Microsoft Visual Studio Reviews

Carlos
Carlos
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

This tools is a example to be followed.

Reviewed on 2022-01-06

I use day by day working with game development integrated with Unity and to prepare classes as a Professor in the area.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is very well integrated to other tools for application and games programming. It is plenty of highlights and default settings that help the workflow! You only need to install and use, is much enough. But, it is possible customize as much as you want too. One of my favorite computational tools.

Cons

Sometimes it can be heavy for some computational systems, but it is not a big setback, because there is lighter version.

I recommend Microsoft Visual Studio if you are a coder.

Reviewed on 2023-08-04

Microsoft Visual Studio is an excellent coding environment software program. It is very easy to use and user-friendly. And it is lightweight and runs smoothly on PCs. It supports almost all programming languages and offers many helpful extensions. These features make it the best IDE in my opinion.

Pros

What I like the most about Microsoft Visual Studio is its support for multiple programming languages, and there are a bunch of extensions that are so helpful, such as Prettier, Live Server and Emmet..

Cons

Honestly, there is nothing I don't like about VS Code. I would suggest making the user interface even more creative and providing a wider selection of themes to choose from.

Just Upgraded to 2107 after 2008 was decomissioned lots of bugs

Reviewed on 2019-05-23

This is a very useful tool. We use it to provide reporting and analytics for our entire operation. It's SSIS features and reporting tools allow us to present data in different formats and real time so issues can be resolved and we can look high level or as detailed as needed at our organaization.

Pros

I like how the Microsoft product continues to evolve. In 2017 we make SSIS on its own server. It speeds up Queries and has always on availability groups. Moving it to the cloud has also helped make it more available. It now has a more robust reporting tool to provide analytics on use and ways to improve run times and queries

Cons

It is a lot different then previous versions. All of the code required major changes to run. There was several issues with connecting to Access databases and Microsoft products that are "known bugs" or being worked on. I cant understand why a product gets out that doesn't integrate with other microsoft products flawlessly.

Nishedh

Microsoft Visual Studio Review

Reviewed on 2024-03-25

One of the best IDE for software development as it is easy to use, it supports intelligence, supports coding, designing, debugging, testing and deployment.

Pros

One of the best Integrated Development Environment as supports coding, designing, debugging, testing and deployment. It supports multi language such as C#, javascript, Typescript etc.

Cons

It might be complex for beginner's, need license to run as a professional.

Min Ye
Min Ye

Reviewed on 2023-08-02

-Multiple Language Support-User-Friendly Interface-Updates and Improvements

-Multiple Language Support-User-Friendly Interface-Updates and Improvements

Pros

-Feature-rich IDE-Intuitive User Interface-Integration with Microsoft Ecosystem-Extensibility-Debugging and Diagnostics Tools-Continuous Improvement-Community and Support-Cross-platform Development

Cons

-Resource Intensive-Installation Size-Updates and Stability-Steep Learning Curve-License and Pricing-Lack of Intuitive Features-Integration Limitations-Performance on Large Solutions

Virginia

Very wide usage opportunity

Reviewed on 2024-04-29

Pros

I use Visual Studio for coding, both in university, so for study purposes, and at work, for creating scripts and programs in different languages.
It is quite intuitive and easy to use, offers a lot of helps and tips, and it can be used for multiple purposes. There are a lot of features that help any developer in coding easily and in a complete way.

Cons

Sometimes it has problems due to resource usage, so sometimes is a bit slow, so it is not so fluid in any PC with limited resources.

Kineta

Management is easy!

Reviewed on 2024-04-10

Pros

I love the quick and easy access the product offers me to do my timesheet tracking, appointment scheduling, and product developing in a convenient and reliable way!

Cons

Everything was great and so far there was nothing that I didn't like.

Mohd Bilal
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 2024-05-02

I liked it very much and I am able to do my work very easily

I liked it very much and I am able to do my work very easily

Pros

I used this application I liked it very much

Cons

I used other applications but they did not have this advantage

MD IMRAN

Outstanding software

Reviewed on 2024-04-29

Pros

I have been using this software for 3 years. Their user interface is too friendly and attractive. Just awesome!!!

