Showing 1,038 reviews of 1,023

Wave

Accounting, invoicing, and payroll management platform

4.4 /5 (1023 reviews) Write a Review!

Showing 1,038 reviews of 1,023
Fred P.
  • Industry: Photography

I love everything about it's simple form

Reviewed on 2020-12-20

My experience has been great and satisfying. I have used a number of accounting systems that are rather complex or require a large learning curve, better suited for someone with accounting experience.

Pros

I find this software straight forward and very easy to use. It is a simple format and nothing scary about its functionality. I find it perfect for a small business with little to be desired.

Cons

Occasionally I may stumble upon a feature I feel should be available, such as pulling down the email list of the clients. There is none to be found.

Brooke B.
  • Industry: Design

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Reviewed on 2020-08-26

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business Checking & Savings. CapitalOne is going through some changes so I don't blame Wave too much but manually uploading bank statements every month is a hassle. Though I love Spark, I'm hopefully that Wave's banking that is coming soon will be a good future solution. I love Wave for everything else. It's the most rounded and affordable solution for my small business finances.

Pros

It's everything I need in one place. As a small business, Wave is the best solution for me. I can invoice my clients for free, and easily keep my finances up-to-date making tax season worry free.

Cons

Wave no longer integrates with CapitalOne Spark Business accounts, so I have to manually upload two bank statements every month into Wave; One for my checking and one for my savings account, both of which are Spark.

Belinda S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Simple Back Office Accounting

Reviewed on 2017-10-10

Wave seems to be a company looking toward the future for small businesses. With their affordable, cloud based solution they also offer a receipt app for adding images to the expense files. There are many other integrations I expect to use in the future via the Wave Zapier connection. I have been using it for a year now and am just so pleased with how Wave works.

Pros

For small studios, new and busy entrepreneurs who trying to generate enough revenue to hire or outsource the accounting functions, Wave is like an answer to prayer. It is easy to open an account, it has all the accounting ledgers that the tax accountant needs, it connects to read-only of bank accounts and credit card accounts, and did I mention it is a free cloud-based solution. The user interface is easy to understand. You can create and send invoices as well as connect a business bank account to receive payment with Credit or Debit cards. The bank fees are the same as other payment processors at 3% currently. The invoicing function allows for automatically reminding clients when their invoice is getting close to being due and when it is overdue. Once the money is received it is a simple click or two to mark the invoice paid and tell it which account the money was received into. Like other complicated accounting software, Wave allows for setting up products, sales tax and customers. Unlike the complicated ones, it is easy to do. Running sales tax reports is a piece of cake. There are options for running employee payroll, too. All in all, because of the Wave accounting solution, I am no longer afraid of the books and can easily keep up with the administration of the financial side of my business.

Cons

It would be helpful if there were more tutorials available, but because the program is easy to set up, it has not been a big problem to figure things out or find third-party tutorials online.

Great product affordable price for small business

Reviewed on 2020-10-21

Overall it has been a great experience. So much so that I use another software that offers these features but I am not willing to switch from Waze. Anytime I have had to use customer service they have been readily available and diligent with their commitment to helping me reach a resolution. It has made invoicing easier for myself and my clients. It keeps me on top of accounting which is not my strongest skill set

Pros

I mostly use the software for invoicing. The invoices are easy to set up and deliver. They are clear and professional looking. I'm able to customize it with my company colors and logo. Payment is easy on my clients end. I love the ability to set up reoccurring statements and print out customer statements to keep track of client accounts. I also enjoy the future for storing client payment options so that I can go in and automatically charge a payment after Services have been rendered.

Cons

It does not do a great job of categorizing income accurately. It counts some income as two separate payments received versus one. This gets especially tricky when you use outside sources such as payment through PayPal instead of credit card or bank. The app could be more streamlined and offer more features to be able to do accounting remotely.

Sarah P.

Great Web Based Accounting Solution for my Business

Reviewed on 2018-03-06

I now have a very clean and easy to understand accounting and invoicing software. It's a quick learn and easy and fast to use so I can focus on my clients.

Pros

I love that this is free and has the ability to do more complicated accounting that my business requires. It has a clean UI, the Receipts app works perfectly, and my client facing invoicing system looks professional. I love that I can set up recurring invoices, different rates for services, payment reminders to clients, and email confirmations of payment. The accounting side has the ability to create more detailed journal entries that my LLC / contractor based business has. And I can run very good reports for data that I need to monitor. And so far the entire software has every feature that I've needed.

