Zen Planner

Paul
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Happy to be back!

Reviewed on 2019-03-28

The reintroduction to Zen planner has been great. I'm learning new things and I'm excited about the dashboard that will show me exactly what's going on every day at first glance. It's exciting that I can customize it as well!

I can't say enough good things about my onboarding coach. She was and continues to be amazing support with Zen Planner. I appreciate all of her patience and genuine interest in helping me utilize the software to its​ maximum potential for my business.

I'm looking forward to growing with Zen Planner

Pros

I left for about four years because I felt like the software was missing some integral parts for my business.

Now I was needing something different and looked at Zen Planner again. The​ changes they have made over the past four years has been amazing.

This is not a company that sits idle and is content with the status quo

Cons

The system is a little complex but I believe it's more to do with the novelty of it and all of its features.

Response from Daxko

Thanks Paul! We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you are enjoying the new features and updates!

Maribel

Keeps me organized

Reviewed on 2020-03-11

I'm not the most organized person and doing all admin, billing as well a coaching my clients, Zen Planner helps to keep the back end of my business organized and running smoothly. The automations are great if they're set up correctly. Their customer support is amazing!! Not much waiting time and my issues are always resolved. When I started, they're pricing was pretty competitive. Although, they've gotten much pricier over the past year.

Pros

Having automated billing, emails and scheduling. Being able to pull billing reports at a moment's notice to see where my finances are is a plus.

Cons

Having so many options for reports and automations. It can be very confusing at times and sometimes having two steps to accomplish a task isn't clear.

Mindbody and ClubReady

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

The price, automations and their customer support.

Response from Daxko

Thank you, Maribel!

Kris

• Customer Support Software

Very poor software with appalling customer service

Reviewed on 2017-04-14

We are a martial arts school who used the software for 3 years, on the basis that while the software didn't do everything we were looking for they were putting in product feature requests to make improvements, and to fix the many bugs in the software. After 3 years they finally came back with: "I do not have a timeline for release on features that you have suggested. Any changes or additions we make to Zen Planner need to be commonly requested, and fit into the Product Team's vision for our software. As a result, some features you have requested may never be implemented."

However I have seen many other martial arts schools request similar changes. So after initially promising everything to get you signed up, they then back track if you keep following up with them trying to get a straight answer. Continuing to try and hold them to account results in: "Zen Planner is not for everyone, and it's important that you find a system that works for you. This message is providing you with notice that your Zen Planner account will be closed" and I have also heard from several other users that this has happened to them as well.

So they misrepresent their software, then promise to get it working, take your money - and you invest a significant amount of time setting it up, and then more time every week doing manual workarounds waiting for a fix they never intended to make. Then they just cancel your membership without giving you enough time to transition everything, particularly changing over your billing for members.

Some of the issues are: parents signing up their kids for martial arts classes is very difficult and confusing for members. They can't use the same email for their children - who can be too young to even have their own email - and then automated emails don't send as there is no email for the member. When they try it often results in an error and they try signing up multiple times, bloating the database with duplicate registrations and memberships, which are tedious and difficult to combine, that cause errors while completing. I ended up doing more admin to fix this than signing them up manually. Then booking classes for kids is so difficult I ended up doing it manually for parents.

Also a main feature they promote is be belt progress skill tracking - this is designed for entering a single workout for a cross fit box, and so trying to enter results and comments for a grading against all the skills is totally unusable.

Pros

For existing members, once you have gone through the lengthy set up process, it processes payments automatically for you, but making changes is very difficult. It is easier to just use the payment gateway provider directly and use a manual system to track it.

They did have financial reporting - but I found them to be more trouble than they were worth, but I am a Chartered Accountant and might just have standards that are above minimalistic offering available on Zen Planner.

Cons

It is extreemley difficult for parents to book classes for their kids, especially for more than one child, for more than one day - as the calendar defaults to the parent -with no classes as they don't have a membership. They need to change to the first child then click on one class then reserve a place, then go back to the start for the next class & child.

Also for automations to work the child needs an email entered, and you can't use the same email as the parent, or link them to the parent. Apparently this change is too difficult as many members asked, but they won't fix it. When the automations don't work, parents think there is an error and start another registration, which creates many duplicate records in the database. Manually combining them, updating profiles, and manually sending the "automated" emails takes more time than just doing it manually.

The skill tracking system is also very badly designed, it is almost unusable, and takes a huge amount of time to enter if you want to record results against all the skills a martial arts student needs to know in a single session, such as a grading or pre-grading. Members can't even see what skills they need to pass if no results are previously entered, or a summary of their skills.