Cons

I think they are fixing bugs all the time.

Jae
  • Industry: Accounting Software

Great for projects

Reviewed on 2024-05-02

Pros

Its super easy to use and share amongst people.

Cons

Some times things dont load right away. Not many cons to it though

Maaz
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Microsoft Visual Studio...

Reviewed on 2021-12-16

I love Microsoft Visual studio for its powerful engine, across the operating systems development capabilities, easy support and the quite affordable licensing fee.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is a very convenient and powerful application development software. You can easily create or edit and test a software using it. You can develop applications for all major ooerating systems like Windows, Linux, Android, IOS, etc with it. It supports all basic and advanced programming languages like C, C++, Python, JavaScript, PHP, etc. MS Visual Studio hosts very useful code completion and a powerful auto-suggest feature aling with wide variety of extentions. It comes with plenty of pre-built useful starter projects so you get started without wasting time on setting up basics. It offers a free trial of the paid version along with a completely free version which is very useful for students and freelancers. The subscription price for the paid version is also quite affordable. Its vast and active online community makes getting support easy.

Cons

As far as I have used Microsoft Visual Studio, it has no big problems, except that Nuget packaes sometimes encounter problems. Also the system becomes quite dull and slow when running it, which is obvious due to its huge size.

Lakshita
  • Industry: Entertainment

• Customer Support Software

Microsoft visual studio user review

Reviewed on 2022-12-15

Working on this project with Microsoft Visual Studio has been a great experience overall. I have been able to quickly learn the fundamentals of the program, which allowed me to quickly become more proficient in its use. I have been able to develop code faster and with more accuracy than I ever could with other development environments. The comprehensive debugging tools, the integrated source control and the ability to deploy projects quickly have all been great assets, allowing me to create projects in a timely and efficient manner.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) created by Microsoft to help developers create software applications. It provides a range of tools and features that make it easier for developers to create powerful applications quickly and efficiently. The features I like most about Visual Studio are the high-level debugging and refactoring capabilities, the IntelliSense feature that simplifies writing code, the integrated unit and integration testing tools, and the ability to integrate with Azure DevOps. The user-friendly graphical user interface makes it easy to use, allowing even novice developers to quickly understand how to use the software and become productive in a short time.

Cons

Microsoft Visual Studio Software is a powerful tool for developers, but it does have its drawbacks. One of the areas where I feel that it lacks is in providing an intuitive and user-friendly interface. Despite the extensive documentation and tutorials, it can be difficult to navigate the software and understand what tools are available and how to use them. Additionally, there can be a steep learning curve in getting used to the many features offered by the software.

• Industry: Banking

• Customer Support Software

Father of Drag-n-Drop builder with slickest UI!!!

Reviewed on 2022-01-19

Microsoft Visual Studio is the upgradation of Visual Basic and other IDE to integrate into a big one. For newbie in coding, Visual basic provides the thoughts & experiences of a professional application developer. Simple & easy UI lets you learn & implement an idea into reality at first day at school. Inputs minimal writings & wares out maximum integrated system. What else do you need from a Drag-n-Drop revolution???

Pros

The Microsoft Visual Studio is the best Drag-n-Drop coding platform where a user can tweak ideas and algorithms into simpler and fastest way, make a trial on the go while building apps & software's, Handling database. When you don't have or have a basic coding idea, go for MVS. It will never disappoint you.

Cons

Integrating Plugins & libraries into MVS core system is a bit handful mastery that needs to be mastered for advanced complex stage. MVS decodes a bit slower than other platform. Cross platform support is a least. Multiple user session for remote work is a hard nut to crack in MVS.

Ryan
Ryan
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

First Rate IDE

Reviewed on 2019-03-01

The biggest benefit I get from Visual Studio is the ease of getting a new project up and running. This is a flagship project for Microsoft and it's apparent because they continually find ways to make it more useful which translates to quicker, more efficient code and project delivery. I would be crippled in my day to day responsibilities without it.