Cons

When you go to create a new expense account, you can't just add a new one, you have to change the name of an existing option in their system. It's a bit weird and annoying, but small price to pay for free and useful software. Also I don't actually have Wave synced with my bank account. I did that initially, then realized if I load a receipt, it was double booking my entries (1. the receipt I uplodaded and 2. the transaction from my bank account). Turns out this is common with accounting softwares and most people I talked to don't sync their bank accounts for this very reason. Again, small price to pay for a great software, and it's really super quick for me to enter my transactions as my way of reconciling my bank account.

Michi R.

Online bookkeeping

Reviewed on 2019-07-26

Overall it has been a good experience with Wave. I enjoy that the options I need are free at the moment and the option to charge and collect through Wave is there for me to use in the future. I also like that their customer service is responsive and you can chat when you have questions.

Pros

I enjoy being able to access my information no matter where I am. The ability to create and send invoices from anywhere is important for my business. I also enjoy that I can help manage multiple businesses from one login.

Cons

There's a small issue with tax computation whereby the rounding takes place at the line item level and is causing in certain instances a small overcharge (Penny to pennies) on the tax. They are aware of this issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved.

David M.

Online Accounting

Reviewed on 2019-12-05

I recommend the Wave software to any small business, it has all the functionality required. You can also pay for support from an accounting professional if you need financial expertise.

Pros

I've used the Wave accounts solution for the past 6 years. Wave provided all the features I needed as a startup business. The ability to easily produce customized and professional quotes and invoices is an excellent feature of the software. Manage your invoices, accept electronic payments, send reminders and receipts. The comprehensive and customizable dashboard provides a focal point for your business and how it is performing.

Cons

I would have liked the ability to create and send Purchase Orders. This would have been a good way of tracking business to business transactions. This transaction type can be recorded manually via the Bills function.

Armando R.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best free accounting software

Reviewed on 2019-07-29

My new "go-to" invoice software. Having multiple clients from different countries. i need a versatile tool so i can get paid without hassle.

Pros

The ability to create multiple currency businesses under the same account. How easy it is to send an invoice and get paid. INtegration with Stripe

Cons

The integration with stripe could be worked a bit. Need to create a "new business" under the same account so i can send invoices in different currencies.

Mark B.

I don't know how this is free, but I love that it is :)

Reviewed on 2020-02-07

Being able to send invoices, send reminders, track payments and send estimates is great. Even better is the ability to get my tax consultant in here to grab all the necessary information.

Pros

It's a super powerful accounting system that helps me manage invoicing to clients, receipts for expenses and quotations for new projects. The mobile app is great for tracking invoices, sending reminders and adding payments.

Cons

The estimate system definitely needs some work. It feels like this aspect was built by a seperate team and the UI/UX is nowhere near as polished as the invoicing system is.

Marc T.

Easy to use accounting software

Reviewed on 2020-04-28

Pros

Ease of use is pretty near
Send professional invoices to your clients
Easily send expense invoices to Wave, and they'll input it in your expenses

Cons

It's far from a complete accounting package. Well to be honest it's probably not trying to be a complete package.
There are some lacking features, but hey, it's free, and it's easy to get started. You might not need the additional features.

Tabitha T.
  • Industry: Veterinary

The free version is great for my needs

Reviewed on 2018-07-19

Pros

I like the simple layout of the software. I also like the iPhone app that allows me to make and send invoices as soon as I finish a job. They've changed the way transactions show up when downloaded from your bank so now I can easily match them to invoices. The simple reports are perfect for my needs. The best part is that it's pretty easy to figure out how to use Wave on a basic level for sole proprietors who have a dozen or so clients.

Cons

Some people might not like the double entry system of accounting. Personally, I've chosen to ignore that feature and simply use the app like a simple transaction register. My accounts don't balance and I don't reconcile with my bank statements. I probably only have 20 or fewer transactions per month so I'm pretty aware of what's going on. If I had to make everything balance, I think the app might be harder to use.

Patrick A.
  • Industry: Furniture

Great No Cost Small Business Accounting Option.

Reviewed on 2019-04-25

This is where small business accounting started for me and I am really glad it was there for me to cut my teeth on. Did I mention that it is free to use!

Pros

It is free, as in no cost. It was a good feature set that is basic but checks all the boxes. For the money it is a great option and a super place to learn about keeping small business books. Highly recommended if you are just starting out and don't want to get roped into a subscription type service.

Cons

There are some aspects of the UI that are clumsy or tedious. For example an operation that could be accomplished in one or two clicks requires 3 or 5 clicks. Sounds like a nit pick, but not when there is an operation that you need to repeat maybe dozens or hundreds of times that requires lots of clicks and submenus. So the flow is not there and it would be easy to correct with some attention to the actual functional user experience. There are also some functions that could easily be automated that are not and so it starts to feel tedious. It also is a more generic set of tools and integrations that are not quite as relevant as some of the other paid options. But it is free and I did use it happily for years.

