Calamari

Write a Review!
Modern HR management, online leave and attendance tracking

4.7/5

Mary Anne
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Impressed so far!

Reviewed on 2023-10-11

Experience with Calamari is beyond my expectations.

Experience with Calamari is beyond my expectations.

Pros

I've been looking for a time and PTO tracker for my teams as we grow, and we have been previously using spreadsheets which has become too tedious. I signed up for a trial with Calamari and it was an easy discovery of value for money. Setup was easy, and whenever I encountered hiccups, their support was amazingly responsive (3-4 mins response time). I've seen bugs but they fix it in just a few minutes after I reported it. The effort their support team takes to actually help me out was very much commendable (they fixed my accrual rules, sent me screenshots of my actual account on where I can tweak something). They are also very patient, I love tinkering and their support walked me through the entire setup.The integrations with Slack and Google Calendar are also one of the many things I loved.

Cons

Not really a con, but I'd love to see an option to restrict requests on specific months/days.

Flamingo
Marta

• Customer Support Software

Calamari - managing your team's availability is couple simple clicks

Reviewed on 2023-03-15

Overall I'm very happy we are using Calamari, and I would gladly consider adding more modules but they need to be as flexible as leave management and allow us to customize as per our needs.

Pros

The price and simplicity of setting it up and then maintenance. Connection to Slack. Open API that we could use to connect to Float. Very nice and responsvice customer service (dziękuję pani Kasiu!!)

Cons

The UI experience is simple but the user experience is not always what I would hope for. The Calendar view, the way administrators need to click through to everything, often the lists refresh unexpectedly and I'm getting lots between what I expected and what is displayed.

Bob, HRnest, tomHRM and AlexisHR

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

The price and simplicity of setting it up and then maintenance.
George
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

Change your NAME

Reviewed on 2022-04-28

Comsi comsa

Comsi comsa

Pros

Everyone in Greece is sarcastic and loughs when he/she hears your brand name.

Cons

Absense, time management, breaks control

Response from Calamari

Thank you for your opinion.
We're very glad about our company's name - there's the whole story standing behind it ;).

If you experience any troubles with employees' time management, please contact us on:
Our Customer Service team will help you set everything up according to your needs.

Michael

Best HR Tracker for Slack

Its quite good but I worry about the price hike of calamari

Its quite good but I worry about the price hike of calamari

Pros

I love that it integrate to slack seamlessly so that you dont have to have too much app in this digital age.

Cons

I dislike the price hike of calamari. In 1 year, the annual cost almost doubled. And I dislike that some of the feature that was in the old and cheaper version was split into another product that you have to pay again.

Jenna

Would recommend!

Reviewed on 2021-04-13

The customer service and technical assistance that I have received while working with Calamari has been unparalleled. As soon as I signed up for a free trial a representative reached out to me and answered every question I had. For weeks she had very consistent and helpful communications with me and guided me through every step of the way!

Pros

This software is clean, simple and easy to use. it integrates well with Slack and outlook calendars. It's easy for employees to use and keep track of their own time off reporting in an organized way. It's very customizable to out companies accrual rules, holidays, birthdays, working hours and PTO. I really love that our employees do not have to leave the Slack pap to request PTO and check their balance.

Cons

There is little that is missing from this software and they are always making updates! I would say if you have a lot of employees it takes some time to set them all up initially.

Built for Teams

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

It was fully integrated with Slack and they are competitive in pricing
Agnieszka
  • Industry: Biotechnology

• Customer Support Software

Seen from the admin's perspective

Reviewed on 2022-09-06

I like the fact that I have all tracked time in one place, rather than a multitude of excel files

Pros

Quite easy to start tracking time, various options for accepting changes, custom types of absence

Cons

The reports that Calamari generates do not meet my expectations, I can't see tasks descriptions - to see descriptions I need to generate to deffirent types of reports. Calamari adds up the working time added as 'normal' and the working time 'in project', so that instead of, for example, 8h of work in total, including 5h in project, it comes out that someone worked 13h that day. Moving the month view with a bar is annoying

Harvest

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

Our account was migrated from our startup studio

Response from Calamari

Hello,
Thank you for your review.
I passed your review to our team, so we can discuss improving our app to prevent this kind of problem.

In the meantime, you can contact our Customer Success team here:
They will help you set the app in the best way possible.

Saul

• Customer Support Software

A good product at high price

Reviewed on 2021-03-15

I like the software technically speaking, but it seems to me expensive for what it does. A leave management and a clock in software should be so expensive. That's why I am looking for other alternatives like OrangeHRM.

Pros

- Easy of use and implementation
- Easy of customization

Cons

- Clock in and leave management have to be paid separately and are expensive.