Pros

I've used various flavors of Eclipse and IntelliJ on Java projects but I look forward to working in .NET because in my opinion, Visual Studio is a superior IDE. There are so many great features that it's impossible to enumerate them all but some of them I like most are:
1- Projects can be cleanly contained within solutions (a feature Java IDEs don't support)
2- Cleanly integrates with NuGet for package management (doesn't require wacky XML updates like Maven)
3- Has the best code completion and auto-suggest of all IDEs
4- Comes pre-built with so many useful starter projects so it's easy to hit the ground running without a lot of setup
5- It offers a myriad of extensions
6- Its easily the best IDE for writing against CLI languages but is also an excellent environment for writing in Python and other scripting languages
7- It cleanly supports various source control solutions (TFS, Git etc.)
8- It does a really great job of providing a one stop shop for managing cloud and database assets right in the IDE
9- Provides excellent support and design time feedback for unit testing
10- Provides excellent collaboration capabilities

I could go on and on. I love Visual Studio.

Cons

There's really not much to dislike about Visual Studio. It has so many features that it can be overwhelming knowing where everything is and how to make the best use of them. But unlike many other IDEs, I feel like Visual Studio is the most intuitive from that perspective too.

Francisco
Francisco

• Customer Support Software

Couldn't have done it without you, VS

Reviewed on 2019-08-19

I do everything from coding, merging, publishing, you name it. As I stated before, I absolutely could not do my job properly without it; it could stand to improve performance-wise, but the benefits outweigh these problems by a mile.

Pros

By far the best feature in Visual Studio is IntelliSense; writing code becomes a breeze when you can just tab your way through entire lines, making use of the autocomplete, the smart naming of variables and methods. Having learned .NET as my first programming language, Visual Studio was there with me all the way, holding my hand, making things easier for me.
When dealing with a myriad of configuration files, Visual makes it easy by assisting you with modifying these, even providing UIs for beginners and non-programmers.
Luckily, there's also many extensions available which help overcome some its limitations, a testament to the fidelity of its users, who instead of switching to other IDEs decide to improve upon it.
Interactive design windows really help with page building and desktop apps.
Last but not least, dbml designers are a life saver when dealing with databases, seamless integration with tables, stored procedures and more.

Cons

Visual Studio is a heavy application; it really takes a toll on RAM memory and CPU, which makes it impossible to have two instances open at the same time (something very common for me at least). I end up having one in Visual Studio and another on VS Code. Takes quite a while to boot up also.
When building a big solution, it eats up all my resources and essentially blocks my PC until it finishes.
When publishing databases and errors occur, the logs are really poor and make it hard to find the problems.

Vincent
Vincent
  • Industry: Financial Services Software

A big chunk of Application for Python Testing

Reviewed on 2019-10-15

I found it an excellent tool and shows where the pared down VS Code gets its functionality from. It can do a lot if you have the laptop/PC with a fairly modern specification. For the work that I do in Python, it is on a par with PyCharm but has the ability to do a lot more than just work with Python. Most of my work with python is personal now that I have switched company but there will be scope here to help others out.

My next challenge is to see how I can make use of this tool with Go.

Pros

I reinstalled this tool on my laptop to ensure the full process for any new user was understood. I wanted to see what VS community was like, compared to VS Code for Python coding that has been used for some time.
The install whilst downloading is a great feature if you want to get on with life. As for me choosing the various Python related features means a chunky 8GB+ install file and if it can install parts whilst it downloads others then that is a great use of my time.

Actually, I am writing this review whilst the install happens. No lag or stutter from this little laptop. Connecting to my github repositories was very simple for cloning. the next thing that any new user would be interested in is the available documentation. How to Install & Setup, Welcome to the IDE, Whats New and a Training section. That's everything you need.