Shelly

martial arts use

Reviewed on 2019-05-08

The customer service has been great in helping us resolve issues and work around systems that aren't quite what we need.

Pros

We like that we can track student count/growth, attendance, belt ranking, finances, and appointments all in one place.

Cons

The calendar is not easy to use and often leads to errors if you don't follow certain steps.

Square for Retail

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

ability to track all portions of our martial arts service in one place

Response from Daxko

Thank you for taking the time to review Zen Planner, Shelly!

Diane

Getting started

Reviewed on 2019-05-23

We are now in the process of building our website and it’s content. Zen Planner has made this difficult process so much smoother. I have heard horror stories from other gym owners that didn’t go with Zen Planner. I’m thankful everyday that I made the decision to go with them. Best choice ever!

Pros

We are opening a brand new Jiu Jitsu academy and this has been a whole new experience for us. I’m not very computer savvy, but EVERYONE at Zen Planner has been so helpful and made this so easy for someone like me. I’m very happy with this company.

Cons

I have had nothing but good experiences with Zen Planner!

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

I always received call backs. Their followthrough is impecable. Our training conference calls were easy and flowing. User friendly and very knowledgeable support team.

Response from Daxko

Glad to hear you're happy with Zen Planner, Diane! We appreciate the feedback.

Jenny
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Amazing

Reviewed on 2023-01-10

Pros

I love how simple this software made it to do everything our yoga studio needed. It was also user friendly for our students. We love it overall.

Cons

I do wish there was a cheaper option for small studios just getting started.

Kristy

• Customer Support Software

very happy i made the switch!

Reviewed on 2022-10-06

Great! client account alerts are super helpful to make sure we are getting paid any money owed

Pros

It makes it simple to manage the most important tasks at my gym without over complicating things.

Cons

a few auto emails could improve/be added

Fyonna
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

[SENSITIVE CONTENT] the Onboarder is FANTASTIC, I am so impressed

Reviewed on 2022-05-04

so far so awesome

so far so awesome

Pros

We had challenges with paysafe integration, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] stepped in to fix, I am running a busy studio plus teaching/coaching and she was a dream to work with ( I was not), such an asset to Zen,

Cons

color schemes, and the time it took to imput information that was just not a skillset i had, I learned and I am glad it took time

Raeleigh

Outstanding back up support

Reviewed on 2020-02-13

I am pleasantly surprised by the support in getting this all set up - great communication and very patient and informed team!

Pros

easy to use- straight forward set up lots of customizable options

Cons

like everything it takes a little while to get familiar - layout and set ups are different but this is not a negative it's just part of the process

Response from Daxko

Thank you Raeleigh, we'll pass your kind words to our support team!

Beth

Good Overall Studio Management Software

Reviewed on 2019-07-10

The migration process was rocky. About 30% of the database has inaccuracies. They need to improve and automate this process. Tech support is excellent. Customer support was slow to resolve a billing issue I had. They refused to speak to me on the phone and did not return emails. But everything finally got straightened out with persistence on my part, and an effort to make up for the issue on their part. Overall, customer support is generally very good. The software works well, is not buggy. Overall, I really like the software except for the way purchasing works.

Pros

Reporting is excellent, the best I've seen. I like the fact you can create your own reports. After learning how to use the system we have been able to create any reports we need. That is definitely not the case for Mindbody or Wellness Living. The Kiosk application is nice to have and our clients like it, but needs some improvement. The Front Desk and Kiosk Applications are easy to learn which is helpful as we have 10 teachers at the center.

Cons

The POS system does not work like all other online systems (choose what you want, put in user info, payment info then press complete or check out and credit card is charged), and works differently in their different interfaces. The Front Desk software does not allow for discounts (that is being addresses in a future release). The Dashboard processes the sale, then you have to process the payment separately in a different step. In the beginning we lost sales because our staff was confused. Many of my teachers are still unsure whether a sale goes through or not. When the Front Desk application can accept accept discounts and credit card swipes it will greatly improve the POS process.

The client kiosk does not include a form for entering info for new clients and signing a waiver. For some strange reason that is on the staff side of the application. We keep it on the staff application but it means after a client signs the waiver they could get to a screen that offers a free class, which we do not actually offer. I have a hard time understanding why that is baked into their software, it is not considered a best practice. We have found work arounds for these issues but would like to see an updated and more robust kiosk application.

The automated emails are very good and it integrates with Mail Chimp. You can also implement a retention process with tasks assigned to different people.

Response from Daxko

Thanks for the feedback, Beth!