Jira and OrangeHRM

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

Because it was easy to set up, and we needed something with no time.
Michael
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Simple and easy to setup

Reviewed on 2022-04-04

Love it. Great value for a small company like mine.

Love it. Great value for a small company like mine.

Pros

We have been struggling with tracking PTO in our payroll service. It was NEVER right because staff had to send messages with leave requests that would eventually get lost. THis was an easy solution that integrated perfectly with Slack so that employee can request time off and their boss can quickly approve or disprove. Time comes right off of their balances that are set. We used annual cycle, but lots of options companies can choose from.

Cons

No cons yet. I remember i had one issue and a suggestion( cant recall what that was though) . Anyway , sent a message to support team and they got right back to me.

Response from Calamari

Thank you for a great review.
We're glad that Calamari suits your needs. Our Slack integration is strongly developed so if you want to be up to date about new features, please follow our What's New page:
If you like Slack integration, you may also be interested in our other integrations with Jira or Google Workspace. Check our page and find out all integrations.

Scott

Calamari does a great job tracking time and PTO

Reviewed on 2022-09-06

It has been great. This was a missing tool for us and move us from Spreadsheet to a proper tool.

Pros

It's easy to use and the workflows that allow you to automatically assign time off allotments work very well.

Cons

At the beginning, the calendar filters are the teams you are apart of. It would be better if there were no filters.

Timetastic

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

It was cheaper and easier to use, The backend tools were better.
Artur
Artur

• Customer Support Software

Simple and easy to use software for absence management

Reviewed on 2024-03-07

Pros

Simplicity, easy setup, good value for money.

Cons

Seats handling in subscription need to be done manually.

Ines

• Customer Support Software

Calamari - worth checking it out

Reviewed on 2021-02-25

Thanks to Calamari we do not have to calculate absences on our own, add them to calendar, inform other people about absences. Calamari solves it all. Emplyees do not need to ask "How many free days do I still have?" - they can just check it on their own.

Pros

When the company is small, managing the time-off management is not that hard. However, when the company grows, it becomes very time-consuming and gets harder every day. Imagine, you have to count annual leaves of 50+ people on your own! It takes a lot of time and it is easy to make mistakes. Additionally, you have to remember to add info about it to calendar and keep an eye on it. Additionally there are questions: how many free days do I still have? Sounds like a hard unnecessary work.
We have discovered Calamari and it was one of the best platforms we have discovered. Users can easily apply for the leave, check how many free days they still got, it is integrated with Gsuite so whenever an annual leave is accepted, it appears in our calendar so we can check whether someone is there or not. Teams can easily check who is not gonna work on a specific day and who can replace that person. From the backoffice side, we can check everything about whole teams, specific people or even set up the acceptance flow for specific absence. No more excel sheets or counting :)

Cons

Nearly every problem we spotted was solved by Calamari team. What could be improved? Some options are not possible to change once set - it can be really problematic, for example settlement of annual leave is either in whole days (with minimum 1/4 od the day) or in hours. Also, if we add a specific type of absence, it is impossible to tick people and move their free days from one absence to another - we had to do it on our own, person after person. It took quite long.

Jessica

Great Service!

Reviewed on 2018-12-05

Pros

I like that I don't have to think about it much, love the Slack integrations for my team and how easy it was to transition from our old process into Calamari. It's simple, clear, and for a small team it has everything I need. The customer support team has always responded promptly when I need anything, and we were even able to extend our trial period in the beginning and converted to a paying customer shortly after.

Cons

So the most annoying thing, and this is a small issue, is not being able to select a range of dates on the calendar by clicking on the days themselves. Again, it's a small thing, but it's something I'm used to in other situations, and so I frequently make the mistake of forgetting it's not possible on Calamari. I suppose the other thing is that it's not always immediately clear how to make use of some of the finer features, and so I simply haven't been bothered to find out if they're even there. For example, I spent a little while searching once for whether we could only make it possible for employees to request annual leave in the future if they will have accrued it by the specified date (and not just if they have already accrued it, if that makes sense), but it wasn't obvious how to do so or even if it were possible, so I just kind of left it. These relatively minor complications are the kind of thing that someone in a rush will just leave in the moment, because they've more important things to do, but will be annoying over time.

Isabelle
  • Industry: Human Resources

• Customer Support Software

Calamari: very good quality-price ratio product

Reviewed on 2022-04-28

We love this toll, and we can't wait for all the future features and improvements

Pros

This software/too is super easy to implement, and even if you have specific cases hard to configure at first sight, the Support Team is kind, efficient, quick and offer as much time as you need to solve your issues. Moreover, our employees are 90% of the time immediately independent to use it.