It is very switched on with dependencies, like VS Code offers solutions and can handle a vast amount of tasks.
The functionality for the test script writing I was doing was excellent. could ask for no more.

Cons

The need for an MS Account I expect has a benefit but I do not see how. Anyone going to use this should make sure that they have a fairly modern PC. As like most Microsoft products they are aimed at utilising the potential from modern devices

Mohammed
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

• Customer Support Software

The best IDE on the planet!

Reviewed on 2020-04-01

Absolutely fantastic experience ever since I started using Visual Studio. It has been a tool that I have relied upon to create projects such as websites, desktop applications, APIs as well as mobile applications. The latest iteration has the biggest range of features and premade project templates so far. All in all, highly recommended!

Pros

-The vast amount of features and facilities is really amazing. Visual Studio lets us build all types of apps and software, right from APIs to even embedded software. The amount of pre-created templates really does help as it creates a lot of the boilerplate code needed for applications and systems.

-The dark mode theme is brilliant!

-It doesn't take too much configuration to get it running, as long as the necessary software packages and libraries have been installed

-Visual Studio is available both for Mac and Windows

-It integrates really well with other applications both Microsoft and non-Microsoft. There are thousands of plugins available within the Visual Studio marketplace and you are sure to find anything that works with all types of systems. Developers are always creating new plugins and extensions and if there are any issues, it is easy to contact them to improve their plugins.

Cons

-Due to its powerful nature, Visual Studio is quite resource-heavy and does take a toll on power and laptop battery performance (unless of course you have a really powerful machine). It does use up a lot of RAM and hardware resources.

-Another thing is that due to its complex nature, there are many features that may take time to learn and understand. There are just so many features that it can be fairly awkward to navigate and use at times.

-Sometimes, Visual Studio does get glitchy and it is definitely common to see weird behavior at the most random of times.

Zandrich
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Integrated Development Environment - Done Right

Reviewed on 2021-08-19

I was introduced to the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE in late 2013, and found myself immediately impressed by the automated markup - something I had never encountered before then, save for Borland products (at the time limited to Delphi). What made the interface all the more attractive, was the option of selecting a "theme", or background colour - although this may seem trivial, any developer who spent thousands of hours typing code in black text on a sharp white background at three in the morning will tell you how significant the switch to a darker theme is in terms of eye strain.

I was also delighted to learn that Microsoft Visual Studio offered support for most mainstream languages, with partial third-party support for some of the more obscure ones. Support this broad is unprecedented in a single environment.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio offers automated, visually-intuitive code markup, all the tools for development and debugging one could ever need, a comprehensive library of extensions and code bases, as well as support for most languages used in the industry - everything Microsoft Visual Studio provides is unprecedented in the field, and has changed the way we develop - indefinitely.

Cons

Although Microsoft Visual Studio offers a "Community Edition" that is free of charge, the commercial/enterprise licenses are quite expensive compared to inexpensive or even free IDEs available. As these alternative IDEs become more complex and offer more modern interfaces over time, Microsoft Visual Studio will have to lower it's price to accommodate small, adaptive teams of developers who lack the capital to invest in the full IDE package.

Vikram
Vikram

• Customer Support Software

Fully feature loaded application for the develpoment

Reviewed on 2022-03-05

Visual Basic is a fantastic and professional programming language.
It comes with a slew of features...

Visual Basic is a fantastic and professional programming language.
It comes with a slew of features that make coding a breeze.
Because this software has certain advanced capabilities, I believe we need have some programming language expertise before utilising it.
If a newcomer begins coding using Visual Basic, he may believe that coding is really tough.
As a result, I only advocate utilising Visual Basic if you have prior coding experience.
Microsoft, on the other hand, provides a free version of this programme for students.
This is a great chance for us to hone our talents using this programme.
This is the best software for you if you are a programmer looking for software for your industry.

