-01-28

Overall, I am very happy that I've made the switch to Buildium. While there was a small learning curve (as expected), the training we received was excellent. While there are a few limitations to the software for my business model, it works and we've been able to adapt our processes easily to fit Buildium's work flow. As with any accounting software package, it may not be able to do everything your business requires, but it does work and it does work well.

Pros

All in all, this software works great, and is very stable. The process flow is intuitive and simple, but as with every software, has it own unique quirks. Once you get the process flow down, it does pretty much everything you could want a property rental software to do. This software is more directed at either individual landlords, or property rental companies who rent other people's property. If you're a company who self-owns a group of properties, just know functionally the software works great, but some of the reporting options and budget options won't fit that business model exactly.
The functionality is there, and it works well. Incoming payment processing, and the automatic tracking of it works really well, and the multiple payment options are great for my customers.
Moving from a traditional quickbooks-style accounting software to the online system, has been great. The functionality to log-in from anywhere (including mobile) to access the system is a huge improvement, and allowing multiple users to log-in at the same time is great. A bunch of the manual entry and accounting minutia that I experienced before has been removed from my plate.

Cons

From my customer's perspective, there are two main short comings of the software package. The first is the mobile app -- I'm told its slow and clunky to use. The general consensus of my customers is the web portal is superior and much easier to use. The second is the length of time a financial transaction takes. The transaction time for a credit card payment is typically end of day or next business day (not an instant charge), and an ACH is typically 2 business days to pull (so a customer can initiate the payment Friday, but not have money removed from their account until Tuesday.)

From the business/accounting side, while all the data is there in Buildium, you can't do much easily with that data. The reporting side is very limited. While there are roughly about 20 reports built into Buildium, they are limited. There are the obvious Balance Sheet, P&L, Delinquent Customers, etc. reports -- it's pretty much limited to those built in reports. Getting data out of Buildium to play with in Excel is difficult, and the lack of reporting options can be disappointing.

As stated before, the reporting and budgeting options in this software lends itself well to looking at houses at an individual level, but if you're a company who self-owns many properties - you won't be able to budget along the traditional company level -- all budgets are locked to specific houses.

Money Transfer Times - money transfer is moderatel slow - 2-3 days for Credit/ACH, 5 bus days for Retail

Response from RealPage

Hi Charles,

Thanks for writing your honest review! We're glad that you're having a great experience, and that you're happy with the training you received.

It's clear that data for reporting is important to you. We are always working on ways to improve upon our reports, and we could always use feedback on how they can be more useful. You can submit a feature request through the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account.

- Charlie W

Pamela

• Customer Support Software

We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!

Reviewed on 2018-02-02

I had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.

Pros

The customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do things. However, when I ran into any problem with the Buildium program, all I have to do is submit a support ticket. I normally recieve an answer back within 24 hours. If it is a serious problem, I call customer service and I am ALWAYS able to reach a LIVE, FRIENDLY, American speaking Specialist that is able to see what my program is doing and walk me through the problem to the point that I can manage it and they always explain what is going on so I can understand it!! It is the absolute best program I have ever used, in any field, in my entire 40 year career in Property Management! And they are constantly updating the program and making it better! I don't think I have ever been happier with a buying decision in my life. I highly recommend this program and company to anyone who is going to be managing real estate.

Cons

The ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

Response from RealPage

Hi Pamela,
Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium!

Best,
Elizabeth Gill
Senior Customer Marketing Manager

Dora

Buildium Review

Reviewed on 2023-01-23

Would not recommend. Its worth it to pay a little more for another program that doesn't always have some glitch causing misbilling's or has a customer service that is knowledgeable and able to assist in a timely fashion with all issues. We would change today if we weren't in a situation where time is limited due to staffing issues.

Pros

It is a online portal that allows tenants to pay online and view their transaction history

Cons

The Customer service is terrible and the consistent inaccuracy for bill backs for service is horrible. They bill the owner for service dates that do not accurately match the funded dates they list on said bills and are terrible in providing the proper information needed to get that information to the owners. Hold times for assistance is always longer than normal and once you do get someone on the line they typically cant help you if its not within their normal "script" to reference for said issue. They just submit a support ticket and then continuously send follow up emails but never respond with a solution to your problem. Just feels like a never-ending circle of buildium confusion.

Response from RealPage

Hi Dora,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While we are currently in a high-volume season for phone support, this is certainly not a typical experience and not one we would like any customer to have.