Cons

Some features needs to be developed faster, but Calamari is more and more efficient

Breezy

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

Satisfied since the beginning.

Response from Calamari

THank you for a great review!
We're very glad that Calamari suit your needs and you're satisfied with our Customer Success help. In case of any problems, they're here to help you at every step of using Calamari.

Elia
  • Industry: Banking
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Calamari Review

Reviewed on 2020-05-26

I don't have a lot of time using it, but I do like the interface, it is really user friendly and intuitive. You can easily find the options you need and it allows you to update almost anything. Besides, the integration with Slack makes it really easy for the end users, they just need to add the Calamari bot and they will see the options to punch in, punch out or mark their breaks or lunches. The tool is really cool.

Pros

I truly like that this tool is really complete. It has almost everything you can think of regarding the employees schedules, if you need the users to punch from different locations or to punch from different means like mobile phone or web browser, this tool has it all, it even has the option to print QR codes, you can print the code and place them strategically on your office so the employees can go and scan the code to punch. I also like that it has integration with G Suite and Slack, you can use these tools to import your employees, which makes it really easy to start.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like is that you need to enter the work days of the employees, you need to specify the time the employees work a day, but if you work in a company where the schedules are updated a lot, this part might be a little cumbersome. Apart from that, all good, the tool has it basically all you need for maintaining your employees schedules.

Kamila
Kamila

Calamari really helped

Reviewed on 2019-07-30

Overall, Calamari definitely did help our HR team to save tons of time spent on monitoring the leaves manually. What is more, our team members can see their history and current leave status live. We can surely see the difference using Calamari brought to our business.

Pros

Very user friendly interface encourages our team members to use Calamari regularly.
The tool is also very simple to use so all in-house communication is strengtened because of that.
The Success team writes back within minutes and helps with literally everything so the communication between us/ our team and Calamari is great.

Cons

There are still some HR-friendly feautres to add. For now we find that Calamari is more intuitive for team members rather than Administrators.
For example, the ability to see the history of different kind of contracts and calculate the leaves accordingly, or setting reminders about medical check-ups and OHS is something we still hope to see.

Franek
  • Industry: Events Services

Opinion

Reviewed on 2023-03-15

Electronic leave requests and online time registration can help you manage your business and startup on a daily basis.

Pros

- The company saves on office space;- Employees save money and travel time;- Remote work is seen as an advantage; - the company has employees all over the world and can use the best specialists

Cons

- With distributed teams, there is a greater risk of misunderstandings- It is not possible to build a company culture in the office, as, for example, Google

Response from Calamari

Thank you for your review.
We're working n our new Core HR module which is fcused on people and documents. With new features you will be able to give your employees additional information that will help you manage distributed teams.

Camille
  • Industry: Design

• Customer Support Software

Amazing HR app, saved me from having to hire HR professionals

Reviewed on 2019-02-02

We were looking for an HR solution for an SME, and we selected this one. We set it up a little over two years ago, and have not really had any glitches since. Once a year, we program the vacations for the whole year, and it does the rest. Employees request leave through the app as well. I highly recommend this software for companies of similar size.

Pros

Manages employee hours, vacations, and sick days without a glitch. Also works great with iBeacon. I purchased and configured an iBeacon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G0VS64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and configured it to work with the free Calamari app on each employees mobile. The result is that the software could keep track of every employee the second they walk in, and their last exit from the office every day.

Cons

I have not really had anything that I didn't like. I had trouble deleting employees who left our company, but the support staff were very prompt, helpful, and friendly.

Response from Calamari

Camille, Thank you for the feedback!

Agnieszka
  • Industry: Maritime

Growing organisation

Reviewed on 2020-07-24

The Calamari implementation within our company was easy and quick, very well supported by Calamari support. We use integration with Google Suite and Slack. We use the Calamari leave module on daily basis for applying for different kinds of absences, as well as reporting onsite presence in the office since COVID-19 started, I use a dedicated absence type to register and track employees presence at the office. As an admin and approver I work with Calamari on a daily basis, it is easy to use, I use the mobile version on my smartphone as well. So far the contact with Calamari support was easy and fast. The functionalities are suitable for growing organisation, it is easy to increase the number of employees covered by the application. My overall satisfaction with Calamari is high and I would recommend it for growing and fast-changing organizations.

Pros

ease of implementation, good contact with support, ease of use, mobile version , integration with Slack, Google Suite, Jira, ease of renewing the subscription, the development of the application functionalities

Cons

I only miss one functionality - the automation of moving approved hours/days from one absence type to another

Raymond
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 2022-04-04

Pros

We like that we modify easily how leave accruals are earned as well as the time tracking and leave management.

Cons

Editing a timesheet is a pain and takes a lot of time.