Pros

VS connects with the Microsoft Stack exceptionally nicely and swiftly.
It works wonderfully for automating the flow and manipulation of data between internal and external sources, which I do largely with SSIS.
Connecting to data sources is a breeze, as is adding additional DLLs (in my case, I use WinSCP with SFTP) and creating a process.
My solutions' integrated development environment (IDE) has built-in drag-and-drop functions that perform typical actions, so you don't have to manually write everything.
This allows for speedy creation and excellent reusability.
Visual Studio is a tad clumsy, but it provides a lot of functionality.
It's easy to set up and use, and it comes with its own set of tools for things like website construction.

Cons

When installing Visual Studio, you must first determine which extensions and plugins you require.
You can install a lot of things using Visual Studio, but you must know what you're looking for and how to utilise it. Visual Studio, in comparison to lesser weight IDEs, takes a time to load at first due of its completeness and all it contains in. It also takes a long time to install and consumes a lot of disc space.
This isn't a light item. Depending on what you're doing, it may take some time to process.
It receives regular updates, but I don't think the little version changes are necessary, and I'm not sure what additional bug fixes or features they generally give. It's all right.

Joël
Joël

Microsoft Visual Studio review

Reviewed on 2023-06-02

It's my preferred coding software. Microsoft Visual Studio Helps me to build websites from scratch with very cool development solutions. I highly recommend it to fellow developers.

Pros

Microsoft Visual Studio is a simple and hybrid code editor to build nice looking websites, web applications or even debugging.Initially the tool comes free to install with the installation process being super simple (On PCs of course).The User-interface is very clean and easy to use in addition to the plugin library available which pretty much extends some important functionalities and provides a great development flow to my endeavors.The PC is even better as I can easily personalize the tool as per my preferred preferences. There are themes available and very useful plugins.

Cons

Microsoft Visual Studio sometimes crashes unexpectedly. This is so annoying as I completely kills off productivity.

Alastair
Alastair

Visual Studio - A clever, free and intuitive IDE ideal for C# use

Reviewed on 2020-05-09

Overall, my experience with Visual Studio has been very good. It integrates fantastically with my source control solution and it is free as I am using the Community version, which is packed with enough features for my needs. For small to medium size projects, it's hard to go wrong with Visual Studio, particularly the Community edition.

Pros

What I like most about using Visual Studio is its Intellisense feature, as well as its ease of using shortcuts. Firstly, the Intellisense feature predicts what will follow any given word or line of text in your code, thus making development a lot quicker and easier. Secondly, it is fairly easy to create custom keyboard shortcuts for different uses (such as commenting and uncommenting code, mass renaming of variables and objects in scripts). It is also fast to compile and easy to debug via intuitive breakpoints - you can click on any area of your code to lay a breakpoint, making debugging easier.

Cons

What I like least about this software is its interface. While there could potentially be ways of customising the interface more to your liking, I focus on writing code while using it, not customising my interface. As such, the UI can feel a bit clunky and cramped when focusing on exclusively writing scripts, but this may be able to me mitigated given enough time setting up preferences. Also, I dislike the file size and download time of the installation and executable - for an IDE, it takes up a few gigabytes of space on the drive and takes a long time to download.

YagneshKumar
YagneshKumar
  • Industry: Hospitality

Visual Studio Review

Reviewed on 2018-01-28

The benefits of using Visual Studio is the ROI the Return of Investment; Our company relies on Visual Studio for developing, maintaining, and updating our product. It is the source of the growth of our company.

Pros

As a javascript developer, i use always use Visual Studio to develop webpages using c# coding. One of the features i like of Visual Studio is the ability to integrate SourceTree, MySQL, and other third part software within Visual Studio to make all scripts and databases in sync. Secondly, Visual Studio has guidelines to direct you what parameters to use when writing a c# code, it has the basic fundamentals of java variables that will guide me through my coding skills. Third, is when errors occur in my code, Visual Studio provides a more detail information about the error and recommends to insert a specific variable. Fourth, Although my company pays for Visual Studio, the ROI we get from using Visual Studio is just exceptional we are able to generate more revenue using Visual Studio.