Adrienne G.

Great Alternative to Quickbooks!

Reviewed on 2019-03-20

Pros

For a small business, this FREE software does everything we need for it to. We were in search of an alternative to Quickbooks and Wave certainly delivered. We need to create and track invoices and client payments and Wave certainly helped us organize our Accounting. This is also cloud-based so multiple users can log in or access this software anywhere they have an internet browser and internet connection. Our Finance Department is able to pull reports when they need in realtime without having to wait on our team to do anything.

The set up was very easy. I certainly don't have an accounting background and I was able to configure everything with ease.

We don't require the paid features for what we need to do so the fact that Wave is free was such a bonus.

Cons

I had a difficult time separating streams of revenue, initially. When I did try to add new accounts, Wave was a little bit "glitchy".

• Industry: Human Resources

Good Product

Reviewed on 2020-02-04

Easy to keep track of payments and pull up information for taxes and submitting

Pros

I used Wave to process invoices and keep track of sales to various clients. Was easy to customize invoices.

Cons

They do take a large chunk of credit card payments and also take 7 business days to release funds that are paid through the bank

Kili T.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Easiest Free Accounting Software I Have Found

Reviewed on 2020-03-03

I was very positive. I was able to get my accounting done for my consulting business done fairly easily.

Pros

This software is perfect for freelancers and consultants. I can important my transactions from my bank and categorize them, just like with paid plans, but for free. Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant. Great value!

Cons

I like most features other than the fact that I cannot categorize items as an expense if money is coming in, which would be helpful for bank trial deposits and such, but I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

Quintin P.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

I suggest this to my startup business clients

Reviewed on 2015-12-01

I'm two years into my business and for nearly the first year I used Wave. It's what I suggest to my clients who are looking for something cloud-based and easy to use. Yes, it is not perfect, but it's FREE. I currently use InvoiceASAP, but I'm strongly considering switching back to Wave after the first of the year. Why? The cost of one, but features are another. Nothing else free compares.

Pros

Receipt scanner.
Invoices look nice.
Email is sent from Wave account (Not quite sure that is a plus or a negative).
Connects to your Bank Account and lets your categorize the transaction.
Dashboard has great-looking layout with graphs.
Paid invoices are marked as a receipt instead of an invoice which makes more sense to me.
Will alert you of non-payment on a regular basis.
Sales Tax Report is basic, but layout is very appealing.
Has Premium Payroll option starting at $19/month with direct deposit included.
On a more positive note, I recently received an email from the CEO saying to look out for improvements to Wave in the near future. Apparently, there will be new tools and features and it will be faster. I look forward to that.

Cons

The App on iPhone and iPad is slow.
I don't remember using support, so I can really speak to how quick or effective they are. It's FREE so I'm guessing it's not superior.
It's not Quickbooks, but it works. However, it you have Quickbooks (Stand Alone version) on your computer and you bank with an up-to-date institution that allows you can integrate for a fee and not have to pay an additional ongoing subscription to Quickbooks online.

Shelle P.

Very Powerful for the price!

Reviewed on 2016-12-08

Wave is a very powerful accounting program that syncs with your banking, giving you separate setups for your business and personal accounting with an ability to transfer transactions between. We all know we need to keep business and personal separate, but it happens at times - we throw in one business item in a cartful of personal ones!

Create estimates and turn them into invoices, allow online paying from your invoices - it is seriously a very powerful application. The one bad thing is that it can run a little slow, but they have made improvements several times since I started (2 years ago) and are always working on improvements (new UI launching soon and they just gave a preview with a survey for feedback).

Pros

- Free version lets you do everything except maybe payroll
- Sync with your banking
- Great estimates, invoicing and online payments
- Great reporting
- Ability to transfer transactions between personal and business accounting

Cons

- It doesn't "remember" your account categories for sync'd transactions
- A little slow
- If you don't understand basic accounting, you might need to sign up for a paid version to get the level of support you may need (according to some of my clients I've recommended it to)

Luis M.

Great software for beginners

Reviewed on 2020-11-10

Overall Wave has been a tremendous software for us. It has helped us to grow and understand our finances. It has helped us to better understand our business income and expenses to better forecast for the future.

Pros

Since the software is mostly free to use it's phenomenal for the beginning business owner. As a business owner this software has helped us to grow and understand our business finances very simply and easily.