Ross

• Customer Support Software

Zen planner does an ok job

Reviewed on 2021-07-22

Would not waste my time with this software, they don't deliver on their promises, invent fees to access your data, don't follow through with their support. It took me 3 months to get them to finish my cancelation as they kept sending emails to students saying they owed because their payments failed AFTER I switched to another system. Very unprofessional and rude.

Pros

It was quite a bit less per month then any of the other software I checked into at the time. It did an ok job for doing parents nights out.

Cons

On the surface it looks like it will do a good job but in reality it is buggy, poorly implemented and just didn't deliver on the promises it was supposed to.

Mindbody

Reasons for Choosing Zen Planner

Wanted to upgrade to a program that had better billing and automations

Reasons for Switching to Zen Planner

Zen looked like it would do everything that Rainmaker did for less than half the price, 2 years and lots of frustration latter I switched to Spark,
Kelly

• Customer Support Software

Zen Planner is great - PaySimple is shit - They really need to find a new way to take payments.

Reviewed on 2019-02-13

As I said, Great but at the end of the day I can't handle the ridiculously overpriced dishonour fees that EziDebit charges and I am afraid I am already looking for a new software system. I dread the change but unless Zen Planner ditches EziDebit/PaySimple - I just can't support them anymore. I think I will move to Glofox.

Pros

I love the easy to use back end and the app is something that my students absolutely love - it is so easy for them to book into classes. Plus it is great being able to do pay reports for my teachers through the back end.

Cons

I am a big fan of Zen Planner but I have to say the payment platform with who they partner with is absolutely terrible. EasyDebit/PaySimple really let's Zen Planner down with exorbitant fees, delayed processing (then they charge a big dishonour fee to my customers) and an archaic user interface. I really think it's time that Zen Planner ditched EasyDebit and switched to Stripe or another payment gateway with more reasonable fees, immediate processing and an easy to use app that makes for easy refund of customer money if needed.

Also can't make the reports as specific as I would like - e.g. see income per month for a specific income category which is frustrating.

Alejandro

• Customer Support Software

Awesome and they continue to work to add new and wanted fuctionality

Reviewed on 2017-05-11

One stop shop for managing my business. Automation. And the ability to do a lot with little or no staff.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to manage. It has a great modern look and they don't try to bundle everything in one app. They have different apps for sing in, staff use, and member. I love the reports, and the face check in. Easy to find athletes by their face. Great for when you have new staff. It truly is a great bundle for workout tracking, integration with current website, and integration with marketing emails. All things other companies charge extra for. I would and have recommended this software to other gym and martial art owners.

Cons

The apps are great for managing but missing some fuctionality such as being able to schedule privates on the app. They where missing staff clicks in, retail sales but they have recently added those. Hard to find much I dislike and what I do they don't seem to be standing still, adding new function all the time.

Michael

My review 10-10-22

Reviewed on 2022-10-10

I think ZP does a great job with support. That to me is super important!

I think ZP does a great job with support. That to me is super important!

Pros

Billing and scheduling is made easy through ZP which is my only function right now.

Cons

This is not a email system that is all encompassing so it makes it hard to set up a nurture program. Having it integrated with Mailchimp in a cleaner way would be great. It's not easy to manage.

Henry

New Report

Reviewed on 2022-10-20

Overall, fairly positive experience.

Overall, fairly positive experience.

Pros

Great for keeping track of students, Billing and tracking ranking for all students, contact info for all prospects, email to all in database with different filters

Cons

Difficulty of getting proper fields to be in a report. Difficulty working with different age group migration (student moves to new group, conflicts and mistakes happen) Pricing is getting a bit high, gone up 50% in 2 years with no major improvements or features, and during covid, limited and slow response time for customer service, but....higher prices...

Juan Ignacio

Best Customer Service I ever experienced

Reviewed on 2019-07-26

I run all my programs, classes and appointments. I also use it to bill my customers and record all my expenses. It is a perfect solution for a gym of sport facility, we are a fencing club with over 100 active members.

Pros

It covers all my needs, but the best part of it is the Customer Service. They helped me for every step over the implementation and they have always been available over the 3 years I have used the SW to solve all my questions. It is not only about issues but also about functionality questions. They are super friendly and useful.

Cons

The SW is very good, sometimes I would have preferred a few things to be organized differently but it is not a good deal.

Response from Daxko

Thanks for the review, Juan! We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our customer service team.

Sean
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate Software

Necessary, but not perfect

Reviewed on 2021-05-07

I've used it for 5 years and it has been essential to my business. It will take you awhile to learn how to use it and you will get frustrated at the beginning. The best thing about ZenPlanner is their customer service. They are quick to respond to emails and give you very detailed instructions in their responses.