AttendanceBot

Reasons for Switching to Calamari

It was a lot easier to use and cost cheaper.

Response from Calamari

Thank you for the review.
If you have any troubles with timesheets or you have an idea how to improve it, please contact our Customer Success team. They will help you resolve your issue. In near future we're going to introduce new views of our web app so stay tuned - there will be many improvements of the app's usability.

Arkadiusz

• Customer Support Software

The best tool for the absence management

Reviewed on 2021-02-25

Thanks to Calamari, managing absences and holidays of all the employees in two offices, in two different countries is now fairly simple and efficient. Each office may have its own rules and holidays and yet, thanks to the shared calendar and employee catalogue, we have a full transparency of whom, when and why has a day off.

Pros

- Simple and yet powerful management of absences (approving holidays through Slack is such a time saver)
- Extended setup possibilities for the absence types (accrual rules)
- Possibility of configuring everything, including holidays calendars, types of absences, contracts and approval processes
- Slack and google calendar integrations
- Great customer care and fast feedback, our issues with Slack integration were solved pretty fast

Cons

- The look and feel of the web app is a bit outdated (but it's simple and clean which is good)
- UX is a bit clunky from time to time (especially when you have multiple accrual rules to work with under one absence type)

Uros
  • Industry: International Trade & Development

Brief after 6 months of use

Reviewed on 2021-03-15

Not that good, but not bad.....I see it as product which is developing, so will wait to see till end of the year are there any improvements.

Pros

Useful product with lot of integrations and useful features.
Simple and clean without crowded features icons etc.

Cons

USABILITY!

As a person who use various web applications on daily basis for decades, I find not that intuitive position of some buttons and especially on large screens my "pointer travel time" to reach click button is long.

Also, just by adding some minor improvements usability can be better.
Proposals:

- implement possibility that user choose font (or change font, it might be personal taste, but existing one is so 2010)
- number of records per one listing / page. I am currently running small company ~20users and I frequently need to change pages to load more results for list of employees lets say. maybe somewhere in settings you can allow admin to select number or rows per page.
- maybe replace tabbed navigation with accordeon, sometimes is useful to see multiple values from different tabs selected

and at the end - creating accrual rules its complete nightmare, your support team (kudos to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) saved you for leaving this product. He really set up everything for me.....but.....user should be able to do it by himself, right?

so...very very hard to set it up

Giovanni
  • Industry: Automotive

• Customer Support Software

Thanks for your job But can help us more

Reviewed on 2022-09-14

We have, thanks to Calamari, our hours project under control.

We have, thanks to Calamari, our hours project under control.

Pros

Easy, quick to learn, possibility to change different kind of project during the day.

Cons

I cannot automatically set the clock to the nearest quarter of an hour more when the employee arrives late in the morning or in the end of the day. Example, 8:03 should be automatically shifted to 8:15 or 17:38 --> 17:30

Response from Calamari

Thank you for your review.

Regarding your issue, please contact our Customer Success team here:
They will help you set the app according to your needs.

alexis
  • Industry: Media Production

FEEDBACK media agency

Reviewed on 2024-03-07

Great experience overall and very happy. It would be amazing to have the chance to discuss with an agent to develop even better our own utilization and see how to improve together with a feedback session to reply to particular needs.

Pros

Calamari is straight forward, easy to understand and to use as well to integrate iwth other app such as App calendar to share with the whole team

Cons

Some of the logic of the system could be more optimized like having an automatic calculation to subtract the overtime from the absence so we know if we are in positive or not. We right now doing this internally and would love to have it implemented.

Den
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Speak for itself

Reviewed on 2022-04-29

I have been using Calamari for 7+ years and am still a happy customer. It saves me heaps of time and I can focus on other tasks. Staffs can DIY check their leave records anytime.

Pros

Intuitive. The screen is pretty much self explanatory. Easy to implement and use.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. If I had issues which I couldn't resolve, I always dropped them an email and they responded promptly.

Mariana

Amazing app! Extremely recommend

Reviewed on 2021-10-21

Amazing experience. Calamari fits perfectly to what we need.

Amazing experience. Calamari fits perfectly to what we need.

Pros

The system is easy to use and track information. All tools are user friendly and the team also likes to use the clock in / clock-out system.

Cons

I would like to integrate Calamari with G suit details. We use G suit for the calendar and would be great to have the birthdays and annual leaves flagged to the Google Calendar

Response from Calamari

Hello!
Calamari allows the integration with Google Calendar with birthdays and annual leaves. If you couldn't set it as you wish, please contact our Customer Success team here:
https://calamari.io/contact or via Intercom's chat available on our page. Our team will help you set things up in the way you need it ;).