Cons

The lack of mobile friendliness. Although there is an app for invoicing, an app for EVERYTHING would be better. You should be able to use an app to view and control everything you can from the web platform.

Provides basic accounting with the best price (none!) and functions 95% of the time.

Reviewed on 2017-11-11

It's no cost and it helps me keep track of where my money is going, and provides reports for taxes at the end of the year.

Pros

The cost
The relative ease of use
Easy to understand reports
Helpful for end of year taxes and business financial review
It's great that it imports directly from my bank account so I don't miss accounting

Cons

Customer support is only via Email with the free version. While it imports most of the time, about once a month I have to wait a week before it integrates my bank transactions. Every now and then it duplicates entries and I have to watch for that. It also offers no directions on what accounting terms mean. I am a small business owner with no accounting experience - a little help in that department would be nice.

Best Accounting Software thats FREE

Reviewed on 2020-09-29

As a freelancer and someone that's not great with financial accounting, wave has really made it easy and effortless to track my sales, expenses, and create professional looking estimates and invoices. Moreover, its super easy to send clients payment reminders which makes it less awkward, and increases the likelihood of getting paid on time.

Pros

Apart from the fact that you can use all the features (except for online payments) for free, the features itself are great. The app has everything you could possibly need to run your own business - even if you're a financial dummy like me. Makes everything super easy!

Cons

I wish there were more options in the invoicing section. For example, if I wanted to add optional line items in an estimate, or split payments.

Luke G.

A data-import nightmare - Stay away unless you love lost transactions

Reviewed on 2020-02-12

Support has been poor quality. As a paying customer of both their payroll service (which is solid) and their accounting coaching, I'm tremendously disappointed with the platform.

Pros

The software at it's core is very easy to use. The reliability is however a complete failure.

Cons

Throughout the past 3 years, Wave has been a game of 'make sure my bank works.' First, I closed incompatible credit card accounts in order to open accounts that were listed as compatible. A year later, Wave lost the connection with all of capital one due to an issue with switching data providers (from Plaid).

Next, Chase bank cards also disappeared. When finally reconnecting, weeks worth of transactions were intermittently missing. For a software company who's core goal is to reduce manual data entry, this platform is a nightmare. Stay away.

Joshua M.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

The Best Free Accounting Software

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

Overall, this software was easy to use and is perfect for just about any small business to stay on top of their financial matters, including professional invoicing.

Pros

I have used Wave previously for my current company (prior to switching to Quickbooks due to a direct integration that was in place already with our business software). I also used Wave for an in home care center business my wife was running. Wave is simply the best free accounting software out there. It's clean, professional, and capable enough for most small businesses. In my opinion, it's a no brainer.

Cons

I would love to see some more integrations with other software. This would have kept me onboard had Spectora and Wave been integrated. With all that being said, it's hard to argue with the price and integrations cost money on the development side.

Alberto O.

Best FREE accounting system there is. No contest

Reviewed on 2019-12-08

Wave was a great software we used when starting out our company. It can honeslty handle everything a small business would need and more. It also offers Done-for-You payroll services at a very low entry price. They can also process your paid invoices at the industry-standard 2.9% + .30/transaction fee. We were overall very happy with the software but eventually outgrew it after a little over a year and moved to QBO.

Pros

Wave offers a very comprehensive accounting and bookkeeping platform at a very low cost....FREE! It does 95% of what any freelancer, self-employed, or small business owner would need.

Cons

The reporting on the software can be a little limited. It has your basic P+L, Balance Sheet, and other accounting reports. Yet, to get to the real nitty-gritty of your business the reporting can be lacking.

Eve A.
  • Industry: Design

Simple but Powerful

Reviewed on 2017-05-23

Easily track invoices and manage customers.

Pros

Just starting out? Want to make sure your books are in order without having to worry about when you get paid? You need to try Wave. This tool is incredibly simple but effective. As an early user, I was skeptical about trying them out but after sending out my first invoice, I haven't looked back. It's just so easy to use.

Cons

My biggest gripe about the platform is that the user interface needs more work. There have been few updates since launch but the fact that they've managed to keep me on despite having a less than stellar UI should speak volumes.

Jill S.

The (nearly) perfect FREE accounting software

Reviewed on 2018-11-21

I really like Wave and recommend it to every business owner I know.

Pros

Besides the fact that the basic accounting side is FREE, I love how easy it makes my taxes since every transaction is labeled and easy to re-label if necessary. Connecting banks and credit cards is simple, and the interface is intuitive.

Cons

Customer support can sometimes be slower than I would like (on the order of a day or two, rather than hours), but I haven't had any emergency issues. I would love to be able to review their payroll feature, but it is not offered in my state yet.