Cons

One of the downside of Visual Studio is the installation process, it does take a while good 1-2 hrs to install based on the pc performance, Visual Studio does rely on some existing software to be installed before installing Visual Studio such as Microsoft .NET framework, and MS Visual Studio C ++ both of these products have many versions
I just hope the Visual Studio Installer has those software within the package rather that going to Microsoft.com and installing them individually.

Akshika
Akshika

• Customer Support Software

Best and most intelligent IDE for web and mobile development

Reviewed on 2023-01-11

It has addressed a more significant barrier for developers in terms of the environment required to create the application. creating software to address business issues, particularly those that are large-scale. Microsoft Azure integration is fantastic. can also resolve a number of issues with constructing a scheduler to carry out high-level database queries. By automatically preserving everything and always starting from where I left it, it greatly facilitates my job. Since there are so many plugins available, connecting to services and to code has never been a problem for me.

Pros

The Intellisense feature of Visual Studio has improved over time, so you can now create an Interface. with just one command, is the feature I appreciated the most as a developer. Best tool-related debugging experience. Another powerful tool that speeds up the completion of our code is IntelliSense, which completes our phrases as soon as we type one or two words. It can integrate with servers and more software thanks to its extensions. The GitHub interface in Visual Studio has been helpful in organising and tracking our code changes, which is why I enjoy it.

Cons

The developer community would benefit greatly if VS could enable Naming convention intelligence, which helps to assign classes, models, and other objects appropriate and correct format names. Some extensions, such as nicer and IntelliSense, occasionally cease working properly when we are working. We can enhance these to provide a better user experience.

Best Coding Software - One Stop Software IDE

Reviewed on 2018-02-17

Pros

The thing that I like best about Visual Studio is that it is very easy to use and if you are not used to it yet, it takes very quick to learn Visual Studio. It can support pretty much any code that you are working on. This also has syntax highlighting for every language. Visual Studio is probably something that small businesses would use since it is so cheap and easy to use.
I 100% recommend Visual studio to other people. Visual Studio is easy to use and if people are not understanding the software, I encourage them to keep trying. Visual Studio is a very good product for developing code as it provides syntax highlighting and supports a couple of languages. People that want to switch to Visual Studio as well I fully recommend it because it's something that will help them in the future as it will be in my opinion, and good program to code software.
Some business problems I'm solving with Visual Studio is that it's much easier for colleagues and employees to use. Visual Studio is also very cost efficient which means that it will be one of the best options for businesses who don't have a big budget.

Cons

Something that I dislike about Visual Studio is that it doesn't technically support every single language. Other languages besides JSON, CSS, HTML, Node.js, and a couple more only have syntax highlighting. Other than that issue, I love Visual Studio.

Anuj
Anuj

Saves developers time for "real" development work!

Reviewed on 2018-09-05

Love this IDE. Developers favorite. Saves developers time for "real" development work!
Good thing...

Good thing that Microsoft has now introduced free version and have introduced to open source developers as well :)

Pros

Another great tool by Microsoft!
• One of the Best IDEs available for Developers. Visual Studio's IDE is so much loved and appreciated by developers that Microsoft used it for SSIS and SSRS too.
• One IDE for all sort of developments, you can use pretty much any programming language to do your development in Visual Studio
• Almost all or Perhaps All the industry standard IDE features. It is literally an overwhelming IDE, with far too many features.
• Makes your life even easier with Nuget packages and Entity framework
• Debugging made easy with watchers, quick watch, auto variables etc
• Very helpful Intellisense
• Hit the ground running and work only on the things you should spend your time on. Drag-drop design your windows/web forms and focus on writing the quality code only! Eclipse and any other IDE is no where close to Visual Studio!

Cons

• Refactoring tools are relatively better in Eclipse than Visual Studio.
• Too many versions to choose from (Code, Community, Express, Professional, Enterprise, Ulitmate etc)
• While I always loved Visual Studio for C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, and other development; For some reason, I found the free version horribly slow for Python Development.