Pros

It does help you run your fitness business much more smoothly. I couldn't imagine running a gym without some type of software like this.

Cons

Very steep learning curve with all of the features - almost too many. I'm 5 years into using it and still learning new things I can do with it. It was very overwhelming when I started using it. The app is also pretty bad, although they do update it with new features.

Marlene

Best Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019-05-13

While there have been a few limitations to booking appointments as well as classes, Zen Planner still makes it possible to juggle and offer both seemlessly. Clients can manage their schedules and payments online which allows me to focus on other important matters.

Pros

This software is easy to learn, implement and user friendly. Super easy integration and the customer service is outstanding! They are regularly updating and upgrading features and respond positively to feature requests and feedback. Easily have the best software on the market in my industry and I'm not sure why more people do not choose Zen Planner.

Cons

Some minor limitations such as color typology features on the mobile app have been limited and app functions such as calendar syncing and calendar default settings restricted.

Response from Daxko

Glad to hear you're happy with Zen Planner, Marlene! We appreciate the feedback.

Al

Easy to use, Easy to learn - Better than MindBody

Reviewed on 2019-05-17

When I opened my studio I initially used MindBody. I was already accustomed to it when I taught at other studios, I only used it to check in students and process payments. When I purchased it for my studio I found it lacking in reporting and processing fees for credit cards payments were higher than others.

Pros

Simple to learn and easy to use. It has everything you need to manage a yoga studio. Multiple reporting options. Easy access for my students.

Cons

The only thing I would like is a lower price.

Response from Daxko

Thanks for the feedback Al! Glad Zen Planner is working well for your studio.

Magda

Reviewed on 2020-03-03

Customer support is why I'm writing this review. Everyone I have talked with has been so respectful, patient, professional and knowledgeable. Plus, quick to resolve any issue I was having.

Pros

The customer support that comes with the software is so essential. While there are many features, the customer support team helps to navigate through it all. One can tell this team is efficiently trained because they do not skip a beat when it comes to walking you through the system.

Cons

So many features can be overwhelming. The webinar offerings are a good idea to tackle that obstacle.

Response from Daxko

Thank you for the review, Magda!

Rae

• Customer Support Software

Brilliant, from the first meeting, to 4 years later, just outstanding every day.

Reviewed on 2017-05-18

Too many to mention. We couldn't run out business without it. No other software can compare with Zen planners functionality.

Pros

the customer service. You ask anything and they will ALWAYS get back to you. They ALWAYS sort out your concern.
There is so much you can do with the software, from accounting, to wod planning, to staffing, appointments everything.
The back end functionality is brilliant.
The automations available that free up so much time for other things are outstanding. Its just so versatile and can be customised to exactly what you need it to be.

Colin
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

• Customer Support Software

Focus on what you do....and let Zenn Planner allow you to do so

Reviewed on 2019-07-24

Great

Great

Pros

Like minded integration that makes prospecting, enrolling and managing client understandable and user friendly for staff and end users.

Cons

I have nothing negative to report on this product

Reasons for Choosing Zen Planner

They just get it

They get it

Response from Daxko

Thanks for the kind words, Colin!

Jordan

Quick and Efficient

Reviewed on 2019-05-22

Zen Planner is allowing our gym facility to keep track of attendance, memberships, member retention, etc. In addition, it also provides a great way to track member workouts and with the integrating SugarWOD, it will make this process even better.

Pros

The software has so many components to it that it can be intimidating at first, but each component has an explanation of how to use it. This makes for an easy learning experience.

Cons

The mass email component is difficult to navigate.

Response from Daxko

Thanks for the review Jordan! We love to hear that Zen Planner is helping you run your facility smoothly.

Dave

ZenPlanner

Reviewed on 2018-12-14

Zp helped me create and manage clients and billing them monthly. I've been using it since about 2008, so 10 years or so. It has gotten better over time and I've only had trouble with once or twice.

It's a solid system

Pros

When it first came out it was ahead of everyone else. It still has a lot of features but it needs a facelift

Cons

The scheduling system needs to be reworked and overall it needs a facelift. There are many excellent alternatives to ZP out there that can do everything ZP can and then some with a much more user-friendly interface

Eric

Awesome Customer Service

Reviewed on 2022-09-27

Pros

Could just be me not being computer savvy but it’s a pretty steep learning curve. It’s not intuitive at all imo but the customer service is excellent. It’s so good that’s why I keep ZP..without it I would have to find something else.

Cons

It’s too hard to use. Constantly need customer support which is fantastic