You should receive an email response to your review and I hope you'd be willing to provide some more details, including any relevant ticket numbers, so we can look into this further.

Regards,

Carrie

• Customer Support Software

Buildium has given me the freedom to manage property from anywhere

Reviewed on 2023-10-25

I am able to run my entire business from anywhere that I have wifi or service on my phone.

Pros

I like that there is one place that all parties involved can use to run a property management company. I have about 45 properties in three separate towns in Montana and I use it daily for the entire property management process from listing properties to screening applicants, writing leases, maintenance, rent collecting, renters insurance, owner payouts, management agreements, vendor accounting and debt collecting. I had to teach myself how to use Buildium and it was easy because I can just call Buildium support and they walk me thru anything that I need to do.

Cons

The number one thing I don't like is the mobile app because it is not user friendly so on my phone I just go to the website instead and that is a bit difficult. The other thing I don't like is if a tenant pays their rent before the first of the month, it requires some extra work on my end to catch it and then go in and do some accounting changes so that it is allocated to the correct month.

Response from RealPage

Hi Carrie! Thanks for your review. Being a cloud-based software, managing your properties from wherever you are is a HUGE benefit. It's clear to see how that's been helping your operations.

For the mobile app, definitely let us know how we can improve by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu.

As for early payments, did you know Buildium has a Prepayments setting so that it can apply the payment to the correct month? Search our help library for "prepayments," or reach out to customer care for help on how to set this up!

-Charlie

Tom

Reviewed on 2013-01-30

We've been using Buildium for about 2 years, long enough to get a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. My overall impression is that this is a good product for small to medium size residential property management firms (10-100 units). If you have fewer than 10, this product is overkill. If more than 100, you'll probably find it too simplistic. The product is geared to residential properties and residential associations. Managing commercial portfolios with it can be difficult.

The Good:
Accounting functionality is pretty strong. GL, AR, AP, budgets and property ledgers are handled seamlessly. Very easy to use even for beginners. I like the global search functionality. You can pretty much find anything using it without navigating through the menus. Pricing is relatively inexpensive.

It's cloud-based, so you don't have to maintain any software on your own computers. You can access it anywhere with a web browser. Some people see this as a negative, but we've not had any issues with Buildium being down unexpectedly. The scheduled maintenance times are generally late at night.

Support is good if you're having problems with the standard functionality. In general I would say the support staff understands their product well. And you can get them on the phone to explain things. That's becoming less common with companies today.

Document management is hit & miss. I love that I can post a PDF receipt for every expense right there in the ledger. However, documents at the property- or owner level are less helpful. It's just one big bucket per property or owner. Having a folder structure would be a big help. (Not there today.)

Buildium offers tenant bill-pay through an online portal for rent payments, and also outbound electronic payments to property owners. It's done through a 3rd party vendor and at additional cost. This is a double-edged sword. Very convenient; it makes the bookkeeping entries for you automatically. But if you're doing outbound payments, make sure to treat it just like an online banking account (long passwords, be careful of who in your office has access to it, etc.) Allowing for extra security questions or letting users limit the IP addresses that have this outbound payment functionality would be helpful.

The Bad:
As noted, you'll get frustrated if you're trying to use this for commercial properties. The designers make assumptions that you're doing residential.

CRM functionality is practically non-existent. This is an accounting package. They do have some decent (and customizable) postal-mail templates and can do mail-merge so you can send notices to tenants and owners. But this does not extend to email. You'll need another product to do CRM and do double data entry between systems.

There is no integration layer or API, so no chance of integrating this with your CRM system or generating custom reports.

The reports, while nice-looking, are as-is and not customizable in any way. You're stuck with what they give you. They make some odd design decisions sometimes. For example, you can't generate an association owner invoice for an owner who lives someplace other than the managed property. The invoice is always addressed to the managed property, even if you entered a different mailing address for the owner, as if an association owner would never rent out the property. These types of oddities abound, and the product support folks will never acknowledge it as a problem. They'll tell you to fill out an enhancement request, which may be considered for implementation someday, or may not. You'll never know. Providing a way to customize reports or providing an API would help in this area.

In Summary:
Buildium is good at what it does, but what it does is pretty limited. You will likely be happy if you're in their demographic sweet spot (10-100 residential units). It's cheap enough to sign up and try it out to see if it's right for you. If you manage commercial properties, have a very large or complex portfolio, or need integrated CRM capabilities, it's probably not for you.